• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)

BBC Tonight

Pogleswoody

Kate Sponsor
Lowey Sponsor
Pun Master
50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Yes I know that Prince Philip is a sad loss but is it really necessary in 2021 for the BBC to play the same news coverage over and over again on both BBC Channels?
I've seen it several times. I know what a lovely chap he was, how he really cared for Diana and how he thought his 'slitty eyes' comment was 'private' (Which was fine obviously).
Ok I'm no Royalist (you may have guessed) but I do feel for the Queen tonight but many thousands have been lost in the last 12 months.
Maybe it was appropriate in 1952 but 2021? really?? :think:

Willis88

50/50 Sponsor
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
France vs England Women's football on BBC4 soon...

It does seem a bit lazy to not do anything different on BBC 2 I figure they'll say they didn't want to be shown to create an alternative and be accused of being insensitive.

Pogleswoody

Kate Sponsor
Lowey Sponsor
Pun Master
50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Well they seem to have 'reverted' now and some 'normal' programmes on BBC1

Never mind oldy, I've 'missed' Eastenders for about 30 years mate!! :lol:

Pogleswoody":1nt5el48 said:
Yes I know that Prince Philip is a sad loss but is it really necessary in 2021 for the BBC to play the same news coverage over and over again on both BBC Channels?
I've seen it several times. I know what a lovely chap he was, how he really cared for Diana and how he thought his 'slitty eyes' comment was 'private' (Which was fine obviously).
Ok I'm no Royalist (you may have guessed) but I do feel for the Queen tonight but many thousands have been lost in the last 12 months.

Have to agree with you Pogles. I’m a lifelong anti royalist because I don’t believe in unearned privilege. However in recent years I’ve mellowed, realising that they make a good contribution to Britain’s place on the world stage and earn us tourist income which far exceeds their cost. I also think Phillip has provided a life-long support for the monarch and displayed an outstanding sense of duty. However, during a four hour car journey there was not a radio channel covering anything else, with the BBC producing the same programme on every channel.

To me that was way over the top, Call me cynical, but I felt there was a huge amount of pre-prepared material which the Beeb was determined not to allow to go to waste.

Jul 12, 2016
Pogleswoody":xsv5oxv1 said:
Well they seem to have 'reverted' now and some 'normal' programmes on BBC1

Never mind oldy, I've 'missed' Eastenders for about 30 years mate!! :lol:
And me, deliberately :D

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 30, 2003
Well I’ve dipped in and out through the day and enjoyed watching some of the old videos and tributes to a great servant to the country.

Sep 25, 2010
Pogleswoody":wy2lrkun said:

Blimey, there are hundreds of other channels, and films to put on.

Nov 15, 2011
My gran died a few years ago and she was 104 and they didn’t change the telly schedule at all. And she was a really good person.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
kernow19":3p4iupex said:
So sorry to hear you can't do without your normal telly "fix" for half a day or so. Must be very difficult for you.
I don't think anybody is saying that. It's just the wall-to-wall coverage, backed up today by the usual suspects in the national press, as if every man, woman and child in the country is in deep mourning. It all feels very last century, if not the one before.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
Oct 31, 2010
Well done to the BBC, it was good to see old photos and videos of a remarkable servant to the Queen and country. In times like these the BBC do it best and it was a fitting tribute.
In a TV age of hundreds of channels there was also something else to watch for a few hours.

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
PL2 3DQ":1545mzpb said:
Well done to the BBC, it was good to see old photos and videos of a remarkable servant to the Queen and country. In times like these the BBC do it best and it was a fitting tribute.
In a TV age of hundreds of channels there was also something else to watch for a few hours.

:clap:

"From his service during World War II, to his 73 years alongside the Queen, and his entire life in the public eye - Prince Philip gladly dedicated himself to the people of the UK, the Commonwealth, and to his family"

Like him or loathe him it's churlish not to admire his selfless service to the Queen and the Commonwealth.

Deserving of all the commemoration that is given.

RIP

Pogleswoody

Kate Sponsor
Lowey Sponsor
Pun Master
50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
themightykeithfear":2wh0zkrf said:
My gran died a few years ago and she was 104 and they didn’t change the telly schedule at all. And she was a really good person.

:lol:

tbh that was sort of my point.

It's not missing the telly, it's the compulsory deference that I object to.

The % of clipped RP English on the BBChas gone up 2000% as well. (Back to 50's levels?)

'Yis, one knew Phillip, he came to our hice in the country '.

Jul 29, 2010
Pilgrim_Joe":2pw1xqtv said:
PL2 3DQ":2pw1xqtv said:

"From his service during World War II, to his 73 years alongside the Queen, and his entire life in the public eye - Prince Philip gladly dedicated himself to the people of the UK, the Commonwealth, and to his family"

Like him or loathe him it's churlish not to admire his selfless service to the Queen and the Commonwealth.

RIP

So deserving that Ryan Lowe stands with his hands in his pockets for the 2 minutes silence :thumbdown:

May 16, 2016
I was surprised how many people still watch the BBC in these days of on demand streaming services supposedly being the go to option for those most likely to not mourn the death of a Prince. Especially as I read it's no longer fit for service when arguing against the fee.

Apr 8, 2019
meetoo":39e0740v said:
Pilgrim_Joe":39e0740v said:
PL2 3DQ":39e0740v said:

RIP

So deserving that Ryan Lowe stands with his hands in his pockets for the 2 minutes silence :thumbdown:

Who made you the boss of how other people choose to show/not show respect?

Personally, I cannot stand the idea of a royal family - it completely goes against everything I believe in regarding meritocracy and personal achievement.

However, I'm also steadfast in believing that both the DoE and the Queen have given their entire lives to serving the country out of a sense of duty - and that deserves respect, as does the fact that the man was a frigging war hero. Check out the details of his wartime service, it's fascinating.

That said, the BBC seem to have completely overegged the pudding when it comes to this, most likely out of fear of an overblown hysteric reaction from the metoos of the world. The DoE was a hugely significant figure in the last 70 years of the country, which merits a lot of coverage - but the total takeover of a people-funded broadcaster was a bit much.