• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

After Brexit

Nov 15, 2011
The point being that Brexit happened , lead by Farage saying he wouldn’t like to live next door to a Romanian. And Romanians no longer have an automatic right to live here which isn’t being disingenuous it’s stating the bleeding obvious.

But I’ll tell you about hijacking, it’s Farage and the likes celebrating her success with “A star is born” when they spent years whipping up hatred against Romanians.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
Pasoti Donor
Sep 30, 2003
The point being that Brexit happened , lead by Farage saying he wouldn’t like to live next door to a Romanian. And Romanians no longer have an automatic right to live here which isn’t being disingenuous it’s stating the bleeding obvious.

But I’ll tell you about hijacking, it’s Farage and the likes celebrating her success with “A star is born” when they spent years whipping up hatred against Romanians.
You let him live your head rent free. Ignore him! I have friends who are both remainers and leavers, none of them have ever had any hatred towards Romanians. He only has a platform because you give it to him.

Nov 15, 2011
Its not just him though he was the pied piper. Its the Sun The Mail The Express the Telegraph who demonised East Europeans and Romanians in particular, most of whom are hard working decent people including my clients. The small criminal element here were always defined by them being Romanian not that they were criminals.

Anyway I see the Government are now relenting on HGV drivers and going to ask those foreigners who were coming over ere taking our jobs to come back ere and take our jobs, on a very short term basis only. My God this arrogant exceptionalism, I just wonder how many drivers that are in demand all over Europe, can travel freely across 32 countries without any paperwork or any visas are going to apply to a country that has chased them away. Don't hold your breath.

Reactions: Ave IT and Mike E
Jan 20, 2004
You let him live your head rent free. Ignore him! I have friends who are both remainers and leavers, none of them have ever had any hatred towards Romanians. He only has a platform because you give it to him.
Sorry Daz, Farage is not alone, my Daily Mail breathing father in law claimed during the referendum 'debates' that " at least we won't have those Romanians over here raping our women". He has never met any but claimed it's all there in the papers.

For years that disgusting rag along with The Express, The Sun and Telegraph have demonised everything European and planted these unfounded myths in the minds of gullible people. All they need do is throw in the words "it is alleged that" in front of anything they want to brain wash their readers and they can get away with whipping up the hatred that helps sell their dangerous sensationalist cr*p.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Long ago during the heated Brexit debates I remember posting a link to a very well written article by an economist predicting the effects. It stuck in my mind unlike thousands of others because of a great analogy he used and because the writer was also heavily critical of many Remainers predicting a post-Brexit cliff edge - even though he was in the Remain camp.

The analogy was of a large bouncy castle. Brexit would be like someone casually walking around it and repeatedly plunging a pen-knife into the base. At first the effect would be barely noticed - no sudden collapse - but after a while the thing would start to sag, those inside would begin to notice the lack of bounce and eventually the whole thing would look a bit sad and lop-sided.

I think we're all seeing the effects now of the various stabs into the fabric of UK-ltd. beginning to accumulate.... A lack of lorry drivers as 20k+ from the EU have gone home, ditto the lack of care workers, hospitality workers, farm workers and NHS staff...then there's the extra cost & red tape and delays at the borders, exports to the EU are sharply down, import costs and shortages of certain items making themselves felt...... businesses either moving or outsourcing to the EU as costs and sheer pfaff of operating in the UK become too much.

It's not one sector - it's multiple issues in multiple areas. I accept that few are saying "this is all due to bloody Brexit" - they all cite various factors not least of course the pandemic. But in every case Brexit is a significant contributing factor. It is a hole that will remain. Many holes.

Armageddon it ain't ..... but Brexit is a collection of stupid self inflicted wounds that makes us poorer, duller and a sadder. Global Britain my a'rse.

Reactions: Mike E

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton

Another first on the sunlit uplands

Glow in the dark tomatoes.

How long before blinky the three-eyed fish (TM The Simpsons)

So all the Project Fear stuff is actually becoming Project Here ☣😱
I've always been staunchly anti-Brexit, and I certainly agree with the last line but, as the article points out, GE is not the same as GM.

Gene-edited (GE) crops have much simpler genetic alternations than so-called genetically modified (GM) ones. GM crops often involve the addition of extra genes, sometimes from a completely different species; and in some instances the insertion of DNA from animals.
Gene-edited crops, by contrast, often just have genes snipped out of them, producing new varieties within months that could also have been produced by traditional cross-breeding but over a period of several years.
GE has happened for millennia, often unwittingly, and aeons before Gregor Mendel came along; and if GE just speeds up processes that farmers and breeders would normally take years or decades to achieve, then I don't really see some awful Frankenstein scenario developing.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
What happened to all that extra money we could give the NHS. Instead that’s to be funded by increasing NI

As easy as it is to use, I think it's time to stop using that red bus slogan as a weapon. The pro-Brexit politicians shrugged that off the day the referendum result was known (I still remember Farage that morning saying that it was wrong to promise that) and are impervious to it being used against them, and those Brexiters who fell for it moved onto other ground to defend the reason why they voted they did.

