Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy  
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Biggest without top flight football
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:43 pm 

Seen a vlog recently of 7 biggest clubs never played in the prem, we was 5th in the video, always feel in terms of the top flight itself however we're 1st & the biggest club never to be in the 1st division, in fairness I think there's only 3 big clubs without top flight football over all that's us Bristol rovers & Port vale, what's you guys thoughts on the biggest clubs without top flight football?

Post subject: Re: Biggest without 1st division football
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:53 pm 

The cities of Bristol and Stoke on Trent have had top flight clubs, which shines a light on Plymouth's misfortune in never having seen top flight football.

Post subject: Re: Biggest without top flight football
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:58 pm 

If anyone says Wakefield...

Post subject: Re: Biggest without 1st division football
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 pm 

Knibbsworth wrote:
The cities of Bristol and Stoke on Trent have had top flight clubs, which shines a light on Plymouth's misfortune in never having seen top flight football.

@Knibbsworth definite point there that's true, cause of city size I added them 2 unfortunatly their neighbours outshine them in Stoke & Bristol City & unless investment will in future terms, shame Bristol Rovers & Port Vale haven't had spells in the bug time but we're the real shame as we're the last major city, but we can dream as Hull had their day in 08 & Coventry in 67

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:57 pm 

Biggs wrote:
If anyone says Wakefield...

Literally @Biggs it's in realistic 1.They're not a major city and 2. It's an unrealistic name thrown into the hat as Dudleys been brought up before too & these adverse sized cities & big town don't even have a professional club so it would have to be a Milton Keynes franchise run up the leages & that's just not right in our english game.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:21 pm 

BcbC2312 wrote:
Seen a vlog recently of 7 biggest clubs never played in the prem, we was 5th in the video, always feel in terms of the top flight itself however we're 1st & the biggest club never to be in the 1st division, in fairness I think there's only 3 big clubs without top flight football over all that's us Bristol rovers & Port vale, what's you guys thoughts on the biggest clubs without top flight football?
I have always understood that it is the size of the city the club represents rather the size of the club. Traditionally it was always Hull and Argyle at 1 and 2 and then Hull made it to the top tier. So Bristol have never been included because the city has been represented. Port Vale is a new one on me. Whilst it is perhaps seen as part of Stoke on Trent, the Port Vale club is based in Burslem which is one of 6 separate towns that makes up the city of Stoke on Trent. The others are Hanley, Longton, Fenton, Tunstall and Stoke itself. But again, as the city has already been represented, it is not on the list of cities that have never hosted top-tier football.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:24 pm 

memory man wrote:
BcbC2312 wrote:
I have always understood that it is the size of the city the club represents rather the size of the club. Traditionally it was always Hull and Argyle at 1 and 2 and then Hull made it to the top tier. So Bristol have never been included because the city has been represented. Port Vale is a new one on me. Whilst it is perhaps seen as part of Stoke on Trent, the Port Vale club is based in Burslem which is one of 6 separate towns that makes up the city of Stoke on Trent. The others are Hanley, Longton, Fenton, Tunstall and Stoke itself. But again, as the city has already been represented, it is not on the list of cities that have never hosted top-tier football.

No such thing as a big club unless you happen to be in the 1st 6 or so of the premier league. We are not and have never been a big club. we have spent most of our history kicking around leagues 1 and 2 or if you prefer Div 3 and 4. Without mega investment it is where we will always be. Not popular for saying it but that is the truth. I have supported through thick and thin for 60 years and it aint gone to change in the foreseeable future. Truth is if you live in the extreme west we are lucky to get a mention in the weather forecast let alone a footie write up in the press or a mention ahead of an exeter side round or oval ball on Spotlight.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:31 pm 

memory man wrote:
BcbC2312 wrote:

@memory man very true I know from the history books there was originally 5 big major cities without top flight football post 1950, first Southampton 66 went up then Coventry 67 Norwich 72 then Hull 08 lastly poor us yet to join the other giants as we're the renowned sleeping ones, some great pointers though cause it's so true Bristol was pre prem in the early 1900's & 80's & yeah Vale's Burslem, i guess from a fans point we can dream as I know if we do it's only big towns & small cities as the biggest place without top flight i.e. Milton Keynes & Lincoln

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:35 pm 
Site Owner

Presto wrote:
No such thing as a big club unless you happen to be in the 1st 6 or so of the premier league.

Leeds United, Notts Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, Aston Villa etc etc???

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:39 pm 

Presto wrote:
No such thing as a big club unless you happen to be in the 1st 6 or so of the premier league. We are not and have never been a big club. we have spent most of our history kicking around leagues 1 and 2 or if you prefer Div 3 and 4. Without mega investment it is where we will always be. Not popular for saying it but that is the truth. I have supported through thick and thin for 60 years and it aint gone to change in the foreseeable future. Truth is if you live in the extreme west we are lucky to get a mention in the weather forecast let alone a footie write up in the press or a mention ahead of an exeter side round or oval ball on Spotlight.

@Presto no nothing wrong with that comment everyone's intiteled to their opinion & that's yours I can see truths in that too, I mean my family as Plymothians & myself always say the South West starts & ends at Bristol sometimes & you can see why at times

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:49 pm 

BcbC2312 wrote:
Presto wrote:

@Presto no nothing wrong with that comment everyone's intiteled to their opinion & that's yours I can see truths in that too, I mean my family as Plymothians & myself always say the South West starts & ends at Bristol sometimes & you can see why at times

Why do you out @ at the start of every response ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:49 pm 
Academy Donation

Biggest city without top flight football?

Glasgow surely???

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:50 pm 
Site Owner

:lol: :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next