• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

After Brexit

signalspast

50/50 Sponsor
T.O Support
Aug 17, 2005
The EU rate of inflation is 3.2% slightly higher than 3.0% in the UK. However the Bank of England has warned that this will rise significantly this year , exacerbated by the UK's self imposed trade barriers with the EU from where we import just under half our stuff. Then in January if the Government does actually get Brexit done can you imagine what will happen to inflation when every single item coming into the country will be subject to quantifying, quality checked forms and other red tape, duties, VAT and tariffs where country of origin checks aren't passed.

In the last few weeks the pound has depreciated from 1.18 to 1.16 euros and again its only going one way when Brexit is fully implemented. The pound was 1.42 just before the Brexit vote was announced ie we're paying 20% more for everything coming into the UK from Europe plus foreign travel holidays etc
I am aware of the differences between the eu and the uk however I deliberately chose Germany as they are the main paymasters of the eu with an inflation rate already of 4.2 and expected to go up to 4.5 by the end of the year. Now u are very fond of pointing things out that your opinion is bad for the uk. Like inflation a few weeks back. However u don't accept its bad for the EU. They have been issuing bonds for years now and have 3 trillion of them in circulation, as you pointed out for uk as interest rates go up so does the repayments on those bonds. In order to keep inflation under control they can either cut interest rates currently impossible or cut off the money supply the quantative easing. Germany being the main paymasters are naturally against the issuing of the bonds and will be pushing for the ending of it. Its going to be a very fine balancing act and it could easily end with the demise of the euro

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
Empty shelves in the heart of Brussels this morning, with notice saying due to logistical reasons

100FD6FD-EFC9-4408-90A7-559DE11B6BE4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 15, 2011
I am aware of the differences between the eu and the uk however I deliberately chose Germany as they are the main paymasters of the eu with an inflation rate already of 4.2 and expected to go up to 4.5 by the end of the year. Now u are very fond of pointing things out that your opinion is bad for the uk. Like inflation a few weeks back. However u don't accept its bad for the EU. They have been issuing bonds for years now and have 3 trillion of them in circulation, as you pointed out for uk as interest rates go up so does the repayments on those bonds. In order to keep inflation under control they can either cut interest rates currently impossible or cut off the money supply the quantative easing. Germany being the main paymasters are naturally against the issuing of the bonds and will be pushing for the ending of it. Its going to be a very fine balancing act and it could easily end with the demise of the euro
Interesting thoughts and I agree with some of it.

Only thing I would say is that Germany while being important and the most powerful country only represent 1/5 of Eu gdp so by no means can dictate to the 27.

Otherwise I think you meant to say raise rather than cut interest rates to control the inflation , that’s what is coming down the line here.

I don’t think anyone can say what the next year holds economically with any confidence, other than it’s going to be a rough ride. The massive handicap the U.K. has with Europe is the self imposed trade barriers with our biggest market and that’s a huge problem.

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
I saw that from the daily express one empty row of shelves in a mini mart with a headline brexiteers rejoice as empty shelves hit Brussels. As if any human being would rejoice about people not having food. Jeez
It’s you who talks about little Britain and empty shelves. To be honest the only half empty shelf I have seen was of fizzy drinks, last week, when there was a scare on the shortage of CO2 - called into my local Co-op this morning and every shelf was stacked to the gunnels.
Only last week remoaners were celebrating a photo of a row of empty shelves in a supermarket only to be proved that it was a photo taken in March 2020 when there was a rush to buy toilet rolls - some people are really sad.
On petrol - I filled up in York on Sunday no queue, on Monday I filled up again in Chester no queue and Wednesday morning I filled up in Plymouth no queue.

Nov 15, 2011
Empty shelves in the heart of Brussels this morning, with notice saying due to logistical reasons
Turns out that these empty shelves were due to a strike by warehouse workers, nothing to do with Labour shortages
The express trawled the whole of Europe to find an empty shelf so Brexiteers could rejoice but it turned out to be another lie.

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth

Turns out that these empty shelves were due to a strike by warehouse workers, nothing to do with Labour shortages
The express trawled the whole of Europe to find an empty shelf so Brexiteers could rejoice but it turned out to be another lie.
Get your facts right - this photo first appeared as a tweet early this morning from which the MSM picked it up.
You are definitely one of the saddo anti British remoaners that keeps getting it wrong.

Sep 6, 2006
Get your facts right - this photo first appeared as a tweet early this morning from which the MSM picked it up.
You are definitely one of the saddo anti British remoaners that keeps getting it wrong.
So if you are anti brexit then you must be a saddo, anti British etc. Says a lot about you and your inability to construct an intelligent argument.

