Ben Reeves on trial (signs - confirmed) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Ben Reeves on trial (signs - confirmed)

Mar 23, 2008
Crikey, we aren't mucking around are we? Coops yesterday and Reeves today is a real statement of intent, well done all.

Mar 14, 2009
Knibbsworth":24rgg4fl said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":24rgg4fl said:
Everyone seems pretty excited by him but l’ve not seen him play. Or can’t recall.

What type of midfielder is he??

Good dribbler, good close control, quick feet, good passer. Great player to watch, makes things happen.

If he is playing with Mayor and Reeves is at his best, the opposition won't know which one to double mark!

That’s the thing......this time last season how many players in the team could consistently beat their man. Danny Mayor. So what did teams do. They double marked him.

Now look at the team and our options.

Not ever player will unfortunately work out. Yet if the majority do then it’s exciting.

We have players technically much better and if your going to play a brand of possession based, passing football then you need players comfortable with the ball.

Oct 31, 2015
Another statement of intent in my eyes. Good player who maybe had a quiet season last season.

Welcome Pilgrim :scarf:

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Metal_Green_Mickey":2946mbl8 said:
Knibbsworth":2946mbl8 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2946mbl8 said:
Everyone seems pretty excited by him but l’ve not seen him play. Or can’t recall.

What type of midfielder is he??

Good dribbler, good close control, quick feet, good passer. Great player to watch, makes things happen.

If he is playing with Mayor and Reeves is at his best, the opposition won't know which one to double mark!

That’s the thing......this time last season how many players in the team could consistently beat their man. Danny Mayor. So what did teams do. They double marked him.

Now look at the team and our options.

Not ever player will unfortunately work out. Yet if the majority do then it’s exciting.

We have players technically much better and if your going to play a brand of possession based, passing football then you need players comfortable with the ball.

I’d say we now have 5 players that can go past an opponent - both our wing backs George Cooper and Byron Moore, Danny Mayor and Ben Reeves in midfield (maybe even Camara..) and also Ryan Hardie up front.

Jan 27, 2012
Never heard of Ben Reeves or remember seeing him play.

Based on his career so far, he sounds like a competant (but not outstanding) League One footballer.

However, Reeves will add further experience to the team as well as providing competition and cover for the existing players. I doubt he's expensive so probably a useful signing when you look at it that way.

It looks like Lowe has got his main squad together before the season kicks off- which is always a good sign.

Jul 19, 2018
London
argyle.life
Ben Reeves analysed - new signing at Plymouth Argyle

Ben Reeves is intelligent on and off the ball, precise with it at his feet, dangerous at dead-ball situations and can shoot from range.

Those whose memories stretch back far enough might also remember a night when Milton Keynes thrashed Manchester United 4-0, and Reeves was superb, recording a hattrick of assists.

However, if his injury problems persist then he is likely to be in and out of the team. Meanwhile he might be forced to play second fiddle to Panutche Camara if Lowe favours a more box-to-box style midfielder, like Sarcevic, as part of a territorial approach to League One in order to protect his defence from counter attacks.

Regardless of whether he's a player who transforms Argyle from mid-table nobodies to play-off contenders, at the very least he adds a new set of skills and abilities to midfield and should provide us with plenty of moments of excitement, even if he does end up being a bit of a Jose Baxter 2.0.

Oct 5, 2013
What a summer of signings. Never known the like of it. Each one astute and well thought out to complete the jigsaw of a RL team - at last a manager who really knows what he’s doing! He’s made new signings that are all fully on board with what’s going on now at Argyle. What a squad. Definitely going to be up there this season.

Mar 21, 2008
philevs":nr3w7vbu said:
What a summer of signings. Never known the like of it. Each one astute and well thought out to complete the jigsaw of a RL team - at last a manager who really knows what he’s doing! He’s made new signings that are all fully on board with what’s going on now at Argyle. What a squad. Definitely going to be up there this season.

I agree that Lowe has been incredibly astute in knowing what he needs and then bringing the right kind of player in, been really impressed this summer and I’m the most confident I’ve been for a while, whether we’ll be up there or not remains to be seen but I definitely feel we’ll be able to hold our own, and have some firepower going forward.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
I think RL has been very shrewd in how he played the Cooper fiasco,.... bringing in trialists in that position to force Peterborough's hand.

He has also benefited from making Plymouth an attractive place to ply your trade. I think the signings show we are no longer a last resort paycheck for a player. I know in the Nouble press conference someone else was already talking with him and he chose us. I imagine Cooper also had other suitors.

With Aimson coming back this season he is like a new signing so things are looking promising on paper.... hopefully that can translate onto the pitch.

Also hats off to the Chairman for supporting RL to make these purchases... probably the first time since Admin we have had money to spend and compete for people rather than mopping up the dregs.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
philevs":tmntjogo said:

I think it's early days to be "up there this season". Personally I'd be more than happy with a team being assembled good enough not to have us looking over our shoulders at the relegation spots for most of the season. And I'm cautiously optimistic in RL delivering on that.

Jan 27, 2012
There are two things that I am slightly disappointed about...

1. Alex Palmer did not return.
2. No permanent deal for Hardie (although great that he is here)

The squad looks decent although there are a few unknowns- M Cooper being one of them. I’m not sure about some of our defenders given their incompetence last time in League One, but let’s see what the new players are like- including Aimson.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Reading his profile, I could see Reeves being a useful left wing back if Cooper’s defensive qualities become a problem in League 1.