Argyle v Swindon Match Thread | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Argyle v Swindon Match Thread

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Mayor had an excellent first half. 3 good efforts well saved and a superb through ball for Agard which he should have scored from. He certainly looked fit while he was on. I hope he will be available for the squad on Saturday.
The youngsters could not seem to get involved.
Disappointed with Randell and Tomlinson and not too confident with Burton. He probably needs more games. I thought Cooper would have saved their first 2 goals. I thought he got his angles wrong for both and the first should not have reached Gillesphey.
I do think that Will Jenkins-Davies (still only 16) has potential and was the pick of the younger players.
Camara was also disappointing; worked hard but kept losing control.

Reactions: briangreen
Jul 17, 2011
I went and I don’t know why. Apart from the last ten mins of the first half where we played really well, it was one of the worst games of football I have ever seen. Only players to come out with any credit are gillhesphy and mayor. Everyone else might as well of had “ we don’t care about this competition “ slapped on their forehead.
I’m not questioning their commitment, but my god, what is the point of this trophy?

Jul 27, 2021
Watching the Lowe interview after the game and he just confirms what the majority on this forum stated, the youngsters failed , full stop . Hope they realise that these games are THEIR opportunity to shine.

Jul 27, 2021
Watching the Lowe interview after the game and he just confirms what the majority on this forum stated, the youngsters failed , full stop . Hope they realise that these games are THEIR opportunity to shine.
And we are all crying out for them to do it!!

Aug 8, 2014
We lose all of these games but the point is it is a chance for the youngsters to show us what they are about. Sadly to a man they were awful. Tomlinson, Law and Shirley looked ready made for Truro, really disappointing.
Awful!!!!!
What a crazy statement.... Kids learning their trade when the truth is they have hardly any games to impress in, luckily RL will assess on training etc rather than these matches

Sep 6, 2006
I went and I don’t know why. Apart from the last ten mins of the first half where we played really well, it was one of the worst games of football I have ever seen. Only players to come out with any credit are gillhesphy and mayor. Everyone else might as well of had “ we don’t care about this competition “ slapped on their forehead.
I’m not questioning their commitment, but my god, what is the point of this trophy?
'We don't care about this competition'. Not questioning their commitment though. Hilarious.

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
Take the positives. Mayor got 45 mins match fitness, fringe players like Randell and Law got 90 mins in their legs so are in better shape if needs off the bench in future games. Agard scored. We played with a 16 year old in midfield !) who is 5 years younger than Jephers who is still developing his game. That’s a statement. In the absence of reserve team football, all these players need these games for fitness and sharpness. I think of it like a reserve game , don’t worry about the score. If we can get our squad fit I think Law, Randell and Tomlinson could all benefit from a second half of the season on loan at League 2 level (Randell)l and Law) and National League (Tomlinson) .

Jul 17, 2011
'We don't care about this competition'. Not questioning their commitment though. Hilarious.
I’m not, but when you’re playing in a competition that means nothing, that the crowds don’t care about, surely most of the players will see it as a training session rather than anything else?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
8 pages on a defeat in a meaningless cup competition

8 pages on a win that took us top of the league

That's PASOTI

Just think what it will be like when we lose a league game.

May 8, 2011
I’m not, but when you’re playing in a competition that means nothing, that the crowds don’t care about, surely most of the players will see it as a training session rather than anything else?
Is that how most of the Swindon and Newport players see it?

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Is that how most of the Swindon and Newport players see it?
Perhaps not to the same extent that we do.

As a club, we (quite rightly) treat this competition with the very little respect, as shown by us being well on the way to 6 group stage exits in 6 years since its revamp.

I wouldn't use last night as a barometer for the young players' future at all. Whether they're directly told to play at 60% or whatever, we always perform very badly in this competition (again, quite rightly). Use the league and proper cup games as the barometer.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Listening to RLs post match he sounded extremely disappointed with the youngsters bar Will

No doubt we all want our youngsters to flourish & push on but with limited competitive games they only get 1 or 2 chances to impress which is probably why RL is frustrated as he wants all the squad including the youngsters to push themselves & each other so that he can consider them for 1st team selection

Maybe come January our youngsters will go out on loan to clubs deemed suitable to get the invaluable first team experience that they will not be getting on the training pitch

Yes this competition is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things but to the youngsters who play in it - it is all about continuing their football education & striving to be the best they can be so that they are in the managers thoughts

The positives from last night - Danny lasting 45 minutes- game time slowly building up & Kierans 1st goal

The league is our priority & we have bigger fish to fry

Reactions: philevs
Jan 27, 2012
Argyle need to have reserve team fixtures. There needs to be a place for fringe players and those returning from injury to get match practice against other professional teams.

Reactions: elburtontrev
May 16, 2016
Always bemuses me how this is supposed to be a non competition we're supposed to boycott. Nobody cares etc etc........until we lose, then it gets the forensics all over it.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
You're right of course GG but it's the same for me. I really thought I couldn't care less, "stupid comp" "mickey mouse": etc etc. Then I see the result and get a cob on by being beaten by a basement team.

Stupid, but there you go.

Reactions: RKB