Argyle in the Times | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle in the Times

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
It's not that people don't like it, it's because a blanket has been thrown over many totally separate towns (Castlefield, Featherstone, Pontefract, Ossett... the list goes on and on and on) in West Yorkshire and given that metro area the name of City of Wakefield.

No reasonable person thinks Wakefield itself (population 99k) is bigger than Plymouth.
However the make-up of the City of Wakefield might be, the fact remains that all those towns are part of an official city. It is not for us to determine what makes a city a city. If they have been granted city status then they are a city. Even Plymouth became a city by "throwing a blanket" over the three towns.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
In reality it’s a mixture of both as to why ‘Plymouth is the biggest City never to have a Tier 1 club’

1) Wakefield is a funny ball supporting GNS

2) It’s made up from 3 or 4 GNS’s

So, I think we will stick with what we know.

Plymouth IS the largest City in the UK that has a football club which hasn’t been in Tier 1.

Thanks to Lundan (Sarginson) Cabbie for the confusion.

Reactions: Biggs

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
In reality it’s a mixture of both as to why ‘Plymouth is the biggest City never to have a Tier 1 club’

1) Wakefield is a funny ball supporting GNS

2) It’s made up from 3 or 4 GNS’s

So, I think we will stick with what we know.

Plymouth IS the largest City in the UK that has a football club which hasn’t been in Tier 1.

Thanks to Lundan (Sarginson) Cabbie for the confusion.
Soooooo.... in that case, which city takes over from Plymouth when Argyle reach the Premier League?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
However the make-up of the City of Wakefield might be, the fact remains that all those towns are part of an official city. It is not for us to determine what makes a city a city. If they have been granted city status then they are a city. Even Plymouth became a city by "throwing a blanket" over the three towns.

Is Devonport 15 miles away from Stonehouse?

You have to use a bit of common sense with these things, in the age of metro areas and urban authorities etc. And Plymouth is clearly a bigger 'place' than Wakefield in any traditional sense.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Is Devonport 15 miles away from Stonehouse?

You have to use a bit of common sense with these things, in the age of metro areas and urban authorities etc. And Plymouth is clearly a bigger 'place' than Wakefield in any traditional sense.
Hmmmmm..... have those who grant city status overlooked these things then? Write to them and tell them they are not using their common sense. :ROFLMAO:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Hmmmmm..... have those who grant city status overlooked these things then? Write to them and tell them they are not using their common sense. :ROFLMAO:

Wakefield (99k) is a city in the same definition that Plymouth (264k) is a city, the City of Wakefield (300k+) is the name of the metropolitan borough that covers half of West Yorkshire.

Anyway, this argument is EVEN more tedious than the shirt colour debate so I'll leave it there 😂

The only point I'll concede is that Wakefield might have a slightly nicer cathedral 😛

Reactions: Lundan Cabbie
Jun 24, 2008
Yorkshire
And I believe that Doncaster is actually the largest metropolitan Borough despite only being a town ! Before anybody questions this I mean in area rather than population ! But both have larger populations then Plymouth

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
So it not being a City means it can't be a claimant for this embarrassing 'accolade' can it?

Sorry peeps it hangs around our neck like a bleddy albatross.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Wakefield (99k) is a city in the same definition that Plymouth (264k) is a city, the City of Wakefield (300k+) is the name of the metropolitan borough that covers half of West Yorkshire.

Anyway, this argument is EVEN more tedious than the shirt colour debate so I'll leave it there 😂

The only point I'll concede is that Wakefield might have a slightly nicer cathedral 😛
Plymouth has a stunning cathedral in what clearly used to be a beautiful square (and could be again)...it's just tucked away a bit. I recommend a walk to it if you get the time. https://www.plymouthcathedral.co.uk

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Peterborough maybe? It's a city, population 202,259 (mid 2019)
I would say Salford but some claim that Man United are in Salford rather than Manchester. Not sure that that is the case though.

The unwanted title was "held" by Kingston-upon-Hull before the turn of the century but in 2000 Brighton & Hove took over the mantle when they gained City status and held onto it until 2017. Since then Plymouth has claimed the crown. The town of Hove had of course seen First Division football at the end of the seventies, beginning of the eighties but it wasn't a city back then.

Dec 30, 2020
Peterborough maybe? It's a city, population 202,259 (mid 2019)

I think that figure is the area served by Peterborough City Council, which extends way beyond the city of Peterborough (similar to Wakefield above).

You can get the Office for National Statistics figures on the populations of 'major towns and cities', which conform with the actual city limits rather than local government boundaries here - https://www.nomisweb.co.uk/query/construct/components/stdListComponent.asp?menuopt=12&subcomp=100

Plymouth comes in as 17th biggest in England and Wales with a population of 266,552, between Southampton and Derby and is the biggest on the list never to have played host to top flight football. Milton Keynes (29th place population 185k) is the next one down.

Last edited: