• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

After Brexit

Nov 15, 2011
Yes I really didn't know but Guiri's point was about peacekeeping in EU countries resulting in the formation of extra countries which is not the case in Cyprus. So I don't really see the relevance to Cyprus in the After Brexit discussion as nothing has substantively changed there for 50 years. It's a bit like N Ireland, countries split with deep historical grievances that go way beyond EU membership.

Nov 15, 2011

From the Government's sponsored independent Office of Budget Responsibility, on which it based it's Budget figures :

The impact of Brexit on the UK economy will be worse than that caused by the pandemic, according to the chairman of the UK’s fiscal watchdog.

Richard Hughes said that the Office of Budget Responsibility (OBR) had assumed that leaving the EU would “reduce our GDP in the long term by around 4%,” adding in comments to the BBC: “We think the effect of the pandemic will reduce that. (GDP) production by 2% more “. Gross domestic product, or GDP, is a measure of the size of the economy.

“In the long term, it is the case that Brexit has a greater impact than the pandemic,” Hughes told the broadcaster, hours after the OBR responded to Rishi Sunak’s latest budget saying he expected inflation to hit 4% and warned that it could affect “the highest rate seen in the United Kingdom in three decades”.

So would the Budget help? Well if you are an unpaid carer on Universal Credit, you've just lost £20 per week, facing 4-5% inflation, huge rises in energy costs and Council Tax, what do the years ahead look like for you? If you are working you are paying higher taxes than since the 1950s. Levelling up?

And Sunak is boasting that IF everything goes to plan education spending per pupil may get back to 2010 levels, ie when the Tories came into power. But but, the Tories had to address the debt left by Labour! Except for they more than doubled it (pre covid) increasing the national debt by more than every Labour Government combined. And still the client journalists cheer Sunak on this morning.

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
This is the biggest failure of journalism to me.

Journalists don't seem to really analyse things - the majority just regurgitate press releases.

What's the point of journalism if not to look behind the curtain and present the truth.

I can't ever remember the level of unquestioned truth twisting we see now?

FactcheckUK etc - that was the pre-election website and not journos, but a shocking example none the less.

😔