20% share offer - what Mr Brent could have done... | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

20% share offer - what Mr Brent could have done...

R

RWW

I love the 20% share offer that Mr Brent has vocalised. We await the detail but, in hindsight, I wish he had been a bit more creative.

His current offer will divide opinion, cause huge fall outs within the trust and the green army, and will lead to some ugly moments. This is (public?) life in 2012, sadly, and we will eventually come out the other side with a stronger trust but what about this for an idea....

James Brent says he is going to sell 20% of the stake in PAFC to the fans.

Over the next 5 seasons he "sells" 4% of the club via ticketing. Every home ticket purchased can have 50p (?) added to it. This gives you a proportional ownership of the 4% on offer this year. For example, if only 4 tickets were sold that season (!) the 4 people would have a 1% share in the club at the end of the season. If 8 tickets were sold each ticket would be worth 0.5% of PAFC.

This would drip feed the club to the fans. (The 50p price on top of the ticket could even be optional).

Like minded fans could then join together to get a block of votes together e.g. "organic growth" v "investment" etc.

Some maths for you....

Assuming 23 home league games and an average home attendance of (you don't want to include away fans) 8000 this would mean that there would be 184000 bits of Argyle "sold" each season for 5 seasons. If you attended all 23 home games you would have 23 bits of the 184000 pieces on offer. That 184000 would be equivalent to 4% of the club.

Assuming 8000 Argyle fans showed up each game for a season (and all paid the 50p) then this would raise just under £100 000 for a 4% stake. Not a huge amount of money and probably too low but you could just make the extra payment a little more.

A wacky idea I know but just thought it would be interesting to hear some views on it.....

L

Lee Jameson

I have read more bizzar posts, it would have however more credibility if you were to use your real name!

gil

Feb 22, 2008
An interesting idea. But for me a few points immediately arise.

Firstly, would the sums that could be raised actually be enough for a 20% stake - only Mr B knows that at the moment?

Secondly, there are many fans who would be against either paying more for their tickets, aren't interested in owning a slice of the club, or even disapprove of fan ownership. As a result the extra cost of a ticket would have to be voluntary thus decreasing any figures generated.

Thirdly, for me the attraction of fan ownership is based on a honogenous fans group such as the Trust actually having a financial stake in the club that gives them some leverage if ever needed. Individual fans or even small groups would all have different needs and agendas and unlikely to be able to achieve very much without real unity of purpose.

Unless I've missed something then I'm not really sure why the last poster thinks your ideas are any less credible because you don't use your real name. :?

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
I was under the impression that the 20% was being gifted to the Trust.

If the price is beyond the reach of the Trust then it will be a joke, especially after all the hard work put in to save the Club.