Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy  
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Old submarine moored underneath laira bridge?
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:20 pm 

Up the pub the otner night and we got to talk about the old submarine which was moored underneath laira bridge.

I think it was there for years when I was a kid.

?I thought for some reason that it was the former HMS Andrew....any body out there know anything about this?

Post subject: Re: Old submarine moored underneath laira bridge?
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:25 pm 

I remember her being there and was told it was HMS Andrew. Was there to be broken up for scrap.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:22 pm 

One of my mates said there were other subs there as well.

I could not recall them.

Hms Andrew type in a search on Wikipedia quite a famous boat !

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:10 am 

Back in the 60's/70's there was a scrapyard called Davies & Cann they tendered to cut up a number of old submarines and for several years after the wrecks were moored at this wharf before eventually being cut up.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:35 am 

I looked it up and the Andrew was there in 1977 and I can remember, as others have said, subs being there earlier than that.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:12 am 

One of the more interesting ships broken up in Plymouth, possibly by Davies and Cann, in the mid 1950's was HMS Amethyst of the River Yangzte incident fame,which took place in 1949. The hull, after stripping out lay on the Coxside side of Sutton Harbour while she was cut up. I never saw anything that big being cut up in that area again.

The escape down the Yangzte river was the subject of several books and a film. When she returned to Plymouth half of the population including me as a boy, was on the Hoe and right around to King Billy to welcome her home.

If you google ''HMS Amethyst return to Plymouth'" you will see some great footage of her return including coming alongside in the Dockyard and also the march through the city complete with Marine band. There are a couple of different newsreels so don't stop at one.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:25 pm 

This is exactly the sort of thread that i suggested starting the Plymouth board would be good for!!
I wondered for years about that very question, as I remember it well from time playing in the Morley arms beer garden along with the animals of many types!

Anyway, I asked my dad about it a while back, and as previous posters have said, it was indeed HMS Andrew, along with one other I believe. Where the car breakers yard is now, there used to be a ship breakers!!

Edited to add, having now read all the posts on this thread, I realise I've just stated the already stated!! Sorry guys!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:02 pm 

As others have confirmed it was HMS Andrew. A sister submarine of the Andrew is HMS Alliance which has been restored and is open to visitors at the Submarine museum in Gosport.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:50 pm 

HMS Rorqual was the other one I think. I remember seeing HMS Andrew there as a child.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:26 pm 

I believe HMS Andrew was used in the Gregory Peck film On The Beach (Nevil Shute novel)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:11 pm 
PALFC Sponsor #1 18/19, PALFC Sponsor #2 18/19, PASOTI Punmaster and Player Sponsor #1 18/19

I remember the subs being there.
Before that (50s?) I remember the whole river being milky white from china clay works. We used to call it Milky Bridge. Remember gawking out of the sidecar as my balaclava slipped over my eyes, en route to Stoke Beach tent site!! :) Unbelievable as it wouldn't happen these days would it!! Have no idea when it was 'cleaned up'. anyone? :think:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:37 pm 

The extract below is from the National Archives website regarding pollution in the Plym from china clay.

Description:
Pollution of River Plym: proceedings against Brisworthy china clay works. Contains 4 Ordnance Survey maps some with manuscript additions 1.2500 National Grid Series sheet SX5564 Cornwall River Board, sheet SX56 Devonshire, sheet SX5565. File also contains a diagram showing the River Plym sampling points and 2 charts giving the china clay parts per million.
Includes 14 photographs depicting: River pollution, River Plymm, Devon. Dated 1955-1957.
Date: 1956 - 1958

I'd imagine the clean up would have begun soon after, late 50's early 60's.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:08 pm 

I remember those submarines being there for a few years from 76/77, to your right as you went over Laira bridge, heading towards the South Hams.

The subs and 'milky water' are possibly featured in Crispin Gill's, Plymouth River book, which I've got, but haven't read for over 5 years since it went missing after a house move.