Staff member
šŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æ
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 15, 2003
I think I am correct in saying a club can play whom they like in a 'friendly'. A contract signature is required for Football League matches and FA Cup games. Correct me should I be wrong.
You're probably correct QG but what I'm saying is that why would Lowe play him, if he wasn't going to sign? It would be a waste of precious game time surely?

Dec 30, 2010
It was wonderful to be back at Home Park yesterday and to see grown ups in our defence. It's the only time I have had to put on factor 50 sun cream to go to an evening match. The only downside was the queue for the security check and the airport frisking wand. 'What are you looking for' I enquired. 'Flares'. I stopped wearing them in the 70s. No-one laughed. A pensioner was asked if his wallet could be searched. He said no and amazingly was allowed in to watch a football match. He may have been carrying a fake bus pass, you can't be too sure. Seriously the club must stop treating supporters including pensioners as potential terrorists. This has to stop.

Mar 14, 2009
No problem with most of your observations, Mickey.
Itā€™s just that you seem to need to put a ā€˜sting in the tailā€™ to find a reason to criticise the managerā€™s ā€˜tenureā€™.
Every team makes mistakes; if a Swansea defender hadnā€™t missed the ball in the 6 yard box, we wouldnā€™t have scored. Is that their managerā€™s fault?

The thing l get battered for on here why you finding a ā€˜reason to criticise the managersā€™ tenure.

If you notice, and this is what people fail to pick up, l highlight repetitive mistakes. Iā€™m not picking out mistake after mistake that is unique. Iā€™m picking out an issue lā€™ve seen three or four times before that is concerning the same player or a team tactic. For example, the team tactic last season l highlighted that does my head in is the Argyle kick off. We kick off and often punted it out of play down our left hand side. What an aimless tactic.

Last season in January l had pelters when we were winning in January. I kept highlighting how teams were creating similar opportunities. I get the line often ā€œWhy are you criticising the team, we are winning. All teams create chancesā€. And yet it wasnā€™t the opportunities that were created. It was the type of opportunities and their ease. For example, a long ball over Watts and the opposition was in. One month later we started our second bad run with constantly watching Watts be exposed with the long ball over the top of him.

The reason why l criticise the manager is because there is a valid reason. You canā€™t say last season l didnā€™t have a valid reason.

For me, he has to prove himself. Currently l feel he is a sound bite manager. I want to see how he progresses with the team.

If you notice Davie, l give many examples of matches, before l criticise Lowe about certain aspects of his tactics. People just donā€™t like Argyle being criticised. You always going to get certain peopleā€™s backs up because of that. Yet when it goes pear-shaped like it did last season in April lm not the one posting angry posts because of whatā€™s going on.

l support the team with passion. Yet when l write on here l do it with my head, not my heart. People unfortunately donā€™t get that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tugboat

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
The thing l get battered for on here why you finding a ā€˜reason to criticise the managersā€™ tenure.

If you notice, and this is what people fail to pick up, l highlight repetitive mistakes. Iā€™m not picking out mistake after mistake that is unique. Iā€™m picking out an issue lā€™ve seen three or four times before that is concerning the same player or a team tactic. For example, the team tactic last season l highlighted that does my head in is the Argyle kick off. We kick off and often punted it out of play down our left hand side. What an aimless tactic.

Last season in January l had pelters when we were winning in January. I kept highlighting how teams were creating similar opportunities. I get the line often ā€œWhy are you criticising the team, we are winning. All teams create chancesā€. And yet it wasnā€™t the opportunities that were created. It was the type of opportunities and their ease. For example, a long ball over Watts and the opposition was in. One month later we started our second bad run with constantly watching Watts be exposed with the long ball over the top of him.

The reason why l criticise the manager is because there is a valid reason. You canā€™t say last season l didnā€™t have a valid reason.

For me, he has to prove himself. Currently l feel he is a sound bite manager. I want to see how he progresses with the team.

