• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

After Brexit

Nov 15, 2011
From the Independent today

"The government has asked thousands of Germans residing in the UK to drive lorries to assist with the HGV shortage, even if they have never driven one before."

I mean you have to laugh, one Dutch newspaper said watching the UK is like discovering a new series of Fawlty Towers

Reactions: Mike E
Nov 15, 2011

Meanwhile in Belgium which is sort of near Holland, they're desperately trying to recruit and increase training for drivers too. You have to twiddle your Poirot 'tash at times.
Yeah but Little Britain has empty shelves AND petrol shortages NOW, 26% of petrol stations still closed. None in Belgium. Come on that's world beating.

And of course Belgium has 450 million people to hire from without visas, my little grey cells tell me its much easier for them to take back control!

May 16, 2016
Yeah but Little Britain has empty shelves AND petrol shortages NOW, 26% of petrol stations still closed. None in Belgium. Come on that's world beating.

And of course Belgium has 450 million people to hire from without visas, my little grey cells tell me its much easier for them to take back control!
74% - the vast majority of petrol stations are still open then ?

They'll be in stiff competition for those 450 million (I assume you mean adults old and healthy enough to drive) people though....at least according to this article from the Sotsman recently

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
Pasoti Donor
Sep 30, 2003
This is what he does GG. Like you I voted to remain and would again, yet I find myself wanting to argue with his one sided view on everything. There’s no compromise, you’re wrong and he’s right.

Nov 15, 2011
Only a quarter of petrol stations are closed, hurrah sunlit uplands.

There are HGV driver shortages everywhere but only Little Britain has empty shelves and closed petrol stations. When you have the labour flexibilty under freedom of movement of people its not such a problem.

May 16, 2016
This is what he does GG. Like you I voted to remain and would again, yet I find myself wanting to argue with his one sided view on everything. There’s no compromise, you’re wrong and he’s right.
I appreciate some are only like that because they enjoy the sport, others just can't accept anybody who doesn't agree with and see as authoritative everything they say.

It's a perfect example of why "Leave" won the vote. Throughout the campaign the effort was always on how dreadful Brexit would be and never on highlighting the benefits of remaining. Basically Remain undersold itself and spent / spends too much time trying to belittle or treat as some sort of stupid racist, anyone who supports Brexit. Anyone with a British bone would know what affect that would have.

There's also the amusing image that I see of Alan Partridge living in a Motel, phoning his ex wife to have a jealous pop at her new partner by criticising his choice of car and saying something along the lines of "not my words.....that's from Top Gear Magazine". Visualise that when reading certain posts and it's less tiresome.

Reactions: Daz and GreenThing
Nov 15, 2011
You can speak to me directly Daz, as long as you don't call me names. Reporting objective reality isn't one sided its describing what's happening as a result of Brexit compared with EU countries. ie what this thread is about.

If I'm wrong on anything please detail the plus sides of Brexit that I'm missing, to counterbalance what I've described, I'm all ears. But compromise isn't saying things that are happening aren't happening. And just saying he's right and I'm wrong without any evidence is just meaningless to coin a phrase.

Nov 15, 2011
I appreciate some are only like that because they enjoy the sport, others just can't accept anybody who doesn't agree with and see as authoritative everything they say.

It's a perfect example of why "Leave" won the vote. Throughout the campaign the effort was always on how dreadful Brexit would be and never on highlighting the benefits of remaining. Basically Remain undersold itself and spent / spends too much time trying to belittle or treat as some sort of stupid racist, anyone who supports Brexit. Anyone with a British bone would know what affect that would have.

There's also the amusing image that I see of Alan Partridge living in a Motel, phoning his ex wife to have a jealous pop at her new partner by criticising his choice of car and saying something along the lines of "not my words.....that's from Top Gear Magazine". Visualise that when reading certain posts and it's less tiresome.
So to sum up that post, some people think they are correct when they give their point of view.

You are furious with people who told you how bad Brexit would be when they were 100% right on how bad Brexit would be. (I'm not sure what the British bone is about).

I'm not sure about the Partridge reference either though he was famously a Brexit voting little englander who Coogan superbly ridiculed.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
Pasoti Donor
Sep 30, 2003
I’ll address you when I’m talking to you MKF if that’s ok? On this occasion I wasn’t.

GG, the other thing he does is take a post, reword it to be different to what you actually say and try and make you look bad.

Example as above “so to sum up that post” and “you are furious”. There’s no need for anyone to sum it up with their own ‘objective reality’.

