Argyle v Peterborough - Carabao Cup Round 1 | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Peterborough - Carabao Cup Round 1

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Poor performance.

Rubbish first half. Passes went astray all over the pitch. The only two players I felt came out of that half with any real praise were Lonwijk and Butcher. Whittaker had moments but no end product.

Second half was a bit better, which coincided with the likes of Azaz, Randell and Gillesphey coming on. There were still sloppy passes, one that sticks in the memory is Mayor almost giving a goal away passing it across his own box towards the end.

So many shots on goal yet they all flew over the bar. I’m not sure why we are so insistent on working it out well to the wing backs, only to cross it in to 3 forward all 6ft or under! Ennis was hopeless and never looked like getting on the end of anything.

A frustrating evening and hopefully a much better performance on Saturday.

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
We learnt from today two massive things.

1) Our best centre back has been on the bench

2) We need to have a different style of striker to cover for Hardie if we use that formation. Jephcott particularly is a poacher. In that formation all Jephcott does is lose the ball or fall over when an opposition player gets near him.

Dec 30, 2020
I don’t think we missed many great chances. It was mainly Azaz creating a bit of an opening from distance but they would have been borderline worldies if they’d gone in. Best chance other than the goal was the point blank save from Cooper.

Endacott was absolutely terrific based on what might realistically be expected of a 17 year old kid but a long way off what we need to challenge at the top of League 1 (which of course is understandable at his stage of his career)

Ennis & Jephcott were horrible. We relied on both for spells last season where they won us a lot of points so that kind of performance is a bit of a worry.

Great to see Galloway back. He was rubbing his knee just before going off. Hope nothing problematic there.

Whittaker… it wasn’t for lack of effort but he hasn’t looked like much of an upgrade so far and that’s putting it mildly.

All in all a disappointing night really, as a demonstration of squad depth and competition for places

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
How many times have we heard this? Goals win matches not near misses.

Well if you haven’t got the money to find consistent goal scorers at this level
“ We need more time to develop the squad at this level” Short memory. We amassed 80 points last season and even allowing for overachievement we gave a good account of ourselves. Seems like you have already written us off for Saturday.

Id love for a 1.4 million forward to be sitting on our bench tonight.

Haven’t wrote the team off. Just being realistic what we are facing.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Poor performance.

Rubbish first half. Passes went astray all over the pitch. The only two players I felt came out of that half with any real praise were Lonwijk and Butcher. Whittaker had moments but no end product.

Second half was a bit better, which coincided with the likes of Azaz, Randell and Gillesphey coming on. There were still sloppy passes, one that sticks in the memory is Mayor almost giving a goal away passing it across his own box towards the end.

So many shots on goal yet they all flew over the bar. I’m not sure why we are so insistent on working it out well to the wing backs, only to cross it in to 3 forward all 6ft or under! Ennis was hopeless and never looked like getting on the end of anything.

A frustrating evening and hopefully a much better performance on Saturday.

Given that Peterborough have a 6ft 9imch keeper would it not make more sense if we hit shots low into the corners ???

Reactions: Jannerz

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
We learnt from today two massive things.

1) Our best centre back has been on the bench

2) We need to have a different style of striker to cover for Hardie if we use that formation. Jephcott particularly is a poacher. In that formation all Jephcott does is lose the ball or fall over when an opposition player gets near him.
Jephcott is most effective when part of na forward pairing where his partner runs beyond him just like Hardie can.

Reactions: Burdy
Sep 12, 2015
What's your point regarding Central Park? They have 2 pitches on Harpers, they need at least 3 times as many
So parkway has enough ground for 5 pitches then !! my point being we need a goal scorer not more training ground don’t think them up the road will have them facility’s and are banging them in for a past time ,

What we’ve learned tonight:
The new centre back from Wolves looks like a Rolls Royce with pace. The starting centre back 3 should be our first choice ( once Galloway is properly fit).
Randell looked much more effect than Butcher. The defensive midfield two should be Randell and Houghton.
Jephcott didn’t work as an attacking midfielder. He did some good things but never really looked like creating anything. I feel sorry for him because hes being made to look bad because hes playing a role that don’t suit.
Ennis needs time. I’m sure there’s a player in there but today his touch was poor.
whittaker is Garrick- fast and direct but not much guile.
at the end of the day it was a league cup first round game - who cares?! Saturday on the other hand ….

Reactions: JannerinCardiff
Aug 22, 2020
What we’ve learned tonight:
The new centre back from Wolves looks like a Rolls Royce with pace. The starting centre back 3 should be our first choice ( once Galloway is properly fit).
Randell looked much more effect than Butcher. The defensive midfield two should be Randell and Houghton.
Jephcott didn’t work as an attacking midfielder. He did some good things but never really looked like creating anything. I feel sorry for him because hes being made to look bad because hes playing a role that don’t suit.
Ennis needs time. I’m sure there’s a player in there but today his touch was poor.
whittaker is Garrick- fast and direct but not much guile.
at the end of the day it was a league cup first round game - who cares?! Saturday on the other hand ….
If we don’t get it right on Saturday we will be ripped apart. Simple as that.

May 16, 2015
I don’t think anybody will be too worried that we lost tonight. However, the biggest worry based on some of the performances tonight is the lack of squad depth. We only woke up when some of the rested players came off the bench.

If we do get a few injuries to key players then we could fall well short of fans expectations of competing for the play offs again.

Aug 11, 2013
Not panicking but one goal from open play and 4 conceded in 3 games plus 2 defeats is a rather inauspicious start for a team who hope to improve on last years position. Winning games creates a virtuous circle of confidence; defeats do the opposite no matter the opposition/competition.

Time for an early boot up the ass in my opinion. This is not preseason. This is not the dress rehearsal. We need to be on it.

May 16, 2016
I don’t think anybody will be too worried that we lost tonight. However, the biggest worry based on some of the performances tonight is the lack of squad depth. We only woke up when some of the rested players came off the bench.

If we do get a few injuries to key players then we could fall well short of fans expectations of competing for the play offs again.
My thoughts as well. There's perhaps too big a gap between our 1st choice players and those brought in to understudy them.

Reactions: Burdy

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Jephcott has been mucked about a bit, firstly by Lowe and now Schumacher.
At the start of last season he came deep off Hardie to link up play and now this season he's been asked to play as an attacking midfielder as a number 10.

Both of those scenarios is not his game. When he came back from Truro and the following season he was a goal poacher with his best work around the penalty spot and being in the right place at the right time, similar to Sir Thomas of Tynan.

Both Lowe and Schumacher wanted Jephcott involved more in the general play but his career is suffering because of it.
It's now 2 goals from his last 17 appearances.

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
We need our luck to turn, before the team lose confidence , ever since Burton the "luck" has deserted us, the sooner it comes back the better.

Referee and linesman hopeless, very few decisions going our way, simple header for Ennis, straight at goalkeeper, loads of shooting opportunities all off target. A minor change in fortune and someone will get battered, not sure it will be Saturday though, Posh looked very confident even with the number of changes they made, not sure Saturday will be a good day for us ! Hoping to be wrong.