Advertising on the Grandstand | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Advertising on the Grandstand

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Same meat different gravy Jon. :greensmile:

The answer is the same, it's artificially low, and won't be the view when our wonderful old girl has been returned and will be shown off at her very best.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Quintrell_Green":835gycy4 said:
Herts_Green":835gycy4 said:
Even though the Grandstand is in a sorry state at this point in time, it's nice to see some of the original Leitch features on the front of the stand now that the advertising hoardings (including the old Pasoti one) have been removed. It would look so much better if, once work is complete on that faƧade (or whatever the correct term for it is) it is spruced up a bit and left advertisement free. I would much rather that the name of the Grandstand was sponsored than put more hoardings there.

I made the same point about the positioning of advertising hoarding about 5 months ago. The mix in presentation of each different advertising, will quickly remove the slickness of the aesthetic appeal of the new stand, I would rather they were kept at fence level or used as part of those moving digital signs that were last brought in for the Liverpool Cup replay at Home Park.

Perhaps we can install video screens/advertising? That seems to be the standard now, even below the Premier League.

Jon will probably correct me, but I would assume all new build stadiums and stands now have electronic advertising boards as standard.

Biggs":2uasgjbp said:
Perhaps we can install video screens/advertising? That seems to be the standard now, even below the Premier League.

Jon will probably correct me, but I would assume all new build stadiums and stands now have electronic advertising boards as standard.

What do we want they bleddy contraptions fer? They may be alright up the line, but we don't need nuthin like that down ere. Spend it on players, thats the only way to jenerate income

Princerock

ā™£ļø PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
One electronic advertising board can show many adverts.

One static hoarding shows only one advert and of course one payment.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Bermudian Green":2b0a1km3 said:
Biggs":2b0a1km3 said:

What do we want they bleddy contraptions fer? They may be alright up the line, but we don't need nuthin like that down ere. Spend it on players, thats the only way to jenerate income
Why bring ā€˜up the lineā€™ into the discussion?
All he wants to do is sack the manager.

demportdave

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Whilst I am very grateful to the Hallets, I have to say that I am disappointed with way the Grandstand development is being carried out and how it will look when complete.

Firstly, itā€™s very disappointing that with the structure being gutted right back to the basic framework, why are we not taking the opportunity to actually complete the original structure as it was envisaged back in 1952.

Stands that donā€™t quite go from end to end or corner to corner always look a bit half-assed, as is the case at Exeter. How much more would it have cost to add the extra steelwork and seats to cover the small area above the open stairway at the Barn Park end, as was done at the Devonport End many years ago? As well as improving the appearance of the Grandstand, it would have added another 200-300 seats to the capacity.

As well as looking unfinished for evermore, it will not permit floodlighting to be fixed all down that side of the ground and we will have to keep the hideous gantry on the Barn Park roof.

Secondly, it appears to be accepted that the front of the Grandstand will be covered with advertising; I really hope this wrong.

If the frontage is to be covered it begs the question, what was the point in keeping this supposed gem of footballing architecture if we are then going to bury it behind an eclectic mix of gaudy colours and graphics which constitutes advertising today. Iā€™d rather we got Barr back to build a new stand to match the horseshoe.

In answer to someone who questioned why the pillars were being retained, Ian Newell stated that the stand would lose its ā€œLeitch-nessā€ if they were removed. He was right, but that is even more so the case if you clad the iconic steel frontage with adverts instead of painting it in the Clubā€™s colours, as per Goodison Park and Ibrox. We should showcase its history and tradition, not hide it away.

Everton and Rangers would never do this so why would Argyle do it, it is absolute sacrilege.

With Everton looking to relocate, we could have the distinction of being the only club in the Football League with an Archibald Leitch designed Grandstand and what are we planning to do, hide it away so that visiting fans will glance at it and think itā€™s just an old stand with a new roof.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Lots of that is just incorrect, though.

The stand is being built so that itā€™s very easy to ā€˜completeā€™ it with extra funds and have a full length roof and corners. So itā€™s not ā€˜evermoreā€™. If this building work prevented that extra development youā€™d have a point, but it does the opposite.

If you look at Stage 2 as the actual plan, and Stage 1 as everything we can afford within that final plan right now, then it makes way more sense.

