Limping over the line - again? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Limping over the line - again?

Jan 11, 2016
Despite the spirited attempts of the cock-eyed optimists on Pasoti the strong likelihood is that the next three games will be lost and perhaps all will depend on a result against Scunthorpe on the last day. Shades here of the end of the 1963-64 season which also began with a wait until game 12 for a victory.
Argyle stayed up on goal average from Grimsby after a 0-0 draw with Rotherham in front of 17,000 on the final day. Does anyone else remember that afternoon? These were the days of only two clubs being relegated - in the end who was it that went down with Grimsby? - it was Scunthorpe!

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
I wouldn't say it was a "strong likelihood" we'll lose to Gillingham, Stanley or Scunthorpe.

I know we've been pretty rubbish lately but to write off games against those teams - all pretty rubbish themselves - is cock-eyed pessimism, if that's the term you want to use.

I'd give us a 50/50 chance in each of them - again, not necessarily as we're good, but because the opposition isn't much.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
David Friio's mate":yfgiop7b said:
I wouldn't say it was a "strong likelihood" we'll lose to Gillingham, Stanley or Scunthorpe.

I know we've been pretty rubbish lately but to write off games against those teams - all pretty rubbish themselves - is cock-eyed pessimism, if that's the term you want to use.

I'd give us a 50/50 chance in each of them - again, not necessarily as we're good, but because the opposition isn't much.

Oh it just makes me proud to be an Argo supporter, what a season!! :thumbs: :nworthy: :funny:

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Sainghin Green":ex01dhmp said:
Despite the spirited attempts of the cock-eyed optimists on Pasoti the strong likelihood is that the next three games will be lost and perhaps all will depend on a result against Scunthorpe on the last day. Shades here of the end of the 1963-64 season which also began with a wait until game 12 for a victory.
Argyle stayed up on goal average from Grimsby after a 0-0 draw with Rotherham in front of 17,000 on the final day. Does anyone else remember that afternoon? These were the days of only two clubs being relegated - in the end who was it that went down with Grimsby? - it was Scunthorpe!
I was at that game. Rotherham had the wonderfully named Roy Ironside in goal. My only memory of the game is a Frank Lord header hitting the bar. I can still remember walking up behind the back of the old Devonport End, (probably been in the toilets without a roof before the long walk home), and it came across the tannoy, "Plymouth Argyle are still in the 2nd Division". I had also been there a few weeks before to see an important 3-1 win over Scunthorpe.

The following season it was all change. A young Malcolm Allison was brought in from Bath as the Manager, bringing Tony Book with him. Argyle changed from their traditional green shirt with white and black trim - which I still have - to the iconic white shirt with the green and black bands, with the new Mayflower badge replacing the old Plymouth coat of arms.

Happy days!