50 shots, 1 goal. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

50 shots, 1 goal.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Three games, 50 shots, 8 on target, 1 goal. I’ve seen lots of people talking about our defenders but I think the problem has been much more up top. We’ve been powderpuff. The performances in themselves have been OK, but we need to be far more lethal. Lowe as a former poacher must be pulling his hair out, I don’t blame Lowe for these defeats, I don’t think his strikers are doing the job.

Last edited:

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Three games, 50 shots, 8 on target, 1 goal. I’ve seen lots of people talking about our defenders but I think the problem has been much more up top. We’ve been powderpuff. The performances in themselves have been OK, but we need to be far more lethal, and Lowe as a former poacher must be pulling his hair out.
All Mayor's fault

Aug 26, 2021
Three games, 50 shots, 8 on target, 1 goal. I’ve seen lots of people talking about our defenders but I think the problem has been much more up top. We’ve been powderpuff. The performances in themselves have been OK, but we need to be far more lethal. Lowe as a former poacher must be pulling his hair out, I don’t blame Lowe for these defeats, I don’t think his strikers are doing the job.
Not to mention we are way way top of the corner count for League 1, averaging 7 or 8 a game, but the early season optimism about Scarr and Wilson making them count has disappeared. We don't look dangerous at all.

Oct 5, 2013
We should have had 3 or 4 today, but too many of our players either didn't shoot at all, or didn't get the shot on target. Some of the shooting technique on display was poor, ball too much under their feet to get a shot in. Looks to me like they're trying to walk the ball in with passing movements, instead of belting it goalwards.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
The front line just look lost when the ball comes to them.

Not sure what service they need but it needs to be communicated to the rest of the team.

High crosses are not the answer

Sep 6, 2006
In those 50 shots I remember the keeper making one half decent save.

Reactions: Fergy
Jan 6, 2004
I dont think lots of shots are necessarily a good thing - it can suggest, as is the case for the last couple of games imo, that players are taking early shots from marginal positions, which is often the easy option, rather than make an incisive pass or move to turn a half chance into a real chance.

Mar 11, 2018
Oddly, when we put 4 past Accrington Stanley just 4 games ago and got all excited, the opposing manager praised our clinical top of the league finishing. That day we had 9 shots and 7 on target. Perhaps the difference is down to the quality and set up of the opposing defence as implied by Green Flash.

Last edited:

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
Wholeheartedly agree with this. Hardie had a chance at Charlton that he should have buried, and Jephcott had multiple presentable chances against Wycombe, none of which he could even get on target. Things were tighter against Wigan, but again, Jephcott's attempt when clean through on the right hand side was woeful. We could have easily taken the lead in all 3 matches. I know Agard has to take some of the blame for not looking after the ball for the Wigan winner, but he might actually put the ball in the back of the net occasionally, unlike Jephcott for the last 3 months.

Dec 30, 2020
Oddly, when we put 4 past Accrington Stanley just 4 games ago and got all excited, the opposing manager praised our clinical top of the league finishing. That day we had 9 shots and 7 on target. Perhaps the difference is down to the quality and set up of the opposing defence as implied by Green Flash.

Definitely think this is right. In the Wycombe game we had tonnes of shots but they were nearly all desperate efforts from outside the area because we couldn’t find a way through their defence.

If an opponent were reduced to taking pot shots like that against Argyle, we’d (rightly) be celebrating a strong defensive performance rather than worrying how many shots we’d conceded.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Total shots can certainly be a misleading stat. I cannot remember many clear cut chances from the last two home games apart from Mayor’s goal. This is what will happen when teams sit much deeper against us. We are fantastic at playing on the break against a high line but look hopeless trying to break down compact defences.

Reactions: SurreyJanner