The advertising stuff is pure and utter conjecture from what youā€™ve read on here. There has been no communication from the club about advertising yet.

up the line

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
demportdave":8qtw8mxa said:
Whilst I am very grateful to the Hallets, I have to say that I am disappointed with way the Grandstand development is being carried out and how it will look when complete.

Firstly, itā€™s very disappointing that with the structure being gutted right back to the basic framework, why are we not taking the opportunity to actually complete the original structure as it was envisaged back in 1952.

Stands that donā€™t quite go from end to end or corner to corner always look a bit half-assed, as is the case at Exeter. How much more would it have cost to add the extra steelwork and seats to cover the small area above the open stairway at the Barn Park end, as was done at the Devonport End many years ago? As well as improving the appearance of the Grandstand, it would have added another 200-300 seats to the capacity.

As well as looking unfinished for evermore, it will not permit floodlighting to be fixed all down that side of the ground and we will have to keep the hideous gantry on the Barn Park roof.

Secondly, it appears to be accepted that the front of the Grandstand will be covered with advertising; I really hope this wrong.

If the frontage is to be covered it begs the question, what was the point in keeping this supposed gem of footballing architecture if we are then going to bury it behind an eclectic mix of gaudy colours and graphics which constitutes advertising today. Iā€™d rather we got Barr back to build a new stand to match the horseshoe.

In answer to someone who questioned why the pillars were being retained, Ian Newell stated that the stand would lose its ā€œLeitch-nessā€ if they were removed. He was right, but that is even more so the case if you clad the iconic steel frontage with adverts instead of painting it in the Clubā€™s colours, as per Goodison Park and Ibrox. We should showcase its history and tradition, not hide it away.

Everton and Rangers would never do this so why would Argyle do it, it is absolute sacrilege.

With Everton looking to relocate, we could have the distinction of being the only club in the Football League with an Archibald Leitch designed Grandstand and what are we planning to do, hide it away so that visiting fans will glance at it and think itā€™s just an old stand with a new roof.

I totally agree.

Item number 1 on my list of things to do with the revamp would have been the extension of the upper tier by essentially a block to form an even more elegant structure and add capacity. I think what you are suggesting would have looked actually quite beautiful.

demportdave

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Biggs":qfgh72hy said:
Lots of that is just incorrect, though.

The stand is being built so that itā€™s very easy to ā€˜completeā€™ it with extra funds and have a full length rodof and corners. So itā€™s not ā€˜evermoreā€™. If this building work prevented that extra development youā€™d have a point, but it does the opposite.

If you look at Stage 2 as the actual plan, and Stage 1 as everything we can afford within that final plan right now, then it makes way more sense.

The advertising stuff is pure and utter conjecture from what youā€™ve read on here. There has been no communication from the club about advertising yet.
Your views about the Grandstand are as deluded as your views on Derek Adams.

Filling in the corner with an extension of the modern, characterless Barn Park end is not completing the original grandstand and if that is the plan, it will look even more half-assed. Fortunately, that is not likely to ever happen and we will left with open corners.

I cannot agree that it makes more sense to wait until later as you say. The stand is back to a basic framework and that is the obvious time to complete the small piece at the Barn Park End as per the original structure, not cobble a bit on the end at a later date that detracts from the aesthetics of the Leitch design. Itā€™s got to be far more easy from both an engineering perspective as well as cost. Retro-fitting is always far more expensive than doing it properly in the first place.

We were told back in 2003 that the new Grandstand would come shortly after completion of the horseshoe, weā€™re still waiting. Weā€™ve been waiting 65 years to complete the Grandstand and itā€™s still not going to happen.

Where are these ā€œextra fundsā€ coming from, this refurbishment is being done with loan money which has to be repaid.

They certainly wonā€™t come from on the field actions, particularly if we go back down to the basement as could well be the case. There is absolutely no prospect of Argyle returning to Championship in the foreseeable future, and as for the noble and sincere aspiration of James Brent to make Argyle ā€œa sustainable Championship clubā€, thatā€™s never going to happen.

For those of you who were at St Blazey with Adams last season you might recall him telling us that we would need Ā£40M to achieve that. Thatā€™s going to take a lot of quiches, sausage rolls and cheese and pineapple on sticks to raise that sort of income.

In any event, Exeter Chiefs have cornered the hospitality market. Why would any company bypass Sandy Park, with its great location next to the M5, to drive another 42 miles down to Plymouth for what will probably be a lesser facility.

