Away to Chelsea - Sat 5 Feb 12.30pm | Page 40 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Away to Chelsea - Sat 5 Feb 12.30pm

May 16, 2016
Cobie

Cobie, you are probably are doing it wrong. LC goes up and down to Palace many times. He's also given may tips how to do it cheap.

From what I've seen he uses cheep single tickets that go past his desitination and then uses tickets that start before he gets on and uses them to get home.

There is always something to be learnt and one of the things that our supporters should learn is how to game the railway ticket system.
Therein lies the problem with rip off Britain ! I rarely use the Trains or know all the dodges but conversely I'm well versed in Ryanairs randomness, I've previously got from my house to Plymouth and onwards to Malaga for less than a tenner. Looking at alternatives as suggested by UTL earlier, it is possible to get cheaper travel from Exeter to Waterloo if you don't mind an early start and later return - probably recommended for those of us out of touch with travelling aroundLondon - parking in Exeter is reasonable if booked in advance too.

Dec 1, 2019
If two of you regularly catch a train together, then itā€™s worth getting a two together railcard which gives you a third off. Sometimes itā€™s worth getting this even if youā€™re doing one trip. Itā€™s usually Ā£30 to get the railcard but they do special promotions sometimes. Always look to buy a split ticket, so long as the train stops at the station you donā€™t have to get off. Train line work out the cheapest split fares for you. As an example I regularly travel Bristol to Plymouth & its cheaper to buy Bristol to Tiverton & then Tiverton to Plymouth returns. Unpopular stations attract cheaper fares .

Feb 23, 2008
Once in at London Paddington what tube station would be the best to get off at please, a website I looked at said Fulham Broadway?

May 16, 2016
If two of you regularly catch a train together, then itā€™s worth getting a two together railcard which gives you a third off. Sometimes itā€™s worth getting this even if youā€™re doing one trip. Itā€™s usually Ā£30 to get the railcard but they do special promotions sometimes. Always look to buy a split ticket, so long as the train stops at the station you donā€™t have to get off. Train line work out the cheapest split fares for you. As an example I regularly travel Bristol to Plymouth & its cheaper to buy Bristol to Tiverton & then Tiverton to Plymouth returns. Unpopular stations attract cheaper fares .
Complicated innit. Tiverton won't be unpopular for a while if the Plymouth passengers are being bussed there. Makes getting on at Exeter a better option.

up the line

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Once in at London Paddington what tube station would be the best to get off at please, a website I looked at said Fulham Broadway?
That's certainly the closest.
Or you could go to Earl's Court (also couple of stops on the district line: which is green if you like omens. Think it might be one more stop than Fulham Broadway) if you're looking to get a pint as everything immediately around the ground will be home fans only.
Earl's Court to Stamford Bridge probably 20 min walk through Brompton cemetery

Last edited:
Reactions: chunkymonkey78
Aug 5, 2016
R1: Sheffield Wednesday (A), 600 mile round trip, 12:15 KO.
R2: Rochdale (A), 600 mile round trip, 12:15 KO.
R3: Birmingham (A), 17:30 KO making it impossible to get the last train back to Plymouth.
R4 Chelsea (A), 430 mile round trip, 12:30 KO.

Zero consideration for fans.
Only for the fans in attendance.
In an era of on demand streams and PPV coverage, we forget how rare it is for an Argyle match to be broadcast on television. All of those ties were televised.

Feb 23, 2008
That's certainly the closest.
Or you could go to Earl's Court (also couple of stops on the district line: which is green if you like omens. Think it might be one more stop than Fulham Broadway) if you're looking to get a pint as everything immediately around the ground will be home fans only.
Earl's Court to Stamford Bridge probably 20 min walk through Brompton cemetery
Thanks, I'd be travelling with two barely teenage sons so maybe a pint isn't a great idea, but maybe some lunch wouldn't go amiss!

Would Earl's Court be the best place to go for this and would it be most likely where the Argyle fans would congregate?

up the line

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Thanks, I'd be travelling with two barely teenage sons so maybe a pint isn't a great idea, but maybe some lunch wouldn't go amiss!

Would Earl's Court be the best place to go for this and would it be most likely where the Argyle fans would congregate?

There's loads of places to eat around Earls Court yeah. If you come out of the station onto earl's court road there's many restaurants. I suspect the pubs along that road will be fairly green.

Having said that, giving the ludicrous k.o time there'll be not much chance for a bevvy anyway.

The Courtfield (opposite the station) opens at 10 am.

Last edited:
Reactions: chunkymonkey78