Big screen confirmed | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Big screen confirmed

May 8, 2011
I think Simon Hallett’s last missive covered it.

I also think Andrew Parkinson covered it.
The April Chairman Chat didn’t give a reason for the delay.
Could you post a link to the Andrew Parkinson article as I’ve done a quick Google search and can’t see anything of relevance.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
SH said in his April report only that unfortunately they would be unable to proceed with the grandstand works until summer 2023 but didn't explain why. Perhaps it is because they are already committed to the Higher Home Park works this close season plus the big screen?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The two big screens at Wigan broadcast live our game against them but with about a 3 second delay which meant if you wanted to closely look at a piece of action you just glance up at the screen although there were no replays.

It could be the same at Home Park.

Reactions: Lundan Cabbie

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
I’m surprised that the club didn’t prioritise the grandstand seating problem over this screen. While a screen may look nice, I don’t think many fans were actively calling for it. People are more interested in looking at the pitch rather than watching telly!

It also looks like capacity of the ground will be further reduced to accommodate the thing. There are already heaps of seats that can’t be used due to crowd segregation and other issues- do we really want any more space taken up?

I see the screen as a luxury item which could have been added once the rest of the ground has been sorted.
One of the problems of doing anything infrastructure wise for the Club at the moment is the availability of materials and the labour and contractors to do it. To sign off a contract requires certainty that the contractor can do it within the prescribed time. The replacement of the 'horseshoe' seats is a case in point when COVID derailed the original programme.

The reconfiguration of the upper tier seating within an unusually short pre-season would be a challenge, not least when it relies upon the removal and relocation of office space to enlarge the concourse area to accommodate the increase in capacity above existing restricted levels. The Club have to have certainty they can accomplish this contract within a restricted timescale and on that basis I think they are correct to delay the implementation until the close season next year. The shortage and rising costs of materials as well as the sourcing of reliable labour and contractors to undertake the work has never been more challenging, particularly in the south-west. In my time of nearly 40 years in the development industry it has never been worse. Nothing would be worse than an unfinished upper tier without a safety certificate causing significant displacement until completion.

On the big screen the Club have gone through a rigorous process of selecting what on balance is the location where the screen is viewed by the most spectators. Because of the curvature of the 'horseshoe' and the size of the screen it inevitably meant that some upper row seating in that quadrant would be lost. With the cost of the best quality and size screen reaching into six figures I am sure many would accept that two screens would not be a wise expenditure not least when the roof structure will not accommodate it. In choosing the best screen definition they can, albeit at greater cost, the Club have again demonstrated their continued strive for excellence and they should be commended for that.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It must have been in the programme then, I remember someone mentioning the short close season as one of the reasons why. I didn't look at in depth as it doesn't involve where I sit.

May 8, 2011
One of the problems of doing anything infrastructure wise for the Club at the moment is the availability of materials and the labour and contractors to do it. To sign off a contract requires certainty that the contractor can do it within the prescribed time. The replacement of the 'horseshoe' seats is a case in point when COVID derailed the original programme.

The reconfiguration of the upper tier seating within an unusually short pre-season would be a challenge, not least when it relies upon the removal and relocation of office space to enlarge the concourse area to accommodate the increase in capacity above existing restricted levels. The Club have to have certainty they can accomplish this contract within a restricted timescale and on that basis I think they are correct to delay the implementation until the close season next year. The shortage and rising costs of materials as well as the sourcing of reliable labour and contractors to undertake the work has never been more challenging, particularly in the south-west. In my time of nearly 40 years in the development industry it has never been worse. Nothing would be worse than an unfinished upper tier without a safety certificate causing significant displacement until completion.

On the big screen the Club have gone through a rigorous process of selecting what on balance is the location where the screen is viewed by the most spectators. Because of the curvature of the 'horseshoe' and the size of the screen it inevitably meant that some upper row seating in that quadrant would be lost. With the cost of the best quality and size screen reaching into six figures I am sure many would accept that two screens would not be a wise expenditure not least when the roof structure will not accommodate it. In choosing the best screen definition they can, albeit at greater cost, the Club have again demonstrated their continued strive for excellence and they should be commended for that.
But the Big Screen could be seen as a vanity project when there are several issues outstanding that impact on the match day experience of fans such as the upper Grandstand and minor things like the lack of hot water in the toilets everywhere but hospitality.

