• Welcome to PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by GA Solicitors and Lang & Potter.

Administrator ends talks with Buttivant

Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Link
PLYMOUTH Argyle's administrators say they have "ceased dialogue" with one of the parties trying to take over the debt-crippled club, writes Edd Moore.

A consortium led by businessman Paul Buttivant had been asked to prove they had the cash in place by Monday evening.

But the group, who say they are backed by a multi-million-pound European investment fund, have still not done so.

Lead administrator Brendan Guilfoyle told The Herald he had now "ceased dialogue" with the group until funds are proved.

A source close to Mr Buttivant last night insisted they were not out of the race, promising their position would be clarified today in a public statement.

Mr Guilfoyle appears to now be focusing his attentions on two other bidders – Devon entrepreneur James Brent and an unnamed Irish consortium, with whom Mr Guilfoyle is due to meet in London today.

Sep 13, 2003
Wells
French Green":1wtezoef said:
The way I read it, is that if Buttivant can prove funds he is still in the race. Don't get too excited just yet :x

Exactly. He's not out of the race by any means, it's just another one of these incredibly flexible 'deadlines' that have been quite popular at HP over the past few months.

"If you miss my deadline, I'll... I'll... extend it is what I'll do - and don't you think I won't!"

Yawn.

Oct 7, 2003
Great, more to sort out at £300 per hour - as big a shark as any in this little saga!! Somewhere in this debarcle there used to be a football club - FFS get on with it!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Aug 2, 2008
bandwagon":2qcc5er5 said:
Great, more to sort out at £300 per hour - as big a shark as any in this little saga!! Somewhere in this debarcle there used to be a football club - FFS get on with it!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:iagree: And in the meantime our club withers on the vine and the support staff are finding thay cannot afford to carry on.
FFS LETS HAVE A DEADLINE ON DEADLINES. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: :stout:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
Oct 31, 2010
It hasn't exactly been a level playing field.

Paul Buttivant's statement should right a few wrongs and give the other side of the story.

PL2 3DQ":331a74ak said:

Paul Buttivant's statement should right a few wrongs and give the other side of the story.

Intriguing.

A lot of people are jumping on the "Brent = Good, Buttivant = Bad" bandwagon, but I'm not entirely sure why.

How "neutral" is Brenda in all of this, we know he is mates with Ridsdale after all ?

Jul 29, 2010
PL2 3DQ":1yv12x6c said:

It's not intruiging at all Chancellor, with the massive disparatity between the bids in terms of credibility, dignified behaviour and 'upfrontedness' I can't see why anyone would find it at all surprising Guilfoyle would want to work with Brent over Buttivant.

Brent is an established professional, experienced in buying failed businesses in administration and fully versed in good governence. He's been open and up front from the moment he joined the race publicly so we've no reason to believe he's been anything but that since being introduced to Guilfoyle earlier in the process.

Buttivant however is a time wasting spiv, time we can't afford to waste. He's had plenty of time sitting on the pot and he hasn't taken a p155, just skulked around Home Park univited with a couple of blokes with clipboards on his one and only visit to Plymouth, never even bothering to check first if Guilfoyle was even in town. With a three man administration team on £300.00 p/h that's about £8,000.00 per working day that's an expensive Nanny sitting patiently by waiting and encouraging him to pee.

He should go back to his Ward and start preparing for the kicking he's going to get at the local elections.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
Oct 31, 2010
X Isle":1b2dlwzf said:
PL2 3DQ":1b2dlwzf said:

It's not intruiging at all Chancellor, with the massive disparatity between the bids in terms of credibility, dignified behaviour and 'upfrontedness' I can't see why anyone would find it at all surprising Guilfoyle would want to work with Brent over Buttivant.

Brent is an established professional, experienced in buying failed businesses in administration and fully versed in good governence. He's been open and up front from the moment he joined the race publicly so we've no reason to believe he's been anything but that since being introduced to Guilfoyle earlier in the process.

Buttivant however is a time wasting spiv, time we can't afford to waste. He's had plenty of time sitting on the pot and he hasn't taken a p155, just skulked around Home Park univited with a couple of blokes with clipboards on his one and only visit to Plymouth, never even bothering to check first if Guilfoyle was even in town. With a three man administration team on £300.00 p/h that's about £8,000.00 per working day that's an expensive Nanny sitting patiently by waiting and encouraging him to pee.

He should go back to his Ward and start preparing for the kicking he's going to get at the local elections.

Hold on.
It's not all black and white.
I explained about the insurance assessor visit. That disguise was the administrators idea so that a potential buyer and his consortium could anonymously walk around Home Park with no hassle.

I still think the Brent bid is slightly the best option but there's a campaign going on against Buttivant. There are two sides to every story and the statement due to be announced from Buttivant will show part of the other side of that story.
Brent prefers to use the media and Buttivant doesn't.

Keep an open mind.

John Squire

Lowey Sponsor
50/50 Sponsor
X Isle seems to have a problem that Buttivant is a Tory. Surely, Party Politics do not have any bearing on who is best for the club?

There seems to me to be very little choice as to who the prospective owners will be. We have the 'Irish' group on one hand ,Buttivant on the other, and James Brent as the reluctant bidder. I, for one don't care one iota who is a Tory, Labour, or Liberal Democrat supporter. As long as they have the funds to take the club forward and out of the current mess, then they will be fine with me. If that means building a hotel at Home Park, then that also fine with me, after all with the new Life Centre opening in November I would have thought a hotel nearby would be ideal. The Canadian Diving team could have stayed there next summer, in their preparation for the Olympics in London.

I feel that with time and options running out, it needs sorting soonest!

