Argyle v Brighton youth cup | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Argyle v Brighton youth cup

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
Can’t comment on the game but find the tone of the coverage a bit defeatist.

it’s not that long ago we were in a higher division than Brighton and their youth team has a smaller catchment area to draw upon than we do.

as a premier league club their young players will have better training facilities and play against better opposition, but even so… is it really such an achievement to ‘only’ lose to them by one goal at home?
Brighton have spent millions on setting up their Category One Academy with top grade facilities. In doing so it allows them to recruit nationally rather than being restricted to their geographic area. Their Academy team players also have the opportunity to step up and regularly play in a competitive u-21 / u-23 Premiership reserve League. I think with Chelsea their Academy products have played the most game time in the Premiership this season.

Set against that background the Argyle Academy were more than competitive and deserved something out of the game. Compared to recent seasons I would say there are more players who played last night who have a chance of making the first team than many of the Academy teams that have preceded them. It is evident that they are well coached but more importantly give everything for the Club. Given our limited resources and facilities that is quite an achievement.

Last edited:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Can’t comment on the game but find the tone of the coverage a bit defeatist.

it’s not that long ago we were in a higher division than Brighton and their youth team has a smaller catchment area to draw upon than we do.

as a premier league club their young players will have better training facilities and play against better opposition, but even so… is it really such an achievement to ‘only’ lose to them by one goal at home?
Would you have said the same if it had been Reading, Birmingham City, Derby County or even Sunderland? You don't have to be in the Premier League to operate a Cat 1 academy and have your kids facing the best prospects week in week out. It won't come cheap but Cat 1 needs to be an Argyle goal.

Dec 30, 2020
Would you have said the same if it had been Reading, Birmingham City, Derby County or even Sunderland? You don't have to be in the Premier League to operate a Cat 1 academy and have your kids facing the best prospects week in week out. It won't come cheap but Cat 1 needs to be an Argyle goal.

I think you've missed my point, or I didn't explain it very well. Yes, I would be/am saying that we should be capable of beating teams like that given the size of our catchment area.

I doubt Argyle will have the resources for a category 1 academy any time soon, but given the number of players from Devon and Cornwall playing at a high level who developed outside the category 1 system, I think it's realistic for us to be bringing through a constant stream of top quality players regardless.

Reactions: Lundan Cabbie
Dec 30, 2020
Brighton have spent millions on setting up their Category One Academy with top grade facilities. In doing so it allows them to recruit nationally rather than being restricted to their geographic area. Their Academy team players also have the opportunity to step up and regularly play in a competitive u-21 / u-23 Premiership reserve League. I think with Chelsea their Academy products have played the most game time in the Premiership this season.

Set against that background the Argyle Academy were more than competitive and deserved something out of the game. Compared to recent seasons I would say there are more players who played last night who have a chance of making the first team than many of the Academy teams that have preceded them. It is evident that they are well coached but more importantly give everything for the Club. Given our limited resources and facilities that is quite an achievement.

Fair points Graham - I think the quality of opposition Brighton get playing other top academies and in the premier league reserve league is the most important difference with Argyle.

Our lads have had one reserve game with Exeter and a few have got some game time in the football league trophy, but after last night, will they play anyone of a better standard than Forest Green, Cheltenham etc again this season?

May 8, 2011
Just a bit disappointed in the lack of support and interest from supporters in this match, less than 500 at the game and very few comments on here.

Reactions: elburtontrev

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Just a bit disappointed in the lack of support and interest from supporters in this match, less than 500 at the game and very few comments on here.
I’ll be honest and say I didn’t know anything about it until I saw this thread. Was it promoted much? I’d have taken the kids if I had known.