If you notice Davie, l give many examples of matches, before l criticise Lowe about certain aspects of his tactics. People just donā€™t like Argyle being criticised. You always going to get certain peopleā€™s backs up because of that. Yet when it goes pear-shaped like it did last season in April lm not the one posting angry posts because of whatā€™s going on.

l support the team with passion. Yet when l write on here l do it with my head, not my heart. People unfortunately donā€™t get that.
I do ā€˜get itā€™. Itā€™s just that I donā€™t see the point of, continually, referring to what happened last season when that is now history and Watts, for example, is no longer with us.
Mayor will sometimes lose possession in trying to take opponents out of the game with one body movement. It happened last season and it will happen again this season but we also need to consider the number of times that that manoeuvre works in our favour.

JannerinCardiff

šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æ
ā™£ļø SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Reactions: TQ2
Apr 1, 2009
To criticise or not criticise?

I do have some sympathy for those saying there shouldn't be criticism of the players in a PSF against a higher ranked team. PSF's genuinely don't matter, so does perceived poor performance need to be highlighted? I think there's also a feeling amongst many that manager and players deserve to re-start with a "clean record".

On the other extreme, to allow only positive comments is unrealistic. Do those who haven't seen the game get a true prospective if only praise is permitted? If I haven't seen a game I want to hear the genuine opinions of those who were there, not undiluted praise or indeed predictable pre-determined criticism. As ever I guess it's a question of balance.

Reactions: Mark Pedlar
Mar 14, 2009
I do ā€˜get itā€™. Itā€™s just that I donā€™t see the point of, continually, referring to what happened last season when that is now history and Watts, for example, is no longer with us.
Mayor will sometimes lose possession in trying to take opponents out of the game with one body movement. It happened last season and it will happen again this season but we also need to consider the number of times that that manoeuvre works in our favour.

That same argument was said to me last season. And the season Adams got sacked.

You say you ā€˜get itā€™, but then say lm referring to last season without understanding why l refer to last season.

So the only negative thing l said about last nights game was about Swanseaā€™s first goal. So then I get why are you mentioning itā€™s as itā€™s just a PSF. So then, I refer to the fact we often got caught in that area in possession of the ball last season to explain myself and that someone on our coaching team is obviously telling them to do this in that area of the pitch.

So l justify myself twice. Explain that itā€™s not a new player thing, but a team tactic thatā€™s been an issue before on numerous occasion. I canā€™t win.

Its amazing really. I remember January last season. Same people having a go at me. Come March and April not a damn word. My opinion never changed.

Its a opinion. An observation. Thatā€™s all. Its better than when it all goes pear shaped then thinking how did this happen? Btw, lm not saying it will go pear-shaped. And again even though l highlighted good things that gets overlooked. Shame really. Especially what l post has been proved to be constructive criticism.

If we go back to October last season, l was raving about Camara. One of the first people on here to say what a player he is. Always saying positive things about his performance.

It just seems to me people have a perception about me and l just have to deal with it even though l think lm quite balanced poster.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Last night for the first 20 minutes I thought we were definitely promotion and championship material, but when Swansea started getting back into it and scored two goals I had us down as relegation certs and wanted Lowe out.

Second half I thought we were in for a hammering but scored early so said maybe mid to lower table L1 at best. As we grew more into it and had the share of the game, I thought maybe top half with sniff at play offs and agreed Lowe could do a job for us.

There was a point late in the game where we should have had a throw but Swansea got it and I wondered what Chris Billy would have done.

Reactions: Deleted member 9145
Jan 2, 2006
Don't know who made it official Ian, but I asked him about 18 months - 2 years ago and he said it's Ran -dell.
Stonebridge (summariser on the commentary) who has coached him since he was ten had picked up on Robs pronunciation in previous games. Worried that he had been getting his name wrong all these years, Stonebridge asked Randell how it should be pronounced and he confirmed itā€™s Randull ie rhymes with handle

L G

ā™£ļø PACSA Member
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
It was wonderful to be back at Home Park yesterday and to see grown ups in our defence. It's the only time I have had to put on factor 50 sun cream to go to an evening match. The only downside was the queue for the security check and the airport frisking wand. 'What are you looking for' I enquired. 'Flares'. I stopped wearing them in the 70s. No-one laughed. A pensioner was asked if his wallet could be searched. He said no and amazingly was allowed in to watch a football match. He may have been carrying a fake bus pass, you can't be too sure. Seriously the club must stop treating supporters including pensioners as potential terrorists. This has to stop.
What about the odd Rogue pensioner? Or a pensioner who takes payment from his grandchildren to smuggle in a flare?

