• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

After Brexit

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Just a layman, but aren't a lot of the EU (unelected bureaucrats) too ?

MEPs are elected by us. Members of the European Commission (one per country) are nominated by each member state, and they are voted upon my MEPs. MEPs also vote to approve who will be President of the Commission.

At no point was Lord Frost voted upon, either by the electorate or by MPs in the Commons. He just got the nod from Boris.

Feb 22, 2008
Mainly Saltash
MEPs are elected by us. Members of the European Commission (one per country) are nominated by each member state, and they are voted upon my MEPs. MEPs also vote to approve who will be President of the Commission.

At no point was Lord Frost voted upon, either by the electorate or by MPs in the Commons. He just got the nod from Boris.
So how do they get rid of VDL then?

Nov 15, 2011
And she doesn’t pass the laws, that’s down to the elected meps. Unlike in the U.K. where Johnson’s unelected chums pass our laws.

May 16, 2016
I've done some checking. Tried to cover all levels to match up to the way this thread has gone. One is the make up of the House of Lords from a Parliament related site.

The other from CBBC.

Seems it's just not the Tories in the Lords. In a minority almost. I got the impression there was only about 5 of the PMs mates, all of various levels of nefariousness. I've so much to learn about all this Brexit stuff.

Nov 15, 2011
No idea what point you think you are making guiri other than confirming that unelected lords including Johnson’s chums with no relevant qualifications other than providing him with sumptuous villas and bunga bunga sex parties, pass our laws.

May 16, 2016
Here’s a post Brexit likely consequence which to my mind becomes a little stronger every day. In the past 100 years 23 new countries have been created in greater Europe, most in the past 50 years. This seems to me a natural transition, as people have become more confident with the democratic process and opt for local control and accountability, whilst enjoying the economic assurance of the EU, EFTA etc.

Why should the UK be any different? The union is, in historic terms, fairly recent, so pre-Brexit there was already a ground swell in Scotland for separation, and in Ulster to be reunited with Ireland. Being EU members probably curbed that enthusiasm, as the majority in Ulster and Scotland could see the clear benefits of membership, and for Scotland separation might have jeopardised this.

But now, post Brexit, put yourself in the majority shoes of a non-Protestant remainer Ulsterman, or a non-Tory remainer Scot. Why would you not want independence? Even as a non-Tory Scottish leaver, faced with the prospect of potentially 6 more years being controlled by a government for which you have only contempt, I think you’d probably vote for independence. Polling in Ulster has likewise shown that younger voters, including a majority of young Protestants, now favour union with Ireland. All presumably triggered by Brexit.

To my mind the break-up of the UK is inevitable.
Let's hope the consequence of the formation of these extra countries doesn't follow the route of some of the previous ones. I've got medals for the small parts I've played in peacekeeping in what are now parts of the EU.

Edited to ward off pedants.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2011
Which parts of the EU have ever required peacekeeping? Kosovo isn’t in the EU and Croatia Serbia etc have never required peacekeeping since joining. I can only think of N Ireland but that isn’t a new formed extra country.

Perhaps the greatest achievement of the EU is maintaining peace in its borders. Apologies if I’ve missed something.

Nov 15, 2011
So if you want peace, join the Eu seems to be the conclusion. No peacekeeping required there. A powerful point.

As for the progressive countries wanting to join the Eu, I think the feeling is probably mutual about not wanting to visit the darker spaces in your mind.

signalspast

50/50 Sponsor
T.O Support
Aug 17, 2005
So if you want peace, join the Eu seems to be the conclusion. No peacekeeping required there. A powerful point.

As for the progressive countries wanting to join the Eu, I think the feeling is probably mutual about not wanting to visit the darker spaces in your mind.
Cyprus although in 1974 when i was there in there war they wasn't in the eu

Nov 15, 2011
The Greek and Turkish Cypriots have been at each others throats forever, and the country effectively partitioned for nearly 50 years. Nothing has changed or will change there in the foreseeable future. Not sure what that has got to do with the EU or formation of countries in greater Europe.

signalspast

50/50 Sponsor
T.O Support
Aug 17, 2005
The Greek and Turkish Cypriots have been at each others throats forever, and the country effectively partitioned for nearly 50 years. Nothing has changed or will change there in the foreseeable future. Not sure what that has got to do with the EU or formation of countries in greater Europe.
Your question was which parts of the eu have ever needed peacekeeping, well ya reply confirmed it.