Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy  
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Railway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:01 pm 

What a way to run a railway! Come to Plymouth but you might need your trunks to get past Dawlish.

This has to be addressed and now. Recently there was a programme on about Britain’s Lost Railways, courtesy of Beeching and the Tories. One of them was about the line between Plymouth and Exeter! This was news to me having been born and brought up in Plymouth. Apparently a line ran from Plymouth to Bere Alsto, Tavistock, Okehampton and Exeter. Much of the infrastructure still exists. Of course Plymouth to Bere Alston still exists and the line between Okehampton and Exeter has been restored.

Seems too simple doesn’t it. But Network Rail are wedded to the coastal route even though it is regularly knocked out by the weather. Even if the climate scientists are only half right things are going to get a helluva lot worse for Plymouth and Cornwall. It seems that King Canute is in charge of Network Rail.

Post subject: Re: Railway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:35 pm 

Fully agree. The Okehampton line runs freight I believe. Try not to get your hopes up though, the government and its private sector friends can't manage the lines they've already got properly. Consider this: in Plymouth there is a central station, with a total of three stations within spitting distance of each other in Devonport to its west, and yet to the east no station until Ivybridge. Plympton has ample room for a small station but no, nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:05 pm 

I wonder how the footfall would compare at Plympton with the likes of Devonport (Albert Road) or Keyham stations ?

Ideal world would be a station around the Tavistock Junction area linking up with the Coypool park and ride. It would need a bridge or a pedestrian subway under the running lines to make it a reality, there's no level crossings to worry about that would require the signalling layout to change in a big way, which is a big money saver.

The area hasn't had a station for about 60 years, with the surrounding catchment area it warrants one. You could even get off the train and get your bus to HP, as long, of course, you've managed to get through Dawlish Ok. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

The Dawlish line is very rarely closed (I think something like twice in the last 5 years). It’s the new cross country trains that run on them that break down in the bad weather. The old Inter City trains are fine in the bad weather.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:45 pm 

A station at Coypool wouldn't really make sense. I'd say that a station go in at the old location or somewhere further west alongside Plymouth Road. The former central, the latter where there is potentially more space.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:11 pm 

Bernard Mills has a new book in his backtracking series - Backtracking Around Plymouth, Tavistock South & Launceston: Then & Now.

Will be getting this. The first two editions, in and around Plymouth, of this series, were highly informative and an excellent read.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:44 pm 
PALFC Sponsor #1 18/19, GT Sponsor, Player Sponsor #1 18/19 and Player Sponsor #2 18/19

lipsonlad67 wrote:
Bernard Mills has a knew book in his backtracking series - Backtracking Around Plymouth, Tavistock South & Launceston: Then & Now.

Will be getting this. The first two editions, in and around Plymouth, of this series, were highly informative and an excellent read.

I believe that they have signed copies of this book for sale in the Plym Valley railway shop at Coypool.

Argyle till I die
I'm the only Argyle Nutter.

I am a golf bandit!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:58 pm 

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/fgw-class- ... ra-10.html

Thought I would share this. I didn't know that loco was famous! Anyone going to build a Laira layout??!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:34 pm 

Kentishgreen wrote:
What a way to run a railway! Come to Plymouth but you might need your trunks to get past Dawlish.

This has to be addressed and now. Recently there was a programme on about Britain’s Lost Railways, courtesy of Beeching and the Tories. One of them was about the line between Plymouth and Exeter! This was news to me having been born and brought up in Plymouth. Apparently a line ran from Plymouth to Bere Alsto, Tavistock, Okehampton and Exeter. Much of the infrastructure still exists. Of course Plymouth to Bere Alston still exists and the line between Okehampton and Exeter has been restored.

Seems too simple doesn’t it. But Network Rail are wedded to the coastal route even though it is regularly knocked out by the weather. Even if the climate scientists are only half right things are going to get a helluva lot worse for Plymouth and Cornwall. It seems that King Canute is in charge of Network Rail.

Believe it or not Tavistock once boasted 2 stations with a direct route to Plymouth. One via Bere Alston the other via The Plym Valley and Mash Mills. The stations were a mile apart but 33 miles distance if you took the train from Tavistock South to Tavistock North.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:02 am 
PALFC Sponsor #1 18/19, GT Sponsor, Player Sponsor #1 18/19 and Player Sponsor #2 18/19

Green_Matt wrote:
https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/fgw-class-08-0-6-0-08644-laira-diesel-depot-50-years-1962-2012-era-10.html

Thought I would share this. I didn't know that loco was famous! Anyone going to build a Laira layout??!

If they do, make sure to add some children leaning over the fence at the bottom of Brandon Road as the HST's go past. (Where the footpath goes down into the underpass).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:13 am 

Kentishgreen wrote:

Point of order. The Tories commissioned Beeching (who reported in 1963) and sanctioned many closures. However, Labour were returned to power in 1964 led by Wilson on a manifesto that included a pledge to halt the closures.

They didn’t, and actually oversaw the more controversial closures.

Closures actually continued into the late 60s under Labour.

On your general point I agree and the Tories are equally failing on their recent manifesto pledges.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:13 pm 

I’ve asked Network Rail to comment on the status of the Dawlish to Teignmouth line’s exposure to bad weather especially in the light of climate change. After all the tides are wholly predictable and most of our weather comes from the South West so you don’t need to have a PHD to work it out. Needless to say I haven’t heard from them. Now trying a local MP!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:57 pm 

Try Sir Gary.