Regarding advertising, Ian Newell seems to think the front will be clad with hoardings as Argyle wonā€™t be able to turn the money down. Iā€™m sure he has a lot more feel for what is going to happen at HP than me and most others.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
And the deluded accusation comes out again, after stating facts.

I wonā€™t bother posting again then, Iā€™m fed up with it.

Sep 19, 2015
Bit late to the party here but I couldn't agree more Dave. This is the perfect opportunity to extend the upper tier by one block or so and finally give the old girl that symmetrical look that she is crying out for.

demportdave

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Willis88":255ft8pp said:
Perfect opportunity if we had the funds. We don't, so we can't.
I think itā€™s a real shame that the Grandstand will not finally be completed after all these years by adding the missing section at the Barn Park End over the open steps. I appreciate that it would have added cost to the overall project but with the structure reduced to a very basic skeleton, this was surely the time to do it if it ever was going to happen.

In the first instance, completing the stand would have significantly improved the aesthetics and the symmetry and secondly, it would have added another 200-300 seats. But instead, despite spending Ā£6M we have the ludicrous situation where a block of seats still cannot be used because of the restricted view at the Barn Park End. Surely this issue should have been addressed during this major rebuild.

Completing the original structure should have been a priority because the reality is that unless we become an established and successful Championship club, Phase 2 is never going to happen because we will never be able to afford it; but as a League 2/League 1 yo-yo club, there will not be the need for Phase 2 anyway and a 19000 capacity stadium will be sufficient well into the foreseeable future.

I am a bit concerned that some fans seem to think that the new facilities are going to generate significant income that is going to transform our finances. Some also appear to think that Phase 2 - filling in the corners - will follow sooner rather than later.

I donā€™t think either of those will ever be a reality but I would love to be proved wrong.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I donā€™t really get the concern. The finished plan shows a small ā€˜blankā€™ area at the Barn Park end of the grandstand. Itā€™s unsymmetrical yes, but itā€™s barely anything and strikes me as the perfect space for a big screen or attractive mural.

And the point isnā€™t whether Stage 2 happens soon or not, itā€™s that the work in Stage 1 enables it all to be finished off in Stage 2. So itā€™s pointless to complain about things not being done in Stage 1, because the only reason for that is that we donā€™t have the cash yet.

Iā€™ve said it a few times, if you just look at Stage 2 as the final plan (and I donā€™t see how anyone can say that doesnā€™t look an incredibly smart enclosed stadium) and Stage 1 as what we can afford of that final plan right now... it makes a lot more sense.

demportdave

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Biggs":21ft5dby said:
I donā€™t really get the concern. The finished plan shows a small ā€˜blankā€™ area at the Barn Park end of the grandstand. Itā€™s unsymmetrical yes, but itā€™s barely anything and strikes me as the perfect space for a big screen or attractive mural.

And the point isnā€™t whether Stage 2 happens soon or not, itā€™s that the work in Stage 1 enables it all to be finished off in Stage 2. So itā€™s pointless to complain about things not being done in Stage 1, because the only reason for that is that we donā€™t have the cash yet.

Iā€™ve said it a few times, if you just look at Stage 2 as the final plan (and I donā€™t see how anyone can say that doesnā€™t look an incredibly smart enclosed stadium) and Stage 1 as what we can afford of that final plan right now... it makes a lot more sense.
Can you show me any modern stadium in the world that has a big screen 3 parts of the way down one side (thus further restricting the view from the Grandstand) and as for you suggestion of an ā€œattractive muralā€, this is Home Park not Hilda Ogdenā€™s front room.

I would like to see big screens at HP but they should be positioned in the corners or above the goals. Your lack of appreciation and understanding of symmetry is truly shocking.

Michael Dunford told me last Thursday night that adding the missing section to the Grandstand would have cost between Ā£500-600 thousand. A couple of decent large screens would easily cost at least half of that and probably more.

As for Phase 2, I will say it again for your benefit at least, itā€™s not going to happen because we will never be able to afford it and we wonā€™t need another 5-6000 seats. Itā€™s no more than a pipe dream and a sop to fans like your good self who actually think it will happen.

As the last stand ever Leitch-designed stand in the football League we could have really made something of it but instead, it will just look like an old but incomplete stand with a new roof and a frontage plastered in advertising.