U18's who could make the step up. (merged x 3) | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

U18's who could make the step up. (merged x 3)

Oct 20, 2022
Living so far from Plymouth I can only read about the U18’s and Academy lads.To any fan who sees them regularly, is there any serious talent coming through and can Issaka and Robert’s make the step up in the next couple of years?

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Living so far from Plymouth I can only read about the U18’s and Academy lads.To any fan who sees them regularly, is there any serious talent coming through and can Issaka and Robert’s make the step up in the next couple of years?
Not convinced about either of those, at championship level anyway. Freddie can only play 60 mins, and Caleb needs to beef up if he's to play in the middle. Both good players of course, but not at this level.

A few younger lads have had some good potential. Jack Matthews, Kieran Edworthy and Joe Hatch all look promising. And keep an eye out for Kian Burch. U16s player, however he has been involved in the U18s on and off and has minutes under his belt.

Oct 20, 2022
Not convinced about either of those, at championship level anyway. Freddie can only play 60 mins, and Caleb needs to beef up if he's to play in the middle. Both good players of course, but not at this level.

A few younger lads have had some good potential. Jack Matthews, Kieran Edworthy and Joe Hatch all look promising. And keep an eye out for Kian Burch. U16s player, however he has been involved in the U18s on and off and has minutes under his belt.
Thanks for that.

Reactions: Monster Green
Oct 10, 2018
Joe Hatch always seems to influence a game whether it's creating or scoring goals,
Freddie I and Caleb R really should have been loaned out for experience to gain 1st team football this season, didn't see much point to them being dragged along on coach journey far and wide, never to come off the bench.

Freddie I could have helped team like stevenage who were competitive in L1 but had limited front line options, Caleb R could have gone to Yeovil town, or Forest green to continue development with regular football

Oct 10, 2018
Argyle definitely seems to have a lack.pf loan opportunities for our favoured prospects, other than local non league teams like Tiverton, torquay, Turo, no disrespect to these clubs, but to be loaned out at that level is far to below the league structure to gain a worthy experience. L2 or National League bare minimum, given Argyke league level.

Oct 10, 2018
Look at this season, we had three players who.Shuey started with against L1 and L2 clubs in the EFL troph, did well and then loaned to Tavy, Turo and Tiverton.

Even if they start every game and m.o.m every week, to expect them to come back to Argyke and push for a start in championship starting line up, is a gigantic reach

Oct 10, 2018
Why do Argyle prospects like will Jenkin Davis, Jack endacott, Freddie I, Or Caleb R only ever get loans to Non league regional clubs, too far down the prymid structure to provide any meaningful experience.

A huge concern and area for re- dress for DOF, and a huge barrier to success for any incoming new manager.

Reactions: Moorlander
Jul 2, 2022
There was an interview last pre season with I think Schuey but maybe Nance where he was asked about loaning out some of the young players. He stated that it was club policy not to loan out first year pro’s, it’s something they plan to do in their second year. I can’t remember the reasons given but I imagine they prioritise the players learning to be pros at the club, being around the first team environment in training and feeling they are part of the club.

Reactions: saxman
Oct 10, 2018
That's not the case here though, WJD, Jack E, Freddie I, Caleb R none of these players are 1st year pro's, all in at least 2nd year some more.

Truth be told, I think other clubs don't put any stock in Argyles ability to create talent, still think many see devin as a rugby county,

Oct 10, 2018
I honestly think this is one of the driving forces behind SH focus on brickfields as he is aware of this lack of opportunity, so feels the club will need to keep develop in house.

Oct 10, 2018
It's an area any new manager has to treat as a priority in developing and building the strongest squad, we need to open up loan out options like Saxon E to Wycombe and T Wright to Bradford,