Edited as my first post came across as rude which wasn’t my intention.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2011
I’ll address you when I’m talking to you MKF (I’m allowed to call you that?) if that’s ok?

GG, the other thing he does is take a post, reword it to be different to what you actually say and try and make you look bad.

Example as above “so to sum up that post” and “you are furious”. There’s no need for anyone to sum it up with their own ‘objective reality’.
Thats fine Daz just not the name calling.

I didn't reword anything, and I don't need to make anyone look bad. I was just giving my understanding of Guiri's response to my post and why I disagreed with it. If I'm wrong I'm sure Guiri will tell me. Though I still don't understand the British bone bit?

But you're falling into your old ways Daz wanting to talk about me all the time and not the topic. As your own rules state "Debates are fine, but critique the opinion, not the person." What's your views so far on "After Brexit".

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
Pasoti Donor
Sep 30, 2003

I didn't reword anything, and I don't need to make anyone look bad. I was just giving my understanding of Guiri's response to my post and why I disagreed with it. If I'm wrong I'm sure Guiri will tell me. Though I still don't understand the British bone bit?

But you're falling into your old ways Daz wanting to talk about me all the time and not the topic. As your own rules state "Debates are fine, but critique the opinion, not the person." What's your views so far on "After Brexit".
As a mod, I will point out when you misrepresent other posters views. You have done it to me and many others on here, so just tread carefully when quoting our rules to us. As a normal poster I would do exactly the same.

My views on where we are after Brexit is that it’s nowhere near as bad as the picture you like to paint. As a remainer I’d rather we were still in just so that people like yourself couldn’t blame everything on Brexit. Just one of the things you mentioned earlier “"Wetherspoon reports record loss" BBC with hospitality job shortages and supply chain issues cited”.

Now forgive me for pointing this out, but there has been a pandemic which has stopped people from going to the pub. Of course they are going to lose money if they can’t open!! This is by far the biggest reason, not Brexit.

Its this one eyed version of what’s happening that Pees people like myself and other remainers off. I’ve noticed you mention ‘the looney left’ a couple of times on other threads. Take a look in the mirror mate. You’re doing far more damage than good.

May 16, 2016

What post of yours was I replying to ?

The British bone reference was the Brits tendency to do the exact opposite of what anyone tells us to do if they're portrayed in a certain way by those lecturing them. The classic sticking the V's up. Ignoring lockdown advice being a recent example.

Everything else comes across as a game of keepy uppy. Eventually nobody will want to play along.

Nov 15, 2011
As a mod, I will point out when you misrepresent other posters views. You have done it to me and many others on here, so just tread carefully when quoting our rules to us. As a normal poster I would do exactly the same.

My views on where we are after Brexit is that it’s nowhere near as bad as the picture you like to paint. As a remainer I’d rather we were still in just so that people like yourself couldn’t blame everything on Brexit. Just one of the things you mentioned earlier “"Wetherspoon reports record loss" BBC with hospitality job shortages and supply chain issues cited”.

Now forgive me for pointing this out, but there has been a pandemic which has stopped people from going to the pub. Of course they are going to lose money if they can’t open!! This is by far the biggest reason, not Brexit.

Its this one eyed version of what’s happening that Pees people like myself and other remainers off. I’ve noticed you mention ‘the looney left’ a couple of times on other threads. Take a look in the mirror mate. You’re doing far more damage than good.
As a mod I'm just asking you to abide by the rules you impose on the rest of us , particularly regarding name calling and talking about me rather than the subject under discussion.

Regarding Wetherspoons -

LBC news "Wetherspoons has been hit by beer shortages due to supply chain issues caused by Brexit - which was backed by its founder Tim Martin. The company said supplies of Carling and Coors beer have been hit, with some pubs not receiving deliveries. This has been blamed on lorry driver and factory staff shortages attributed to Brexit employment rules and the pandemic."

The Guardian "JD Wetherspoon said it was struggling to find staff in some parts of England as the pub chain counts the cost of the coronavirus pandemic, reporting a record loss of almost £200m."

And Daily Telegraph (!) The Brexit-backing boss of JD Wetherspoon has urged Boris Johnson to introduce a visa scheme for EU workers as British pubs and restaurants struggle to recruit staff".

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Only a quarter of petrol stations are closed, hurrah sunlit uplands.

There are HGV driver shortages everywhere but only Little Britain has empty shelves and closed petrol stations. When you have the labour flexibilty under freedom of movement of people its not such a problem.
It's certainly better than it was a few days ago. But here's a dilemma for you MKF, where will you get your beef steaks from, now that there is a butcher shortage? One week's news is next week's chip shop wrap. ;-)