Agard (must be wondering what he has done wrong)) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Agard (must be wondering what he has done wrong))

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
Jephcott's gone off the boil again in front of goal. Apart from a penalty against Doncaster and a goal stolen from Joe Edwards against Ipswich, he's not scored since 28th August. And for me that lack of confidence really showed on Tuesday night. I like Garrick, but we need a fox in the box against Wigan, to take a chance or 2 that we will undoubtedly create, and Agard fits the bill for me.

Reactions: downinlooe
Apr 1, 2009
Check out YouTube..nuff said
Very nice stuff on YouTube. However almost all of it was 3-5 seasons ago, which does weaken your argument. Is he still capable of that? I (indeed all of us) haven't seen enough to be sure.

If he was still that good he would probably be at MK, or certainly wouldn't have been a free agent in September.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Jephcott's gone off the boil again in front of goal. Apart from a penalty against Doncaster and a goal stolen from Joe Edwards against Ipswich, he's not scored since 28th August. And for me that lack of confidence really showed on Tuesday night. I like Garrick, but we need a fox in the box against Wigan, to take a chance or 2 that we will undoubtedly create, and Agard fits the bill for me.

The problem with Jephcott for me is that last season, he was scoring lots of goals but contributing nothing else, this season he's contributing a fair bit but isn't scoring goals. He needs to find a way to do a bit of both.

Reactions: saxman and RKB
Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Desperate signing as a free agent. He won't renew and hopefully we can do better than him in Jan. Waste of time.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
The problem with Jephcott for me is that last season, he was scoring lots of goals but contributing nothing else, this season he's contributing a fair bit but isn't scoring goals. He needs to find a way to do a bit of both.
For me, I think Luke is coming way too deep. His greatest strength is arriving in the 6 yard box at the right time to score tap-ins. Look at how many of his goals were like that in the first half of last season, it was staggering. Now, he's coming too deep and trying to set up Hardie with through balls. We all know that Hardie's strength is his pace and dribbling ability, so it makes sense for Luke to turn provider, but it means he won't score anywhere near as many as he's simply not in the right positions. He can't do both, and I feel for Luke, but I don't think he's suited to RL's style of play this season.

As for Agard, I haven't seen enough of him to really warrant him starting yet. He was pretty ineffective against Wigan when he came on so maybe we'd be better off freeing up his wages in January, especially with Ennis due back (hopefully) soon.

Jun 27, 2019
For me, I think Luke is coming way too deep. His greatest strength is arriving in the 6 yard box at the right time to score tap-ins. Look at how many of his goals were like that in the first half of last season, it was staggering. Now, he's coming too deep and trying to set up Hardie with through balls. We all know that Hardie's strength is his pace and dribbling ability, so it makes sense for Luke to turn provider, but it means he won't score anywhere near as many as he's simply not in the right positions. He can't do both, and I feel for Luke, but I don't think he's suited to RL's style of play this season.

As for Agard, I haven't seen enough of him to really warrant him starting yet. He was pretty ineffective against Wigan when he came on so maybe we'd be better off freeing up his wages in January, especially with Ennis due back (hopefully) soon.
I don't know, he played a pretty effective role in Wigan's winner. How an experienced pro could allow themselves to be robbed of the ball when they have it shielded from an opponent is beyond me. If Lowe hadn't made his mind up about him before then that would have done it.

Jephcott is getting pelters from some fans at the moment but I can almost guarantee that wouldn't have happened to him and he's more than a decade younger.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
I don't know, he played a pretty effective role in Wigan's winner. How an experienced pro could allow themselves to be robbed of the ball when they have it shielded from an opponent is beyond me. If Lowe hadn't made his mind up about him before then that would have done it.

Jephcott is getting pelters from some fans at the moment but I can almost guarantee that wouldn't have happened to him and he's more than a decade younger.
That second goal was an absolute mess but you're right - Agard didn't hold the ball at all well. That said, the midfield went completely to sleep and the defence was far too slow to react to the through ball. If the guy feared he couldn't beat Coops from that angle there was a very obvious square ball waiting to tap it in.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog

I had assumed that Jephcott was coming so deep because that was what he was being told/coached to do and that it was for this reason that he was picked over Garrick in the last couple of games. But Ryan Lowe's comments explaining Jephcott's early substitution on Saturday implied that it was Jephcott making this decision and not an instruction from the management team. I suspect that the truth lies somewhere in between - that Jephcott has been instructed/coached to come deep but perhaps he has followed that instruction too rigidly. I guess that if he was a more mobile (faster) player then he would be better able to drop deep when necessary but also get into advanced positions in the box more readily. Currently he's obviously able to do one or other role pretty well but he needs to find a way to do both if he is going to continue to develop and step up to the next level of performance.

Feb 8, 2005

Maybe Lowe has one eye on James Norwood, an Ipswich striker who has played only 22 minutes under Paul Cook and obviously doesn't sit in his plans.

Argyle, Portsmouth, Oxford and Lincoln vying for James Norwood in January window.

Norwoods goals

Two footed and can score with his head, 31 years of age.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
The video is good but how aged is it? Surely if the guy is so accomplished as a striker, why the hell is Cook not selecting him, unless there has been a major bust-up between them. As to the economics of his possible signature in January, it would be a case of Wilson selling the city / club to his former team mate versus the probability of Portsmouth paying a bigger wage. Money talks and he would be nearer home!

Feb 8, 2005
The video is good but how aged is it? Surely if the guy is so accomplished as a striker, why the hell is Cook not selecting him, unless there has been a major bust-up between them. As to the economics of his possible signature in January, it would be a case of Wilson selling the city / club to his former team mate versus the probability of Portsmouth paying a bigger wage. Money talks and he would be nearer home!
The video gives a good indication of what he is capable of, but I'd like to see a video of his misses through the years before coming to a decision on his suitability.
Lowe was apparently interested in him previously - he had signed a three year contract with Ipswich which expires in summer of 22, so is ripe for plucking in January.
Depends really if Lowe wants to use him as an alternative striker, or as a squad player aka Agard.
He has been guilty of a drink drive offence (twice), but his latest driving ban of 40 months has now been suspended.
He impressed Paul Cook in pre-season with his physical condition and his attitude and avoided the cull when Cook had a purge of his staff at that time, but it appears they have now fallen out, he is now training with the under 23's and he was put on the transfer list on 11th November this year.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Score with his head? Never get in Argyle team. Not our style!
Yes that is 'old fashioned' and 'out of date' in the modern game, or so I've been told on here!
Watching that video, it's the King Tommy thing, not the greatest flashiest footballer you'll ever see but always on the move first, always a yard ahead of his marker (who is wondering what just happened), always the one who gets to a loose ball 0.5 of a yard out and or scores with the ball that the defender has just thought he has robbed him of!

Proper striker so; get him here, get him (match) fit? I won't complain (Not in my nature BG as you know ;) !)

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
But he is playing deeper than last season, so maybe Lowe needs to tell Luke to generally play 5 yards further up the pitch..