• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

After Brexit

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
I suspect there will be the usual ‘I hate my country‘ BS on here from one or two - thankfully the Ignore option is working for me. It’s also almost impossible to make this comparison by not conflating economic impacts of a pandemic. In many cases it will be difficult to know the root causes - more likely a combination (it is particularly unhelpful though to roll tax rises etc. into the Brexit argument IMO).

So taking an objective view. There are two major impacts I see - there is definitely a skills shortage in some areas - and not exclusively low paid jobs. But is this Brexit or is it also companies/orgs dialling back during the pandemic and finding it hard to recover? As I say probably a combo. Secondly, there are shortages of certain items. I have seen gaps on shelves but not empty shelves as some would claim. This is in part due to a knock on shortage of lorry drivers but also likely supplier related as well.

Conversely, I know many people who have taken the opportunity to look to buy more locally. If sustained that would have a positive effect on UK producers (though offset by impacts on exports for example). Any ‘buy local’ approach is also long term good for the environment of course.

In truth though it would be a stretch to say there are clear benefits at this early stage.

Speaking from purely personal experience - and others will have their own - Brexit may as well not have happened. I had one delayed shipment from the EU in the early days and that’s about it. I’m talking about my place as a consumer here. As I say others may see differently but I have never had a relation, friend or neighbour say ‘Ever since that bl@@dy Brexit ….’. Everyone I know seems unaffected, or at least unbothered (as consumers I hasten to reiterate).

Would be interested to hear from Ave_IT and Greenrod on this though. From a business perspective I recall the former was fearful in terms of supplies and trade, while the latter was more optmistic about new opportunities. Would be interesting to know if those views have changed at all.
Just picked up on my name, Frank.
Although retired I am still in touch with business leaders in the capital machinery manufacturing business.
Exports into Europe of spare parts and new machinery is steady - it hasn’t made too much of a difference as CE self certification in accordance with EU directives and compliance is automatic anyway.
Export and customs documentation is already carried out on global exports by these companies.
Although EU business is steady, the global order book is booming.
Having said that it very much depends on the type of business, innovation, demand and competitiveness.
If anything Covid has had the biggest effect on business with design and sales engineers working from home and shop floor manufacturing and assembly off and on depending on lockdown requirements.
What we desperately need is more engineering apprentices and graduate engineers in the system.

Reactions: Frank Butcher
Sep 6, 2006
I suspect there will be the usual ‘I hate my country‘ BS on here from one or two - thankfully the Ignore option is working for me. It’s also almost impossible to make this comparison by not conflating economic impacts of a pandemic. In many cases it will be difficult to know the root causes - more likely a combination (it is particularly unhelpful though to roll tax rises etc. into the Brexit argument IMO).

So taking an objective view. There are two major impacts I see - there is definitely a skills shortage in some areas - and not exclusively low paid jobs. But is this Brexit or is it also companies/orgs dialling back during the pandemic and finding it hard to recover? As I say probably a combo. Secondly, there are shortages of certain items. I have seen gaps on shelves but not empty shelves as some would claim. This is in part due to a knock on shortage of lorry drivers but also likely supplier related as well.

Conversely, I know many people who have taken the opportunity to look to buy more locally. If sustained that would have a positive effect on UK producers (though offset by impacts on exports for example). Any ‘buy local’ approach is also long term good for the environment of course.

In truth though it would be a stretch to say there are clear benefits at this early stage.

Speaking from purely personal experience - and others will have their own - Brexit may as well not have happened. I had one delayed shipment from the EU in the early days and that’s about it. I’m talking about my place as a consumer here. As I say others may see differently but I have never had a relation, friend or neighbour say ‘Ever since that bl@@dy Brexit ….’. Everyone I know seems unaffected, or at least unbothered (as consumers I hasten to reiterate).

Would be interested to hear from Ave_IT and Greenrod on this though. From a business perspective I recall the former was fearful in terms of supplies and trade, while the latter was more optmistic about new opportunities. Would be interesting to know if those views have changed at all.
Jeez. Expected better from you. We only left several months ago and you say it had no impact. That is a decision that will affect the country for years/decades and you claim everyone is 'unbothered'.

Frank Butcher

Foodbank Donor
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
No. You’re misrepresenting what I wrote BG, so let me reiterate.

I said ‘everyone I know‘ is unbothered which is quite different to what you quote. In other words nobody I know has ever blamed Brexit for something, and being very honest - other than some loose association with the vaccination programme - no-one has lauded it either.

I also chose my words very carefully and specifically of the fact it personally had had a trivial impact so far, i.e. on me personally. This is different to your use of the term ‘no impact’ in the round.

