Any concerns about the upcoming season? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Any concerns about the upcoming season?

Aug 17, 2005
In the close season matches I would of liked to of seen more players playing in different positions. Like Houghton and randell both playing instead of one or the other. Mayor playing in the right midfield position where he wouldn't have to cut back to put on his right foot. Galloway and Gillespie taking up the lch and lwb positions together where they swap over

Aug 11, 2013
I wonder how bad our defence really was last year?

Jerome Opoku looks like heā€™s gained a new contract at Fulham and is expecting a Championship loan. Lowe thought he had a bright future.

Jerome Opoku has 'a big future' says Plymouth Argyle manager Ryan Lowe (Herald Feb 21))​

Kell Watts is getting rave reviews at Newcastle.

Newcastle United boss Steve Bruce praises former Plymouth Argyle loanee Kell Watts (5 days ago Chronicle Live)​

Another, Sam Woods is highly rated at Palace and Lowe thought he was a diamond when he landed him

ā€˜I knew straight away he was a diamond.
Everyone at Crystal Palace speaks highly of himā€ Ryan Lowe Feb 21 Herald.

Where did it all go wrong?

I think we will quickly find out whether last years recruits were the issue. or whether it was the manager and his tactics which were at fault. If we concede two goals per game in our opening few fixtures it will be the latter.

Iā€™m not as confident as others that our defence is necessarily fixed. A couple of clean sheets in our opening fixtures might change my mind and convince me we can finish in top 10. 2 goals per game conceded early doors and it might be a rinse and repeat of last year with Lowe gone by Chrimbo.

ngs

Apr 7, 2020

Jerome Opoku looks like heā€™s gained a new contract at Fulham and is expecting a Championship loan. Lowe thought he had a bright future.

Jerome Opoku has 'a big future' says Plymouth Argyle manager Ryan Lowe (Herald Feb 21))​

Newcastle United boss Steve Bruce praises former Plymouth Argyle loanee Kell Watts (5 days ago Chronicle Live)​

Another, Sam Woods is highly rated at Palace and Lowe thought he was a diamond when he landed him

I think we will quickly find out whether last years recruits were the issue. or whether it was the manager and his tactics which were at fault. If we concede two goals per game in our opening few fixtures it will be the latter.

Iā€™m not as confident as others that our defence is necessarily fixed. A couple of clean sheets in our opening fixtures might change my mind and convince me we can finish in top 10. 2 goals per game conceded early doors and it might be a rinse and repeat of last year with Lowe gone by Chrimbo.
As far as I'm aware Opoku has gone on loan somewhere in Denmark and Woods has been released by Palace. Not highly rated enough it would seem.

Watts is obviously impressing back at Newcastle, I'd imagine he is playing alongside a much more experienced and better player than Opoku and more then likey has a left back or lwb of better experience and quality outside him aswell.

They may well be good players but I'm more than happy with this summers recruits over last years.

Sep 2, 2008
For me it all comes down to Loweā€™s tactics.

Some of the players feel shoehorned into positions and l feel it doesnā€™t help the team. The only width we have is our wing backs and they arenā€™t quick enough l feel. Thatā€™s how you hurt teams. From wide position.

The real conversation should be not the new defence. Its wether Loweā€™s game tactics can improve. There were times we just watched the same mistakes again and again. He did nothing.

Although PSFā€™s results arenā€™t important they still help you try to get over your style of play. There still has been some suicidal balls from the defence into midfield and teams that press well have had their best chances from our players choosing the wrong option.

We might have more experienced defenders but if we are playing a similar slow, tippy tappy style then I fear for us because we will lose the ball too many times in our third of the pitch. I got no problem with possession football but its when it goes sideways and back it feels pointless unless your winning and seeing a game out.

Finally, the forward line. Ennis l think is fantastic. Hardie is decent. Iā€™m not convinced with Jephcott. As we play we two forwards we need much better upfront If we going to really hurt teams.
Pretty much what I think as well. Rotherham away is a good first test.

Aug 5, 2016
I am more pessimistic than most. We just donā€™t have squad depth at the moment.

We had issues last season and it remains to be seen if they can be resolved.
At the moment I am thinking 12th - 18th placed finish.
Iā€™d be happy with anything better than that.

Aug 5, 2016

Why are you dragging up quotes like it is exposing Ryan Loweā€™s judgement?

Heā€™s hardly going to say ā€œwell this young defender is raw and not exactly the best, they say he is a defender but he canā€™t really head very well, but I spent all my wage budget getting Hardie back and giving Jephcott and Cooper decent new contracts to stop them leaving, so weā€™re a bit desperate now. Anyway welcome Jerome.ā€

We all know what we saw of our defending last season and Ryan Lowe saw it too. The change in recruitment strategy is evident, proven and experienced lower league defenders, not academy graduates on their first coach trip.

We conceded so many soft goals last season it was remarkable. No one is suggesting our defence is fixed, but there is no way we will have that soft underbelly and naivety that was painful to watch.

We wonā€™t have the best defence in the division, but hopefully we wonā€™t have one of the worst either. That in itself will be a big improvement.

Reactions: saxman
Sep 6, 2006
My concern is that once again anyone showing any optimism, or you know.... support.... For the club, players or management, will be rounded on, bludgeoned, then buried under a mountain of negativity.
I wouldn't concern yourself too much over that really if I were you. Its called having a different opinion and not being a happy clapper.

• Haha
Reactions: Allanon
Sep 6, 2006
my main observation is getting the ball to our forwards,if we can do this i think we will be promoted with niall ennis being top scorer.we have a much better defence and randell will play most matches.
Remind us of your prediction last season Steve. Wasn't promotion was it?

Sep 6, 2006
As optimists have a different opinion to pessimistic miserable gits.
But not being abusive or obnoxious for just having a different opinion or perspective unlike some. Then we all lived happily ever after. You do believe in fairy tales I assume?

Apr 4, 2015
I'm not convinced about the defensive signings just yet, yes they are more experienced and we shouldn't struggle as much as last season but we will see. I hope they are an upgrade but im reserving judgement as I still think we are a bit light in the defensive department. The last time we had Houghton he didn't impress me very much but he might've improved in the meantime, when Cooper is fit again he will be crucial to the team by taking some of the heat off of Mayor who also needs a better season imo. I dont share other peoples opinions about the forwards as I think its probably the strongest department of our team.

Hopefully we will have more than one way of playing this season and will adapt better to game situations as last season we were awful at it and panicked whenever the opposition had a go at us.

Overall I think that we are more likely to finish higher mid table (8 - 12th) than have an outside chance of the chasing play offs or relegation.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
But not being abusive or obnoxious for just having a different opinion or perspective unlike some. Then we all lived happily ever after. You do believe in fairy tales I assume?

Are you calling other posters abusive and obnoxious BG ? As to the thought of living happily ever after , you're having a laugh , almost every post you make is to start or continue a disagreement with someone . Just in case there's any confusion , that's my perspective.

Oct 10, 2012
I know a lot of people like Ryan Lowe. Iā€™m not so keen myself however IF we get off to a poor start, is it fair to include the end of last seasons poor form when judging him?
I hope he proves me wrong but Iā€™m convinced heā€™s the man to progress us any further.