Any Argyle fans aboard? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Any Argyle fans aboard?

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Trev501":ljyf8gsq said:
It seems my memory is not what it was :) I have just rummaged through my records and Cleo was from 84 to 86 so it seems we served together John.

Thought so, Steve Best and I were your seacat maintainers.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
memory man":t9x329cx said:
tigertony":t9x329cx said:
memory man":t9x329cx said:
tigertony":t9x329cx said:
Actually - he / family have some serious dosh - get him into Argyle :greensmile:
So why has he spent so much time working for non-achieving QUANGOs then?
:think: no idea. He is/was Chairman of FGW. His last house had a huge outdoor model railway

http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/201 ... 66x668.jpg

He left the RN to try and become an MP but didn't quite make it. Its one of about 2 reasons the RN are obliged to let you back in again. He would have been huge in the Commons - and kept the bar afloat. :stout:

I took my relief to see him at 9am and his first words were ''wobbly coffee?'' :thumbup:
Cannot argue with that. Would like to have seen a Cheif Whip who impose anything on him! He was there (Gib) towards the end of my time and certainly made the social arena and ONH a better place to be. Without ever being near the ship I had heard he was a legend during his time in Cleo.
Who were you then ???? :think:

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
John Cooper":15nsnpzu said:
Trev501":15nsnpzu said:
It seems my memory is not what it was :) I have just rummaged through my records and Cleo was from 84 to 86 so it seems we served together John.

I had Seacat in the back of my mind John but wasn't sure. Great to make the connection!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Trev501":3pzph5fl said:
John Cooper":3pzph5fl said:
Trev501":3pzph5fl said:

I had Seacat in the back of my mind John but wasn't sure. Great to make the connection!
Small world - I spent my working life looking after and issuing 4.5" (Mk 5 and Mk 8), Bofors, Oerliken, Depth Charges, Mk 8, Mk 24 and Mk 44/46 Torps, Sea Slug, Sea Cat, Sea Dart, Sea Wolf, Exocet, Harpoon et al, both from Ernesettle and from many RFAs at sea. My opposite number was normally the DWEO. When I started we used to work alongside the wall in Guzz, trying to stay out of the way of the welders! My first issues were to Berwick and my last to Ocean and Bulwark. I began to feel old when I worked with my second Bulwark, my second Ark Royal and the second Kent. Good days and 42 very happy MoD years for me. And keeping to post, the first question I asked was always "Any Argyle fans aboard?"

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
memory man":1o922hdv said:
Trev501":1o922hdv said:
John Cooper":1o922hdv said:
Trev501":1o922hdv said:

Small world - I spent my working life looking after and issuing 4.5" (Mk 5 and Mk 8), Bofors, Oerliken, Depth Charges, Mk 8, Mk 24 and Mk 44/46 Torps, Sea Slug, Sea Cat, Sea Dart, Sea Wolf, Exocet, Harpoon et al, both from Ernesettle and from many RFAs at sea. My opposite number was normally the DWEO. When I started we used to work alongside the wall in Guzz, trying to stay out of the way of the welders! My first issues were to Berwick and my last to Ocean and Bulwark. I began to feel old when I worked with my second Bulwark, my second Ark Royal and the second Kent. Good days and 42 very happy MoD years for me. And keeping to post, the first question I asked was always "Any Argyle fans aboard?"
Ah happy days!

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Trev501":1tn4414h said:
memory man":1tn4414h said:
John Cooper":1tn4414h said:

Ah happy days!
This thread is becoming a real tear jerker. Fort Grange was my second home for almost 3 years and one of the RFA crew named Tony Sherlock or ''Shylock'' was a real green through and through. He was the purser. Long time ago :lol:

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
tigertony":3rlrcrh3 said:
memory man":3rlrcrh3 said:
memory man":3rlrcrh3 said:
Actually - he / family have some serious dosh - get him into Argyle
:think: no idea. He is/was Chairman of FGW. His last house had a huge outdoor model railway

He left the RN to try and become an MP but didn't quite make it. Its one of about 2 reasons the RN are obliged to let you back in again. He would have been huge in the Commons - and kept the bar afloat. :stout:

I took my relief to see him at 9am and his first words were ''wobbly coffee?''
Cannot argue with that. Would like to have seen a Cheif Whip who impose anything on him! He was there (Gib) towards the end of my time and certainly made the social arena and ONH a better place to be. Without ever being near the ship I had heard he was a legend during his time in Cleo.
PSTO(N) organisation, I was running Fosseway - check your old PMs!!! Lived at BV.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
memory man":tcg5btqi said:
tigertony":tcg5btqi said:
Actually - he / family have some serious dosh - get him into Argyle

I took my relief to see him at 9am and his first words were ''wobbly coffee?''
PSTO(N) organisation, I was running Fosseway - check your old PMs!!! Lived at BV.
BV = Buena Vista ?? Been years y'know :lol: I lived at South Barrack Sheds then that house opposite the hospital. I feel old now !!!!

Apr 22, 2013
not that is has anything to do with the thread but I served on the Cleo as well (86-89-i think). Joined it as a POMEA and left as a CPOMEA-great ship, lots of laughs -best of all no flight so the flight deck was for sport or bronzying- still serving now (just). Seem to remember that tiny little was XO for most/some of that time but could well be wrong.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Leander class Frigates...best ships Pusser ever bought!

I was on HMS Scylla, 1971 - 1974, she was the last ever warship constructed wholly in Devonport Dockyard!

Pretty sure it was the Cleo that their Lordships removed the propellor from and we towed it around the Med, carrying out noise trials!

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Another coincidence. I was on the Scylla from 1973 to 1975. Best ship I ever served on.

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
Whilst we are at it :)

HMS Cleopatra - (1971 - 1972)
HMS Argonaut - (1974 - 1976)
HMS Charybdis - (1977 - 1977)
HMS Danae - (1979 - 1983)
HMS Cleopatra - (1984 - 1986)
HMS Sirius - (1992 - 1993)
HMS Alacrity - (1993 - 1994)
HMS Montrose - (1998 - 2000)

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
lyndhurstgreen":cybt5s4h said:
not that is has anything to do with the thread but I served on the Cleo as well (86-89-i think). Joined it as a POMEA and left as a CPOMEA-great ship, lots of laughs -best of all no flight so the flight deck was for sport or bronzying- still serving now (just). Seem to remember that tiny little was XO for most/some of that time but could well be wrong.
Steady boy steady !! Who fetches the mail, gets the fresh fish from foreign fishing boats, identifies the targets, get all the baywaych birds at the ''cockers p'', collects the flying pay and .... actually has to talk to the PWO :facepalm:

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
tigertony":zbu1e36k said:
lyndhurstgreen":zbu1e36k said:
Steady boy steady !! Who fetches the mail, gets the fresh fish from foreign fishing boats, identifies the targets, get all the baywaych birds at the ''cockers p'', collects the flying pay and .... actually has to talk to the PWO :facepalm:
LOL! All true :lol: