104-game 2026 World Cup? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

104-game 2026 World Cup?

Jan 2, 2010
Bottom line. More games = more sponsorship.

Hate group games where two teams know if they both draw they both go through.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
The 4 team groups make perfect sense, why change what isn't broken and the thought of teams flying from all over the world to North America for 2 games is mad, and thats without getting in to the world of the 2 teams playing the last game knowing exactly what they both need to go through in a 3 team group scenario.

There is such a thing as too much though, 104 games? Potentially 6 games a day! There are going to be some very very poor teams qualifying for the tournament.

Reactions: Tavy Tony

Lev Yashin

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Aug 1, 2017
Canada
It’s always about the money!
To many games and us here in Canada will get Iran v Guatamala
and will be asked to pay $1,000 a ticket for the privilege .
I think I will prefer the beach until the quarter finals when the usual suspects fight it out!

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
Sidney, British Columbia,, Canada
I think I will prefer the beach until the quarter finals when the usual suspects fight it out!
Well Canada plays a game in Toronto and 2 in Vancouver, and their knockout games will be in Vancouver as well. Of course they won’t get through as their garbage.

I’ll try to get tickets to a game at BC Place, not every day the World Cup is in your doorstep, though I did move from a 10 minute walk to the stadium.

Mexijan1

🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽
✅ Evergreen
Jul 17, 2023
I am in between Mexico City and Guadalajara. MC a bit closer but will try for tickets at either depending on games. Monterrey bit of a trek but will do it if England are there.

Jul 29, 2010
The danger is though the tournament will start so slow and flat with such a blitz of 'nothing' fixtures, there'll be nothing to get the excitement going... by the time the knock-out stages start the zeitgeist will have long gone.

We saw this recently with the more than a month long Rugby World Cup... such an early snorefest that the fans were still asleep by the time it got interesting.

In your example, you'll be enjoying the beach so much while the totally lifeless World Cup is going on in the background... that you'll probably be minded to stay there.

Nov 18, 2011
The danger is though the tournament will start so slow and flat with such a blitz of 'nothing' fixtures, there'll be nothing to get the excitement going... by the time the knock-out stages start the zeitgeist will have long gone.

We saw this recently with the more than a month long Rugby World Cup... such an early snorefest that the fans were still asleep by the time it got interesting.

In your example, you'll be enjoying the beach so much while the totally lifeless World Cup is going on in the background... that you'll probably be minded to stay there.
I just checked to see if the Cricket world cup was still dragging on...

• Haha
Reactions: X Isle
Jul 29, 2010
I just checked to see if the Cricket world cup was still dragging on...
OMG yeah, that was another prime example, probably a better one as it was so dull I completely forgot it :ROFLMAO:

It'll make no odds to them though. When they have their post tournament review meetings it'll all be about overall dollars earned not viewing/attending numbers.

Money matters more.

Nov 18, 2011
OMG yeah, that was another prime example, probably a better one as it was so dull I completely forgot it :ROFLMAO:

It'll make no odds to them though. When they have their post tournament review meetings it'll all be about overall dollars earned not viewing/attending numbers.

Money matters more.
For most of the cricket administrators nowadays, their main goal appears to be to have India on TV as much as possible.

It wouldn't surprise me if a rule gets forced into future tournaments where a knocked out team can be voted back into a tournament by the fans. I wonder who has the most fans...

Reactions: X Isle