• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

After Brexit

Nov 15, 2011
Just back from Tesco, no diesel long queues and the other local petrol station closed .

On the local Facebook page (I live in a true blue area) we have :

1) the petrol station down the road is open so everyone else is lying
2) it’s Eu Brexit revenge- even though we have enough fuel it’s just that it can’t be delivered
3) it’s people being greedy in wanting to make sure they don’t want to run out of petrol

Take your pick on Reality Denial Day

• Haha
Reactions: Emu and Daz

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Just back from Tesco, no diesel long queues and the other local petrol station closed .

On the local Facebook page (I live in a true blue area) we have :

1) the petrol station down the road is open so everyone else is lying
2) it’s Eu Brexit revenge- even though we have enough fuel it’s just that it can’t be delivered
3) it’s people being greedy in wanting to make sure they don’t want to run out of petrol

Take your pick on Reality Denial Day
I didn't vote for Brexit, and I have a property abroad which is now slightly trickier to deal with the new rules.

However, I think you are using Brexit as a convenient scapegoat here!

Reactions: GreenThing
Nov 15, 2011
I didn't vote for Brexit, and I have a property abroad which is now slightly trickier to deal with the new rules.

However, I think you are using Brexit as a convenient scapegoat here!
So why do you think there are no fuel shortages in Europe and the industry are pleading with the Government to allow Eu HGV drivers to be allowed to have visas to work in the UK? Are the Road Haulage Association and supermarkets and fuel providers lying to make Brexit a convenient scapegoat?

Nov 15, 2011
I would add that I'm not sure that allowing EU HGV drivers visas will solve the problem even with higher wages. Applying for a visa is very different from coming and going as you please and many potential drivers will be put off by the red tape and paperwork they would have to deal with at the borders compared to driving freely around Europe.

I really don't know what the solution is, though I do know that until the Government recognizes the problem and what caused it things will get worse.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Schuey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Foodbank Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
EU drivers who cannot work here any more accounts for only 20% of the driver shortfall. Maybe the haulage companies should have trained replacement drivers, after all, they had 4 years to prepare.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
Pasoti Donor
Sep 30, 2003
IR35 is also a reason given for why there is a shortage of drivers.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Schuey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Foodbank Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
IR35 is also a reason given for why there is a shortage of drivers.
So that’s another employment dodge that the hauliers have been using then.

Nov 15, 2011
EU drivers who cannot work here any more accounts for only 20% of the driver shortfall. Maybe the haulage companies should have trained replacement drivers, after all, they had 4 years to prepare.
From where? British people don't want to do it. Alone, away from home, terrible facilities. You can put up the wages even further which may help but you'll pay for it in the shops / pumps as we're seeing now. The wages / price spiral will also result in interest rate rises and mortgages going up.

My brother works for a French multinational and says another problem is EU drivers don't want to come here at all, not to live, but even just to deliver. They're unused to the checks delays and paperwork, and businesses have to pay way over the odds to get them to come here. (Its ok coming to the UK cos we haven't got Brexit done yet but the return journey where they usually have a load is a nightmare.)

Remember these problems are going nowhere, the only long term solution if we want to have the same standards of living we previously enjoyed is to rejoin the single market either by negotiation or via EFTA, although this Government will never do this, so I'm afraid for the next 2 years at least, we're stuffed.

Reactions: Mike Charlick

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Schuey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Foodbank Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
British people do want to do it, 40,000 people had their HGV tests cancelled because of covid. The reason more people don’t do it is because the haulage firms get away with paying low wages to Eastern European’s who will work for sod all or make you a self employed driver.

Reactions: Emu
Nov 15, 2011
British people do want to do it, 40,000 people had their HGV tests cancelled because of covid. The reason more people don’t do it is because the haulage firms get away with paying low wages to Eastern European’s who will work for sod all or make you a self employed driver.
Well they can't hire East Europeans anymore, and IR35 has stopped the self employment route. Tesco said that even with testing recommencing it won't solve the problem at least in the short term, so let's see what happens. But remember if wages go up you pay for it.

And I note on social media that the same people calling for higher wages for lorry drivers now voted Tory knowing they wouldn't increase nurses pay.

May 8, 2011
Well we haven’t taken back control of our borders yet, by the number of boat people arriving and the unsolvable problem of our only land border with the EU. A recurring theme in British history, the Irish!

Nov 15, 2011
I think the “boat people “ are the least of our problems. Young fit people desperate to work and pay tax, to fill the hundreds of thousands of vacancies in care homes, hospitality and stop fruit and vegetables rotting in the fields. Come on down. They may even drive a lorry or be good at tennis!

And I see the N Irish are gradually solving the problem of the border in the Irish Sea that Johnson said would only happen over his dead body by trading directly with the Eu in Ireland rather than GB. A United Ireland moves closer every day.

Meanwhile Lord Frost is furious about the terrible unworkable NI protocol which isn’t fit for purpose. This by the way is part of the fantastic oven ready deal that with the support of the DUP Johnson won an election on. Well just wait until Frosty finds out who negotiated and agreed the Protocol, he’s going to be furious with himself.

Reactions: Mike Charlick

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
Pasoti Donor
Sep 30, 2003
The comment about being good at tennis makes me laugh. Used by remainers to say Brexit was a bad thing and that people that voted for it are all racist because “they don’t want foreigners ‘ere”. (I say this is a remainer btw)

Emma Radacanu is a great example of our multi cultural country which it will continue to be for centuries to come. Brexit will not stop that and her success being hijacked by people saying it will is disingenuous at very best.