Voice of Reason

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 30, 2004
MGM - by the very nature of players like Mayor, they are asked to take risks, even in their own half. Take someone like Grealish, the AV management will allow him to try and dribble or turn a player in his own half if he feels its likely to open up the game and allow him a chance to feed Watkins to run off the shoulder of the last man.
If we pick Mayor to pass it backwards, sideways or hoof it aimlessly, we might as well ask Yann Songo'o back.
Mayor is encouraged to take risks, try to create space for others like any sport, those who take the biggest risks are those who will make the most mistakes - its totally the nature of the beast.

Mar 14, 2009
MGM - by the very nature of players like Mayor, they are asked to take risks, even in their own half. Take someone like Grealish, the AV management will allow him to try and dribble or turn a player in his own half if he feels its likely to open up the game and allow him a chance to feed Watkins to run off the shoulder of the last man.
If we pick Mayor to pass it backwards, sideways or hoof it aimlessly, we might as well ask Yann Songo'o back.
Mayor is encouraged to take risks, try to create space for others like any sport, those who take the biggest risks are those who will make the most mistakes - its totally the nature of the beast.
The problem is that the risk has to be balanced.

Its not only Mayor. Itā€™s other players that do this. If it was a tactic that works in our favour ld say thatā€™s a positive but more times than not we end up losing it, allowing for an easy opportunity for the opponents to score and the defence get pelters for it when itā€™s not their fault. Even if Mayor breaks that press he then faces more opposition to beat. I rather him do it in that final third where it really hurts a team.

You talk about Mayor encouraged to take risks. Our team last season was ā€˜encouragedā€™ to play out from the back in the fashion they did. Which was a risk.

Ipswich away last season. Lewis plays a terrible back pass and Ipswich score. Lowe comes out in the press conference after the game and says ā€œl donā€™t know why they keep passing the ball backwards and sidewaysā€. Yet all season we kept playing the ball backwards and sideways. It was a thing many people pointed out on here. So someone is telling these players what to do. When we witnessed it all season Lowe washed his hands of any blame. In fact after this game about a month later in the Shrewsbury game Conor Grant played a terrible back pass to Cooper. So even after the Ipswich game they were still doing this.

If thatā€™s the way you ask your team to play at least own it. Instead of passing the buck.

Just to be crystal clear lm not saying Lowe is a good or bad manager. There are some things l like and other things l donā€™t. My feeling though so far is we have heard far too many sound bites about how we should play instead of actually seeing it.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2008
The problem is that the risk has to be balanced.

Its not only Mayor. Itā€™s other players that do this. If it was a tactic that works in our favour ld say thatā€™s a positive but more times than not we end up losing it, allowing for an easy opportunity for the opponents to score and the defence get pelters for it when itā€™s not their fault. Even if Mayor breaks that press he then faces more opposition to beat. I rather him do it in that final third where it really hurts a team.

You talk about Mayor encouraged to take risks. Our team last season was ā€˜encouragedā€™ to play out from the back in the fashion they did. Which was a risk.

Ipswich away last season. Lewis plays a terrible back pass and Ipswich score. Lowe comes out in the press conference after the game and says ā€œl donā€™t know why they keep passing the ball backwards and sidewaysā€. Yet all season we kept playing the ball backwards and sideways. It was a thing many people pointed out on here. So someone is telling these players what to do. When we witnessed it all season Lowe washed his hands of any blame. In fact after this game about a month later in the Shrewsbury game Conor Grant played a terrible back pass to Cooper. So even after the Ipswich game they were still doing this.

If thatā€™s the way you ask your team to play at least own it. Instead of passing the buck.

Just to be crystal clear lm not saying Lowe is a good or bad manager. There are some things l like and other things l donā€™t. My feeling though so far is we have heard far too many sound bites about how we should play instead of actually seeing it.
Exactly and thatā€™s one of the reasons Iā€™m not a fan of the man.

He will say whatever he expects you want to hear. He probably did the same when he got the job.

Nov 18, 2011
It looks like the match last night will be Steve Cooper's last one in charge of Swansea:

I recall that there's been a number of times when a defeat to Argyle has led to a manager being sacked, however is this the first time it's happened in pre season?