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: Andy S

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
The two big screens at Wigan broadcast live our game against them but with about a 3 second delay which meant if you wanted to closely look at a piece of action you just glance up at the screen although there were no replays.

It could be the same at Home Park.
I think I’d find that really annoying, especially if the screen was within my field of peripheral vision. It’s well known that the human brain directs attention to sudden movements in peripheral vision. It’s why many adverts and TV programmes make a cut/shift every 15 seconds or so. It’s why it’s almost impossible to sit in a bar and not look at a TV screen even when you don’t want to.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
But the Big Screen could be seen as a vanity project when there are several issues outstanding that impact on the match day experience of fans such as the upper Grandstand and minor things like the lack of hot water in the toilets everywhere but hospitality.
Short term thinking Clive.

Revenue earning stuff allows the club to get things done quicker.

Car Park, seating, floodlights etc will all improve HP.

Prioritising is difficult when spending is limited because of budget. I used to juggle it for about 35 years and despite spending multi millions per year, I still got complaints..

If you’re gagging for hot water, come over to the ‘new side’ which allows you to wash your hands in warm water.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
My only concern is the fact that we are going to make money out of the advertising.

I do hope that it doesn't get like this site (without registering) or Plymouth Live (without an adblocker).

Guess we will have to wait and see how much the advertising interferes with the entertainment.
Surely you go to Home Park to watch the football being played on the pitch, not Dancing with the Stars on a big screen in the corner!

Do you complain about the adverts at the movies that are shown prior to the film?

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I don't get some people on here - So much negativity. If the big screen makes Argyle money whilst also adding to the match day experience then what's not to like? Even if it takes 2-3 seasons to pay off we'll have just that little bit extra funds to be more competitive on the pitch - isn't that what everyone wants ? By my estimate the profit should be around the £40,000 - £45,000 per year mark. In real terms that's paying wages for a youth player to be promoted into the 1st team on terms of £817 a week. Doesn't seem a lot but it all adds up to getting a player in on a £42,500 salary per year.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2004
Anyone remember the electronic scoreboard at the barn park end that appeared for a couple of seasons before breaking down? I particularly remember a pixilated figure that used to jump at down but no sure when it was - early 90s?

Reactions: Tewkesbury Green

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
I don't get some people on here - So much negativity. If the big screen makes Argyle money whilst also adding to the match day experience then what's not to like? Even if it takes 2-3 seasons to pay off we'll have just that little bit extra funds to be more competitive on the pitch - isn't that what everyone wants ? By my estimate the profit should be around the £40,000 - £45,000 per year mark. In real terms that's paying wages for a youth player to be promoted into the 1st team on terms of £817 a week. Doesn't seem a lot but it all adds up to getting a player in on a £42,500 salary per year.
Yeah, post 'good news' on here and all you get is a Big Scream!! 🙀

Reactions: JannerinCardiff

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I completely understand why the club might want to put a big screen into the ground, primarily, I'd assume, as a way to make money from advertising but also perhaps to showcase some of the Argyle TV offer. It makes sense from that perspective and I'm supportive of the club trying to find ways to generate revenue to build the club infrastructure and playing squad.

What I don't understand is why so many fans are keen on the idea of having a big screen in the ground. I can't really see what the attraction is. Most people seem to be generally anti having advertising thrust in their faces (e.g. look at the constant grumbling about adverts on PASOTI) and I really can't see how having anything on the screen during play, other than the scoreline and time, could be anything other than distracting. That just leaves the time before games, at half time and after the game when showing Argyle TV footage might work but then do people REALLY want to go to Argyle and watch a big TV in a corner of the ground. You can always watch TV/screens at home or on your phone. Surely people want to take in the match atmosphere, talk to mates about the game etc.

Personally, I understand why having a big screen could be an attractive proposition for the club but I don't understand why it's attractive to fans. I don't feel any personal need to have a screen in the ground and think it's nice to get away from screens and immerse myself in the real match experience when I go to games. So I get why the club is doing this but I'm not in favour of it myself.