Assault, Mayflower gate | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Assault, Mayflower gate

Jul 15, 2011
The discussion on standing seems to support the safe standing proposals. Those that want to can go to that part of the ground and stand all match, while those who don't want, or cannot, can be in a seated area, hopefully where people would be respectful of the seating requirement.....
seems like a win win...

Jul 27, 2021
I sit in the front of the Demport End as there are not enough wheelchair accessible places in the refurbished Grandstand. I also recall the 70’s and I am no prude, but I do not wish to hear some grown-up men attending some of the big matches which sell out constantly using foul language in the front of the Demport while sitting next to their 8- to 10-year-old sons or daughters, so I do not attend so many games now. Also, due to people rushing forward and standing up without any respect for wheelchair users. Thankfully, during the Rotherham game last year I was able to sit next to my friend in a wheelchair accessible space in the Grandstand which was so much better. However, not quite hearing some of the chanting at first from some people in the Demport and Lyndhurst during this game to the opposing fans it then got louder and louder from many quarters with the chanting being totally abhorrent. How, Argyle did not get sanctioned for this was very lucky. The chanting could have been akin to racism or any other kind of verbal abuse so I hope some lessons are learnt all round from all clubs and fans should similar occurrences occur in the future.
Ooo , swearing at a football match , how uncouth 🤷

Aug 4, 2022
hope the person that got hit was OK.
unfortunately, that many people on one place in that heat in a setting that's obviously a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, peoples inner idiot sometimes appears.
no place for it really, I understand these things go on, I suppose the difference between it happening now and in the 80s is that the club/old bill will probably deal with it now where as 30-40 years back things like that would just be ignored largely.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Not really transferable Steve.

This is only a website, in real life people don't act as badly as those who like to argue on a keyboard.

Reactions: Ponty

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
Solution is make everyone wear a seat belt, so nobody stands up 😉

On a serious note, I do think it's a people problem rather than a practical one. Even when everyone was standing back in the day, if you were unlucky you were stood behind a giant, what could you do, assault them because they grew a few inches taller than you and how dare they?! :rolleyes:

With the seating most people get it right and far more people get good sight of the pitch. There just are some selfish individuals in life, who have no self awareness at all and believe it's all about them, especially after a pint. A hard one to manage by the stewards I feel, without appearing heavy handed and might just make things worse.

The only thing to add is, if as witnesses are saying, there were no stewards around, maybe that's something to look at. There should be stewards/security in place at the exit routes I would think, to help defuse anything like that. Pretty rare though, our own fans fighting. So probably a hammer to crack a nut.

Last edited:
Reactions: memory man

Granby Green

♣️ Senior Greens
Mar 16, 2018
And you Mr Pedlar have a long history of being judge and jury call yourself an administrator get real. It’s a football match people stand get over it.
"Its a football match!!". How many times have I heard that said over the years when witnessing all kinds of anti social behavior. It seems to be the goto response to justify unpopular actions (swearing, rudeness, aggression etc. Some people seem to regard " its a football match" as a get out of jail free card.c

Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
hope the person that got hit was OK.
unfortunately, that many people on one place in that heat in a setting that's obviously a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, peoples inner idiot sometimes appears.
no place for it really, I understand these things go on, I suppose the difference between it happening now and in the 80s is that the club/old bill will probably deal with it now where as 30-40 years back things like that would just be ignored largely.
The advent of handheld cctv by police stopped a lot of violence. Also clubs started installing it in 80s...cctv I mean.

Reactions: Taribo'sCousin
Aug 4, 2022
The advent of handheld cctv by police stopped a lot of violence. Also clubs started installing it in 80s...cctv I mean.
as much as I don't like being on camera 24/7, I am glad there is a degree of it these days. it does deter people who are able to think twice before acting I would say.

Reactions: Andy B.
Aug 1, 2022
But they are all in a standing area and are aware of the potential to have someone taller in front of them when they book there. When booking a seat, in a seated area, you expect everyone to be seated no?
I think you’ve misunderstood. When someone stands in the Lyndhurst or Mayflower for a penalty to be taken others who are behind can’t see even if they stand. In the old days they could move to a different spot - impossible now.

I’m all for safe standing as then everyone is happy but until that time take a moment to consider whose view you are blocking.