X Isle":3aajslcq said:
PL2 3DQ":3aajslcq said:

If you were a reasonable person you would retract most of that remark. But then you arent a reasonable person judging by your condemnation of something you know knowing about.

As Posty has said, they have each utilised the media in different ways, Brent has been very careful to make the right noises to an understandably tender fanbase. But that doesnt mean he is the best option.

From the very little we all know about the bids I slightly favour Brent at the moment but I could easily be persuaded otherwise if we know more, which we probably wont.

Nov 13, 2010
Chancellor":2ey04gv7 said:
X Isle":2ey04gv7 said:
PL2 3DQ":2ey04gv7 said:

If you were a reasonable person you would retract most of that remark. But then you arent a reasonable person judging by your condemnation of something you know knowing about.

As Posty has said, they have each utilised the media in different ways, Brent has been very careful to make the right noises to an understandably tender fanbase. But that doesnt mean he is the best option.

From the very little we all know about the bids I slightly favour Brent at the moment but I could easily be persuaded otherwise if we know more, which we probably wont.

The good and the evil according to some, and yet it is still a match that has not been decided.

Aug 2, 2008
Bout time he comes clean about his plans then otherwise the supporters will remain against his bid. :mrgreen: :stout:

Aug 26, 2009
Plympton
It is indeed wonderful to have Brent as a 'fall back', but do we really want someone running the side that really does not want to? What will be his driver? Is he not going to invest in the playing staff and, if not, what sort of squad are we going to be asked to support?

Money is very tight nowadays and as much as I love my Argyle, I am sure that I, and many others, will find other things to do with our Saturdays, if the playing side deteriorates any more.

Brent could be a slippery slope!

I want to know what he plans for the team/squad strengthening, not weakening. I am not too worried about the development of the ground at the moment - that can come in time to come. I also believe that the other potential bidders must be given a fair hearing, and I have the fear that the Administrator is indeed delaying things to get the best deal for him and not the club.

I, for one, will not be ploughing my money into a side sliding further into the mire with the prospect of the Conference League, and I have been a season ticket holder, with other members of my family, for many many years.

I am not at all fickle, and I love my Argyle. I am just being pragmatic!

Jul 24, 2009
hamzie":2ra9mtcm said:
X Isle seems to have a problem that Buttivant is a Tory. Surely, Party Politics do not have any bearing on who is best for the club?

There seems to me to be very little choice as to who the prospective owners will be. We have the 'Irish' group on one hand ,Buttivant on the other, and James Brent as the reluctant bidder. I, for one don't care one iota who is a Tory, Labour, or Liberal Democrat supporter. As long as they have the funds to take the club forward and out of the current mess, then they will be fine with me. If that means building a hotel at Home Park, then that also fine with me, after all with the new Life Centre opening in November I would have thought a hotel nearby would be ideal. The Canadian Diving team could have stayed there next summer, in their preparation for the Olympics in London.

I feel that with time and options running out, it needs sorting soonest!

Quite, I get the fact X Isle doesn't like Tory's but I think his points (which often make good and interesting reading) would carry more weight if he didn't brink it into every post. There may be plenty of reasons not to back Buttivant but being a Tory is neither here nor there.

For what it's worth I remain impressed by Brent and with some reservations about Buttivant but still with an open mind.

Jul 29, 2010
victor":17m82yp4 said:
It is indeed wonderful to have Brent as a 'fall back', but do we really want someone running the side that really does not want to? What will be his driver? Is he not going to invest in the playing staff and, if not, what sort of squad are we going to be asked to support?

Money is very tight nowadays and as much as I love my Argyle, I am sure that I, and many others, will find other things to do with our Saturdays, if the playing side deteriorates any more.

Brent could be a slippery slope!

I want to know what he plans for the team/squad strengthening, not weakening. I am not too worried about the development of the ground at the moment - that can come in time to come. I also believe that the other potential bidders must be given a fair hearing, and I have the fear that the Administrator is indeed delaying things to get the best deal for him and not the club.

I, for one, will not be ploughing my money into a side sliding further into the mire with the prospect of the Conference League, and I have been a season ticket holder, with other members of my family, for many many years.

I am not at all fickle, and I love my Argyle. I am just being pragmatic!

The "he's not interested" line is a glass half empty view of it. The other view is it's a better motivation than the sheer profit angle the other two bids are based around, we've seen already there is no money to be made from Argyle so surely self sufficiency and driving the brand forward is by far the better route, nest pas?.

PJ explains it better in the link on the "Jones backs Brent" thread.

And hang on a second, just because I favour one bid do not automatically assume I hava a closed mind to the others. What it should show you is that having been open to the facts as each bidder has presented I simply can't see one SINGLE redeeming feature of the Buttivant bid over the Brent one. It's like accusing me of having a closed mind just because I support democratic government over Sharia law..........keep an open mind to stoning your womenfolk? :roll:.

One bid IS better than the other and the dilly dallying is costing us dearly, both financially and in terms of preparations for next season. If we f*ck about waiting for time wasters like Buttivant there's a danger there will be no time for squad preparations and club organisation for next season, I want this sorted. I don't expect immediate promotion back to league 1 next season, it'll be a long recovery but what I do fear is creeping up on us is a wholly underprepared start to 20011/2012. God forbid we don't clear the CVA in time?, we just have the contracted professionals left with youth team players to fill the massive holes until January because we didn't get the transfer embargo sorted?. A start as bad as that could be unrecoverable from.

From BWP to BSP in the space of a year? :shock:.

Stop being so darn reasonable to this clown, it's costing us time we can't afford. There's a clearly better bid, take it Brendan and let's start getting this ship shipshape again FFS :twisted:.

NB - OK, i'll stop with the T*ry stuff. I may passionately hate their two-facedness right now but that's no business with Argyle, fair enough.