Everyone knows it was a lie. It's just nobody admits to being taken in by it anymore.

Jan 20, 2004
I've always been staunchly anti-Brexit, and I certainly agree with the last line but, as the article points out, GE is not the same as GM.

GE has happened for millennia, often unwittingly, and aeons before Gregor Mendel came along; and if GE just speeds up processes that farmers and breeders would normally take years or decades to achieve, then I don't really see some awful Frankenstein scenario developing.

The EU are also looking to relax the rules.

Oct 9, 2003
Aberdeen
As easy as it is to use, I think it's time to stop using that red bus slogan as a weapon. The pro-Brexit politicians shrugged that off the day the referendum result was known (I still remember Farage that morning saying that it was wrong to promise that) and are impervious to it being used against them, and those Brexiters who fell for it moved onto other ground to defend the reason why they voted they did.

Everyone knows it was a lie. It's just nobody admits to being taken in by it anymore.

As I’ve said many times Quinny, the slogan never actually said that the £350m would go to the NHS.

Regardless of one’s position on Brexit, it was genius marketing - simply allowing the reader to conflate. People love to see what they want to see and it was exploited to the max with that bus.

Reactions: GreenThing
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
As I’ve said many times Quinny, the slogan never actually said that the £350m would go to the NHS.

Regardless of one’s position on Brexit, it was genius marketing - simply allowing the reader to conflate. People love to see what they want to see and it was exploited to the max with that bus.

Oh, I know that Frank (and I'm sure you know I know :D) And I am as guilty as the next "remoaner" when it comes to using that battle bus slogan in arguments in the years since the referendum. My only point - as a remainer - is that it's kind of pointless to use it anymore as it doesn't really embarrass leading Brexiters like it may have done once (although that doesn't apply to Boris as he seems impervious to any attempt to embarrass him).

Reactions: Frank Butcher
Nov 15, 2011
So how's post Brexit going?

Here's some stuff from the last 24 hours :

"Brexit balance sheet for fishing shows £300 million plus losses" The Times (The fishing industry was Vote Leave's Brexit barometer)

"Wetherspoon reports record loss" BBC with hospitality job shortages and supply chain issues cited

"Abattoir labour shortages sees Yorkshire farmer kill piglets" BBC

"Visas for foreign butchers as industry warns of Christmas shortages" The Times

Businesses in many sectors begging for emergency EU visas including Iceland and Next. The only ones being offered so far are 5,000 HGV drivers on 3 month visas going home on Christmas Eve. Good luck with that.

On a lighter note Farage furiously tweeted that he couldn't get petrol on 7 of his local stations, seemingly unaware that he more than anyone else had caused this. He once said that if Brexit didn't work he'd leave the country, only problem being that none of us now have the freedom to live in our 32 closest neighbours.

And until they acknowledge the problem, which they won't, things will get worse and worse.

Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
So how's post Brexit going?

Here's some stuff from the last 24 hours :

"Brexit balance sheet for fishing shows £300 million plus losses" The Times (The fishing industry was Vote Leave's Brexit barometer)

"Wetherspoon reports record loss" BBC with hospitality job shortages and supply chain issues cited

"Abattoir labour shortages sees Yorkshire farmer kill piglets" BBC

"Visas for foreign butchers as industry warns of Christmas shortages" The Times

Businesses in many sectors begging for emergency EU visas including Iceland and Next. The only ones being offered so far are 5,000 HGV drivers on 3 month visas going home on Christmas Eve. Good luck with that.

On a lighter note Farage furiously tweeted that he couldn't get petrol on 7 of his local stations, seemingly unaware that he more than anyone else had caused this. He once said that if Brexit didn't work he'd leave the country, only problem being that none of us now have the freedom to live in our 32 closest neighbours.

And until they acknowledge the problem, which they won't, things will get worse and worse.
That Farage statement about leaving the country is eyewateringly ironic and hypocritical.
The architect of Brexit, who built his crusade on scare stories about immigrants and refugees and who stands on cliffs pointing and snarling at them as they arrive on British shores to seek better circumstances than existed in their homeland....then he says he'll do exactly the chuffing same if the going gets tough in Britain.
Well Nigel, I've got a dinghy you're welcome to....I just can't promise I haven't introduced it to a few drawing pins first

Nov 15, 2011
I once told Farage in a debate that after 2 years of Brexit he'd be the one being chased out the country, he laughed.

Even as I typed the last post Sky News were reporting "Financial sector becomes latest to ask for access for foreign workers to be eased" following a report by EY accountants and the City of London Corporation.

And not only have we not got Brexit done on this side of the channel - postponed again until January - but Financial Services still have financial equivalence with the EU - until next year. Then , unless the EU grant equivalence, which won't happen unless the UK reciprocates in other areas, no financial institution be it British, Chinese or American, can trade in Financial Services with Eu countries from the City of London.