I was also clear that others are likely to have different perspectives and invited comment from others. PS - grateful to Greenrod for responding.

Reactions: Daz

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
Pasoti Donor
Sep 30, 2003
No. You’re misrepresenting what I wrote BG, so let me reiterate.

I said ‘everyone I know‘ is unbothered which is quite different to what you quote. In other words nobody I know has ever blamed Brexit for something, and being very honest - other than some loose association with the vaccination programme - no-one has lauded it either.

I also chose my words very carefully and specifically of the fact it personally had had a trivial impact so far, i.e. on me personally. This is different to your use of the term ‘no impact’ in the round.

I was also clear that others are likely to have different perspectives and invited comment from others. PS - grateful to Greenrod for responding.
Two separate threads where the same thing was posted at the same time.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
The gas problem caused by brexit, eh? Europe paying slightly more than us. The problem is sown to our infrastructure and inability to store gas for times of shortage, not brexit.

Reactions: Tugboat
Nov 15, 2011
Every paper today headlining petrol station closures cos of HGV driver shortages. Government claims it’s nothing to do with brexit, industry bosses including Iceland and Tesco bosses and Rod Mckenzie head of Road Haulage Association say otherwise. Who to believe? There’s no empty shelves or petrol stations shut in Europe.

The frightening thing is that until they acknowledge the problem it’ll get worse and worse day by day, but to admit Brexit was built on a lie, well they’re not ready for that.

Looking back it’s like half the country was put under a sunlit uplands spell. You were told you could leave the biggest free trading bloc in the world on your doorstep where you buy and sell half your stuff and things would get better. It’s like Ryan Lowe telling Argyle fans if we chop off Hardie’s left leg he’ll score more goals if we believe enough, and 52% of fans said yaaay cut it off.

Nov 15, 2011
The gas problem caused by brexit, eh? Europe paying slightly more than us. The problem is sown to our infrastructure and inability to store gas for times of shortage, not brexit.
No one said the rise in global gas prices had anything to do with brexit, I in fact said the opposite that it had nothing to do with brexit !!! Go back and read jeez .

Now go and do some research about how much U.K. consumers pay kwh compared to Eu countries and report back.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Every paper today headlining petrol station closures cos of HGV driver shortages. Government claims it’s nothing to do with brexit, industry bosses including Iceland and Tesco bosses and Rod Mckenzie head of Road Haulage Association say otherwise. Who to believe? There’s no empty shelves or petrol stations shut in Europe.

The frightening thing is that until they acknowledge the problem it’ll get worse and worse day by day, but to admit Brexit was built on a lie, well they’re not ready for that.

Looking back it’s like half the country was put under a sunlit uplands spell. You were told you could leave the biggest free trading bloc in the world on your doorstep where you buy and sell half your stuff and things would get better. It’s like Ryan Lowe telling Argyle fans if we chop off Hardie’s left leg he’ll score more goals if we believe enough, and 52% of fans said yaaay cut it off.
According to reports in the bbc, we’re 100k drivers short. 20k due to eu drivers not allowed, 40k due to cancelled driving tests because of brexit leaving a further 40k for other reasons. The 20k caused by brexit alone would not have made a noticeable difference to the supply chain.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
No one said the rise in global gas prices had anything to do with brexit, I in fact said the opposite that it had nothing to do with brexit !!! Go back and read jeez .

Now go and do some research about how much U.K. consumers pay kwh compared to Eu countries and report back.
Here we go again. In your first post you said “sky rocketing energy and food prices”. You say something then claim you didn’t. Boring.

Reactions: PL2 3DQ and Daz
Nov 15, 2011
Here we go again. In your first post you said “sky rocketing energy and food prices”. You say something then claim you didn’t. Boring.
Jeez mate this really isn’t difficult. The global rise in gas prices is nothing to do with brexit as I said in my first post. However again as I said because we are no longer in there EU internal energy market we have no means to absorb the shock of supply issues so energy prices to the consumer have gone up 40% here but not in the EU.

Regarding HGV drivers and as the bosses of Tesco and Iceland said on Question Time last night, granting skilled-visa status to eu drivers would fix the immediate crisis and with increased wages on the table attract enough to deal with the growing emergency. The other factors are long term and Schapps gave no credible answer how that can be fixed. British people don’t want to do it.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
You said that energy prices have were rocketing. I haven’t seen any huge rises since brexit, but they will now because of the global situation that’s also hitting the eu. You also mention all the companies in it to make a quick buck, but the utilities were privatised in the 80’s, long before brexit.