Argyle make two bids for Silvera (signs for Middlesbrough) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle make two bids for Silvera (signs for Middlesbrough)

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Think it's wrong to say he's going for the money. Michael Carrick got Boro playing a very attractive brand of football, and really got the best out of the players there taking them from a relegation battle to challenge for automatic promotion at one stage. They'll be expected to be competing at the top end again, and I imagine they want Silvera to start. Boro generally don't spend much in the transfer market, and it seems a strange signing to try and make to just bring in a back up player. As much as we can sell him a dream of how he can develop here, Carrick could have done the same, and used Akpom as a clear example.

Nov 18, 2011
So he's going for the short-term cash option! No brainer, as he'll say.
We're not the only ones with a good owner and coaching set up. Steve Gibson has been brilliant for Boro for nearly 30 years and Michael Carrick is one of the best regarded young coaches out there.

The training facilities at Boro will be another level compared to Argyle which will have been another attraction, one reason why we're looking to upgrade ours.

Plenty of local kids in their first team shows they know how to develop players.

Jun 27, 2019
Having a former Man Utd and England player chasing you would certainly stroke a young player's ego. As much as we all love Schuey, nobody outside these shores will have any idea who he is.

Reactions: SurreyJanner
Feb 23, 2021
Think it's wrong to say he's going for the money. Michael Carrick got Boro playing a very attractive brand of football, and really got the best out of the players there taking them from a relegation battle to challenge for automatic promotion at one stage. They'll be expected to be competing at the top end again, and I imagine they want Silvera to start. Boro generally don't spend much in the transfer market, and it seems a strange signing to try and make to just bring in a back up player. As much as we can sell him a dream of how he can develop here, Carrick could have done the same, and used Akpom as a clear example.
They also have Riley McGree as extra Aussie connection

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
I have always been puoff Middlesbrough after a mate of mine went there to study years back and informed me he had adopted the nickname for a local and he was now a “Smog Monster” or “Smoggie”.

Good luck to the Aussie in the land of smog when he could be sampling our green land and beautiful beaches.

Reactions: jimmygreen

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
That's a shame, though encouraging we're matching bids made by some big hitters.

And to be fair... it's not as nice as the south west but there is some absolutely stunning countryside around Middlesbrough, including beaches. No Boro player will be living in the town.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
That's a shame, though encouraging we're matching bids made by some big hitters.

And to be fair... it's not as nice as the south west but there is some absolutely stunning countryside around Middlesbrough, including beaches. No Boro player will be living in the town.
There are some great spots at the head of the Tees Valley, I agree. Having said that it is a bloody cold spot in the winter in an easterly blowing from a frozen Russia. If he has enjoyed the warmth of Australia in the past, he may well be looking up Yellow Pages to discover businesses selling welding gear fairly swiftly!

Dec 30, 2020
I believe Gareth Southgate still lives near Middlesbrough after settling there when he played for them.

Vouches for the quality of the area to some extent, although his reference points from his previous clubs would have been Croydon and Birmingham.

Apr 1, 2009
Southgate lives in the Harrogate area - I met him at a hotel opening there a few years ago.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
A grim Northern outpost, an industrial North midlands conurbation or the beautiful South West …. surely it’s Argyle 😀

And we’ve got A league players at our club to make Sammy feel at home.. 👍

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Interesting that the rumour is that the accepted bid was £1m. Think we’re starting to play at the big boys table.

Reactions: IvyG

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Interesting that the rumour is that the accepted bid was £1m. Think we’re starting to play at the big boys table.

It's one million Australian dollars which works out about £520,000 and would have been our transfer record.

Reactions: IvyG

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
It's one million Australian dollars which works out about £520,000 and would have been our transfer record.
Apparently the accepted offers were in excess of $1m so maybe our bid was £550,000 - £600,000.

Aug 17, 2006
I have always been puoff Middlesbrough after a mate of mine went there to study years back and informed me he had adopted the nickname for a local and he was now a “Smog Monster” or “Smoggie”.

Good luck to the Aussie in the land of smog when he could be sampling our green land and beautiful beaches.
They've also got green fields and beaches. Check out the geography of the area. Boro has some not so good areas but it's hospital is top notch for heart surgery. I had a triple there. It has been transformed in recent years.