Daily Catch Up - Thursday 7 February | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Daily Catch Up - Thursday 7 February

Site Manager

Administrator
Apr 3, 2013
The latest Argyle news and gossip.

Luton Town interim manager Mick Harford says Argyle loan signing Lloyd Jones still has a future at Kenilworth Road ......
“We thought it was beneficial for Lloyd to go out on loan and get some minutes.
“He’s been very patient here, trying to get in the team, trying to break through and he got a little bit frustrated, in terms of not playing.

“So we think for his development, to go to Plymouth and play 15-20 games towards the end of the season, hopefully come back next season with that experience of those games in League One and as a better centre half.

“Lloyd’s definitely got a future here. It’s been hard for him as the two centre halves have gone in there and been magnificent in all fairness, so he’s struggled.
“He got a bit frustrated, we’ve had numerous chats, he had numerous chats with Nathan about playing or getting in the team or going out on loan and this is the right time for Lloyd to go now we’ve got a new replacement in Alex Baptiste.

"He’s a good lad, he’s a good player, it’s just when you haven’t played for that length of time, he needs to play. “He needs to go and get some games and he will come back a better player. “He’s part of our plan, part of our future. For him it’s getting game time under his belt and coming back for next season.”

Derek Adams reveals he has offered former Argyle striker Joe Mason a deal beyond this season. Mason is a free agent and able to sign outside of the transfer window, Adams said ....
“We have made an offer to take in Joe Mason. The offer is with him and his agent, so we will wait to see if that is acceptable. He has got vast experience of playing in the Championship. He has not had much game-time during his loan spell at Portsmouth but we will see where the negotiations go.”

Ruben Lameiras wins the PFA League One fans Players of the Month award for January.

Joel Grant is set to miss the rest of the season after having an operation yesterday on his thigh and hip, Adams said ....
“Joel Grant has been in for an operation on the top of his thigh and his hip to repair that.

“He has obviously been out since the Wimbledon game and he had a setback when he was recovering.
“He might make the last week of the season, or not. He wants to try and get back and play before the end of the season.”

Conor Chaplin's goal for Coventry City against Argyle at Home Park in January has been voted as the EFL Goal of the Month.

New signing Lloyd Jones talks about his move to Argyle ....
“I moved in yesterday and I had a few hours to myself. I just sat there thinking ‘it feels real nice. I haven’t been home for eight years.’
“On Sunday (January 27), I spoke to my agent and then I spoke to Derek on the Monday. As soon as Argyle became an option, that was the club I wanted to come to.”

“It’s a proud moment. It’s just the little things like when you go to Harpers Park.
“I remember when I was around 14, going in with the youth team. In the winter, the first-team would be getting all the gear; trousers, jumpers, and I’d be walking down there in shorts, but now I’ve got all the gear on, so I actually feel like I’m part of the players. It does mean a lot.

“I used to sit in the Devonport End. It’s weird seeing your name on the back of an Argyle jersey. It’s every kid’s dream of playing for your home city. Hopefully that chance does come, and it’s down to me then.”
“I remember the first day I came, me and the gaffer walked around the stadium, and I couldn’t believe it. What they’re doing with the Grandstand looks unbelievable.

“I’ve always been confident in my ability, and I think this is hopefully going to be a platform for me to go and kick-on again.
“I want as many points as I can get for Argyle as possible. The gaffer said, ‘alright I know there’s a bit of a gap there and it’s probably a bit far-fetched, but it’s only 12 points to the play-offs’. I think you’ve just got to win the big games, like Saturday, and take it from there.”

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
jimsing":1mcz99v0 said:
Joel Grant is out for the rest of the season after an operation on his thigh.

Hope he recovers quickly.
JG deserves a lot of credit for his consistent performances when we were on that poor run at the start of the season. Joel Grant and Yann Songo were our stand out players by a country mile.

Feb 2, 2007
Wish Joel well. Interesting our upturn in results has coincided with the lad not starting. Similar to last season. #JustSaying

Last season he started 24 games and we won 6 win ratio 25%; games not started 22 games; 13 wins; 59%

This season he started 17 games and we won 4 games; win ratio 23%; games not started 14 games; 6 wins; 43%

Ouch.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Good research. Strangely tho my observation was jar Joel himself didn’t play too bad this season and generally it was other team mates who let the team down more than him.

Hoping you have a speedy recovery Joel.

Mar 14, 2009
Joel Grant was forming a good little partnership with Conor Grant down that left hand side. Unfortunately C Grant got injured playing at left back.

J Grant was one of our consistent performers. He dribbles and carries the ball well. Different to what we have. He will be missed.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
I thought Joel Grant was much improved on last season and deserves respect for getting his head down and working hard when we were really struggling before Christmas. I hope he returns fit and raring to go at the start of next season, hopefully in League 1 still!

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
nick_PASTIE":1gprcimm said:
Wish Joel well. Interesting our upturn in results has coincided with the lad not starting. Similar to last season. #JustSaying

Last season he started 24 games and we won 6 win ratio 25%; games not started 22 games; 13 wins; 59%

This season he started 17 games and we won 4 games; win ratio 23%; games not started 14 games; 6 wins; 43%

Ouch.

I think this is largely down to the fact that Lameiras has played when Grant hasn't! Unfair to judge Grant on that basis as he has been replaced by someone who has won us a stack of points in both seasons on his own.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
jimsing":ikyckrbu said:
That’s a shame. He said, at Senior Greens recently, that he loves it here but he is out of contract at the end of this season.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
davie nine":3ct5n9tx said:
jimsing":3ct5n9tx said:
That’s a shame. He said, at Senior Greens recently, that he loves it here but he is out of contract at the end of this season.

I'd guess he'd get a new deal, maybe only a 1 year offer though, gives us an option off the bench.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Let's be honest Lloyd is back because he is not able to get into Lutons first team. All this I'm delighted to be back nonsense, is just cobblers. We couldn't match Luton on money so that's where he went, spare me the "jumpers for goalposts" schmaltz.

If we need him to step in to deputise for Canavan or Edwards at some point he will be busting a gut to prove a point and hopefully get back to Luton and prove to them he's worth persevering with and that's fine.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Larry David":3ogesuka said:
Let's be honest Lloyd is back because he is not able to get into Lutons first team. All this I'm delighted to be back nonsense, is just cobblers. We couldn't match Luton on money so that's where he went, spare me the "jumpers for goalposts" schmaltz.

If we need him to step in to deputise for Canavan or Edwards at some point he will be busting a gut to prove a point and hopefully get back to Luton and prove to them he's worth persevering with and that's fine.

Well each to his own.
Personally, when I read this:

"As soon as Argyle became an option, that was the club I wanted to come to.” .......
"I used to sit in the Devonport End. It’s weird seeing your name on the back of an Argyle jersey. It’s every kid’s dream of playing for your home city.

I believe him, basically because he is saying what I would have said (just 40 years later! :oops: )
I'm happy to have him here, get him playing well in a winning team? Think he'll want to stay. Hre is one of ours (well mine, obviously not yours tho') :scarf:

Feb 2, 2007
RKB":32s393wy said:
nick_PASTIE":32s393wy said:

Ouch.

I think this is largely down to the fact that Lameiras has played when Grant hasn't! Unfair to judge Grant on that basis as he has been replaced by someone who has won us a stack of points in both seasons on his own.

Spot on. Grant is a trier and decent bench player, certainly able to contribute more than a Wylde or an Ainsworth he shouldn’t be a L1 started IMO.