Any jazz fans? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Any jazz fans?

Jun 5, 2021
Any jazz fans? Yes —— Pete Russell’s Hot Record Store in Market Avenue in 1967 ish. My first introduction to jazz. Charles Lloyd, Keith Jarrett, Coltrane, Miles etc.etc. Wonderful memories and happy days! Still have the records of course.

Reactions: EuroJim

EuroJim

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 26, 2017
Gent, Belgium
www.jimsfrenchflanders.com
Early jazz memories when I was a Punk in Plymouth, we used to go and see Roy Pellet play at the Millbridge Inn, or similar stuff at the Barbican Jazz bar. I also remember seeing a young Courtney Pine at the Theatre Royal, but not quite getting it at the time. Then there was a moment at the China house when Mo had an Astrid Gilberto CD playing, I was entranced and immediately went in town to buy it. Many years later I moved to Amsterdam, which was fantastic for free jazz sets in bars, introducing me to lots of interesting modern forms.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I don't really 'do' music, but I am completely and utterly mystified by that noise called jazz.

I always smile when I hear it, it's like I'm from a different planet or something.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
One of the very first records that I ever bought was Dave Brubeck “Take Five”.

60 years down the line, it’s still a “go to” if I want a chill out.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Strange thing, jazz. Never liked it at all, just sounds like a continuous jam session to me.
However, prog rock, which I love, is influenced by jazz, as well as classical, blues, etc.
Never understood why I like one and not the other but, sorry, jazz really does my head in!
At least it is not as bad as country and western!!

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I love music - I love all genres from classical to country to gospel to dance to folk to industrial metal ....

But I just don't get jazz. I don't like swing, don't like that big band sound, and that free jazz sound can go do one as far as I'm concerned. Bebop and modal are probably the only sounds I like ... and I err more towards modal than bebop. Which probably explains why the only jazz CDs I own are Coltraine's A Love Supreme and Miles Davis's Kind of Blue on CD (which, to be fair, are both excellent albums to listen to in their own right and rightly considered two of the greatest albums of the 20th century).

Funnily enough Quinny you’ve just beaten me to a post suggesting that if you want to get into jazz, try Kind of Blue. With several jazz hating friends I’ve insisted they play it two or three times until it clicks, and now they love it. Alternatively, try two current bands achieving sell-outs all over Europe, Mammal Hands and the Matthew Halsall quintet. My wife is a life-long jazz hater, but now plays them regularly.

Reactions: Quinny

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Kind of Blue is actually quite nice. Less 'piercing'. (y)