Argyle memories | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Argyle memories

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
I can trump you by one year. My first definite Argyle match was the 8th January 1955 in the Third Round of the FA Cup at home to Newcastle. The crowd was 29,865. My Dad got me there early and we got in the front of the then uncovered Lyndhurst near half way line. Newcastle won 1-0 and four months later won the Final at Wembley beating Man City 3-1 with Jackie Milburn scoring after 45 seconds. In those days few households had a television set but a friend of mine did and there was at least a dozen of us gathered around his small black and white set for what was the first live match I saw on TV. How things have changed !!
Oh Yes, G as G, thank you for mentioning that cup tie! That was indeed my first match as well. We were not living in Plymouth at the time; we moved to the City in 1956, but my Father was on leave and we were staying with my Grand-Parents in Kingsbridge. Parents managed to get tickets for the game, and, as unbelievable as it now sounds, we were seated on bales of straw between the fencing and the pitch itself! Safety issues? No, absolutely fine!

Reactions: Green as Grass

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Mine also. My dad was always convinced that the then Board "took a dive" because it then cost money to play in League One and the Directors couldn't afford it and the team were "instructed" to throw the games.
I have spoken at length with most of the players from that side. I had a particularly strong and trusting friendship with two players. I asked them, with the tape switched off, were they instructed to avoid promotion. The answer was an emphatic "No". They both separately pointed to exhaustion, reminding me that Ellis Stuttard only changed the side through injury or illness. They both mentioned that a dry spell changed pitches from soft to hard and the firm pitches did not suit them. There was also an injury to winger Ken Maloy. He could be brilliant and awful in the same minute but when he got it right his pace was frightening. So although I thought for years what your Dad thought John Newman and Jim McAnearney put me right, as did the goalkeeper Dave Maclaren when I spoke to him in Australia.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
That’s very conclusive evidence, Steve. Did you get a chance to speak to any of the players from the 1920’s era? 😃 😃 😀

Oct 15, 2017
I can trump you by one year. My first definite Argyle match was the 8th January 1955 in the Third Round of the FA Cup at home to Newcastle. The crowd was 29,865. My Dad got me there early and we got in the front of the then uncovered Lyndhurst near half way line. Newcastle won 1-0 and four months later won the Final at Wembley beating Man City 3-1 with Jackie Milburn scoring after 45 seconds. In those days few households had a television set but a friend of mine did and there was at least a dozen of us gathered around his small black and white set for what was the first live match I saw on TV. How things have changed !!

I raise you 1947 so long ago I can't remember who we played, well I was only ten

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
That’s very conclusive evidence, Steve. Did you get a chance to speak to any of the players from the 1920’s era? 😃 😃 😀
Dave, I'm so disappointed that I worked with Sammy Black for about a year at RNAD Bull Point. We chatted a lot at breaks but I didn't write or record a single word. Players from 57-58 remain the first that I interviewed formally.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Surprised that you met anyone from that era. I was only joking.
Ian, I also spoke to a lovely old man called Jimmy Logan in the ground one day. Again, I listened to the stories but had no interest in recording or writing it down.

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
Ian, I also spoke to a lovely old man called Jimmy Logan in the ground one day. Again, I listened to the stories but had no interest in recording or writing it down.
I too remember speaking to Jimmy Logan at the Civil Service Sports Ground at Beacon Park. It was probably in the late sixties. He featured in Argyle's first ever Football League match and was a near ever present in the following 5 seasons. If only we could turn the clock back there would be a host of stories to be gained.

Feb 13, 2021
Have been supporting the Green Machine for some seventy years and recall the days of Short, Jones, MacShane and Porteous etc and the best ever signing over those years was Wilf Carter.

Reactions: saxman

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
Same here and can still list the 11 regulars in the team more easily than any team since - to be precise Shortt Ratcliffe Jones; Dougal Chisholm Porteous; Astall Dews Tadman Rattray and Govan. And I can picture each one and their style of play as I write. For example Paddy Ratcliffe would be red carded within the first few minutes today!

• Haha
Reactions: saxman

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
I too remember speaking to Jimmy Logan at the Civil Service Sports Ground at Beacon Park. It was probably in the late sixties. He featured in Argyle's first ever Football League match and was a near ever present in the following 5 seasons. If only we could turn the clock back there would be a host of stories to be gained.
Surely a number of my age group will remember dear old Bill Harper, the Scottish International goal keeper, after whom Harper's Park is named. He didn't join Argyle until 1930, but began playing professionally in Scotland in 1920. He was always good for an interesting story or two!

Reactions: Green as Grass

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
Same here and can still list the 11 regulars in the team more easily than any team since - to be precise Shortt Ratcliffe Jones; Dougal Chisholm Porteous; Astall Dews Tadman Rattray and Govan. And I can picture each one and their style of play as I write!

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
cricket 1932.jpg
Met Harry Cann a few times in his later years when he lived in Tintagel. He was a bit of a cricketer in his day as well if this old photo is anything to go by.