Argyle v Swindon Match Thread | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Argyle v Swindon Match Thread

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
You're right of course GG but it's the same for me. I really thought I couldn't care less, "stupid comp" "mickey mouse": etc etc. Then I see the result and get a cob on by being beaten by a basement team.

Stupid, but there you go.
To be fair Swindon are in the automatic promotion places and won their first match against Arsenal u23’s. They are clearly a decent outfit.

I think had Mayor played the full match we would have got a minimum of a draw (and maybe picked up 2 pts from winning the pen shootout).

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i was at the match and disagree with many regarding some of our youngsters.ryan law and adam randell were superb.other players including mayor and particularly joe edwards played very well.swindon deserved to win and congratulations to them with exploiting the situation.

Reactions: philevs
Oct 20, 2015
I don't think Balham Green could have seen the match if he's arguing Camara should start Saturday. Mayor was the stand out player of the match.

The one unknown in all of this is what Mayor's fitness level is. Someone said he limped off at half time.

I agree with previous poster - start Mayor and play him for as long as he feels able, then bring Camara on (who is definitely tired) when necessary.

I don't disagree Camara has been instrumental to our current league position. But he's flat out every game! Give the boy a break.

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
I thought the shift in the game was the point at which Swindon brought on their three substitutes all at once. Only one was for an injured replacement (their number 2 had needed treatment and was replaced by their number 3). The other two added pace and direction to their attack and ultimately made the difference. Clearly, Swindon do want to progress in this competition while to us, we're a bit not bothered by the whole thing. Someone earlier said we looked like a team running at 60%. I agree with an additional caveat of they looked like they had been told not to risk getting injured.

Reactions: philevs

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
I am not one for happily dismissing this competition and the other Premiership Cup competition. We are now out of both competitions and the opportunity for giving meaningful game to fringe and Academy players is lost. I think we just have the Arsenal game left and that's it for the rest of the season.

I thought Swindon played very well, matching our system, but playing it with verve, pace and application that deservedly brought them a well earned victory. I was surprised to learn that they made seven changes from their Forest Green win and the stand-out players from last night Baudry (No.5) and Mitchell- Lawson (No.17) are not first team regulars. They had some Academy players in the team and squad too. If I were a scout I would be looking at some of their players closely.

There is no substitute for high level game time whether you are a squad player or a Academy product learning your trade. We had a relatively strong team to support the younger players but in truth once Mayor departed, as Ryan Lowe indicated, the youngsters were disappointing. It may be a one off but we were outpaced and outclassed in the second half by players not first team regulars for Swindon.

Ryan Lowe has commendably promoted Academy players to give them a chance for them to grab it. It would seem that now the best chance for them now is to go on loan down the pyramid to secure game time. That's a pity, but it's the price for not performing in more minor Cup competitions.

Aug 24, 2009
Mayor played better in the 45 minutes last night than I saw him play in most games last season. I cannot think of any good reason why he shouldn't start at the weekend. Camara as been fantastic this season although he is not doing the simple things, he attempts to force the pass. On numerous occasions last night he played the ball to a player who was being man marked and we lost possession. He needs a rest his passing at the moment is to complicated and those around him are finding it difficult to anticipate his pass.

Reactions: slingsbypobble
Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
It seems to me that one really good thing to come out of this is that all who watched it were reminded of just how good Danny Mayor is, maybe we were starting to forget that while we have been doing so well in the league! I just hope that he hasn't injured himself again.

Jan 6, 2004
I am all for Mayor back in the team provided he is told not to constantly beat a man, cut in and shoot wide or over from the edge of the box, countless attacks were wasted last season by him doing that. He looked great last night to be fair, including what I suspect will be the best through pass of the season which should have resulted in a goal.

Reactions: Mark58
Oct 5, 2013
Mayor played better in the 45 minutes last night than I saw him play in most games last season. I cannot think of any good reason why he shouldn't start at the weekend. Camara as been fantastic this season although he is not doing the simple things, he attempts to force the pass. On numerous occasions last night he played the ball to a player who was being man marked and we lost possession. He needs a rest his passing at the moment is to complicated and those around him are finding it difficult to anticipate his pass.
Looks to me like last night was used in part as a trial match between Camara and Mayor for a starting place on Saturday, and that it will be Mayor who starts (if fit).

Oct 5, 2013
I am all for Mayor back in the team provided he is told not to constantly beat a man, cut in and shoot wide or over from the edge of the box, countless attacks were wasted last season by him doing that. He looked great last night to be fair, including what I suspect will be the best through pass of the season which should have resulted in a goal.
Maybe he’s changed this season, or been told to, in light of our new players and success.

Reactions: max
Apr 1, 2009
8 pages on a defeat in a meaningless cup competition

8 pages on a win that took us top of the league

That's PASOTI

Just think what it will be like when we lose a league game.
It's not just Pasoti though, it happens in life as a whole. Most people will complain from time to time about faulty products and poor service. I don't think many could honestly say that they go out of their way to praise good service as often as they complain. We tend to take the good for granted.

A lot of football fans are moaners - you hear it everywhere in the stands. It's a way of letting off steam and getting rid of life's frustrations. It may not be right, but it has always been the case.

There's also a much narrower potential for comment on a good win. You can say the team was great, X and Y were fantastic and the manager is a genius. Once 20 or 30 have said that, the thread becomes very repetitive. If you try to be constructively critical when the team has won, many object to that too. After a bad performance there is the potential to critically analyse, and many take that opportunity, often over zealously.

It'll always be the case that a poor performance draws more comment than a good one. Why worry about it?

Reactions: Mark58