Nov 15, 2011
The story is all over the internet. The express ran the story and Andrew Bridgen shouted hoorah. Then people from Brussels started posting that the only shortage was at a carrefour cos of a strike in a warehouse. It was an utter lie.

The desperate lengths that people will go to deny reality, not even to say there’s anything positive about brexit, but to search for somebody else somewhere may be suffering a tiny bit of what we are, and failing this to concoct a lie, is that what it’s turned us into?

May 16, 2016
Re. The empty shelves in Belgium, that was quickly explained to be due to a strike somewhere. Fair enough I'd have thought, but it is interesting to see the differing reaction to misleading pictures and misrepresentation of empty shelves in the EU to that of the same empty shelves in the UK. One is quickly dismissed, the other, despite also being revealed as wrong is still "evidence" of whatever point it is someone drearily keeps trying to make.

May 16, 2016
No problems at all with fuel up here around Aberdeen. One or two items seem scarce, e.g. bottled water, but I think we’ll survive.
On the subject of scarce items, I've not seen "my yoghurt" in Lidls on recent trips but I also feel I will survive. I did manage to source an alternative in Morrisons though - phew.

The irony is there are absolutely loads of the continental foods any dedicated Europhile would be assumed to regularly feast on. I eat a generally Mediterranean based diet and have yet to feel pangs of hunger from lack of olives, dried and cured meats, spicy chorizo, salads and olive oil. Even UHT milk for that genuine breakfast and coffee taste.

Nov 15, 2011
Re. The empty shelves in Belgium, that was quickly explained to be due to a strike somewhere. Fair enough I'd have thought, but it is interesting to see the differing reaction to misleading pictures and misrepresentation of empty shelves in the EU to that of the same empty shelves in the UK. One is quickly dismissed, the other, despite also being revealed as wrong is still "evidence" of whatever point it is someone drearily keeps trying to make.
Guiri you really can’t compare the 2 , it’s utterly ridiculous.

There are food shortages and empty shelves throughout the country. I have an ongoing joke with the lady in my local coop and we high 5 when once a week the eggs appear. Just because you can get your favourite youghurt it’s doesn’t mean that’s not true.

So far there are no empty shelves in Europe due to Labour shortages. The Express looked everywhere and eventually published a picture of some empty shelves in Brussels headlining Brexiteers rejoicing. (Whilst recognising reality I would never feel good about no food being available, I have to feed my kids.)

A Tory vote leave mp then rejoiced too but within minutes was told by people in Brussels that it was nothing to do with Labour shortages. The Express knew this from the get go but they print lies every day usually on page 1 and their readership will lap it up even if they know it’s a lie. It’s a cult and a new thing, I can’t remember in my lifetime when a “newspaper” will intentionally lie every single day knowing that their readership understands this but likes the lies and will defend them to the bitter end. To see this happening in Britain is really sad and in some ways really frightening.

May 16, 2016
Guiri you really can’t compare the 2 , it’s utterly ridiculous.

There are food shortages and empty shelves throughout the country. I have an ongoing joke with the lady in my local coop and we high 5 when once a week the eggs appear. Just because you can get your favourite youghurt it’s doesn’t mean that’s not true.

So far there are no empty shelves in Europe due to Labour shortages. The Express looked everywhere and eventually published a picture of some empty shelves in Brussels headlining Brexiteers rejoicing. (Whilst recognising reality I would never feel good about no food being available, I have to feed my kids.)

A Tory vote leave mp then rejoiced too but within minutes was told by people in Brussels that it was nothing to do with Labour shortages. The Express knew this from the get go but they print lies every day usually on page 1 and their readership will lap it up even if they know it’s a lie. It’s a cult and a new thing, I can’t remember in my lifetime when a “newspaper” will intentionally lie every single day knowing that their readership understands this but likes the lies and will defend them to the bitter end. To see this happening in Britain is really sad and in some ways really frightening.
Thanks for rapidly proving the point I was making.

Pasoti salutes you.

Reactions: GreenThing
Nov 15, 2011
When I first read 1984 I loved it but thought it a little far fetched, not anymore.

Meanwhile on the Post Brexit sunlit uplands news last night we have the Government extending the emergency EU HGV visas to 6 months as no one was interested in bailing the U.K. out and being kicked out on Christmas Eve, the Army on the streets delivering petrol on Monday and the government writing to thousands of paramedics and firefighters begging them to be HGV drivers. Not sure what happens if you’re in a car crash or your house is on fire.