Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy   IJN Payments
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Paying off his contract
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:36 pm 

Since I Was 33 wrote:
Shankster wrote:
Since I Was 33 wrote:
up_the_line wrote:
Since I Was 33 wrote:
Hull City, Bolton, Swansea, Reading and you could probably pick a few others were all clubs that built new stadiums or re-developed the old ones when they were low in the leagues. I'm sure their fans complained in the same way about money spent on development but in all those cases the clubs were playing in the top level within a few years. At the end of the day you have to speculate to accumulate.
Quite frankly the Grandstand was a dilapidated eye sore that restricted the amount of non-match day income the club can make so that will from next season come to an end. Some of the photos on GOS show just how much we needed to sort it out and now, not later.

To try to compare the cobbled together retro fit of the Mayflower with any of the stadiums you refer to is frankly quite amusing. In all those cases those clubs actually increased their capacity, probably to accommodate the extra fans their improved football would generate. In ours we are reducing it. As far as statements of intent go that tells me everything I need to know about where our football club sees itself

All those teams had a plan and a vision and it paid off. In the cases of all four quoted they weren't succeding at any level, their success followed the re-development. The development was responsible for their later success not the other way around

Really? They had benefactors, that was behind their success.

Bournemouth springs to mind

They certainly had people like Madejski at Reading and Pearson at Hull who put the initial cash up because after all stadiums don't build themselves but without the stadium development they would have stayed precisely where they were. The re-development of the stadia was part of the business model that allowed them to grow and become more succesfull. Bournemouth is slightly different as they have a Russian benefactor who has pumped lots of cash into the playing side.

Garside at Bolton, do not forget. All these guys were/are multi-millionaires. Argyle's main shareholders are not in the same quartile, sadly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:44 pm 

Quintrell_Green wrote:
Since I Was 33 wrote:
Shankster wrote:
Since I Was 33 wrote:
up_the_line wrote:
Since I Was 33 wrote:
Hull City, Bolton, Swansea, Reading and you could probably pick a few others were all clubs that built new stadiums or re-developed the old ones when they were low in the leagues. I'm sure their fans complained in the same way about money spent on development but in all those cases the clubs were playing in the top level within a few years. At the end of the day you have to speculate to accumulate.
Quite frankly the Grandstand was a dilapidated eye sore that restricted the amount of non-match day income the club can make so that will from next season come to an end. Some of the photos on GOS show just how much we needed to sort it out and now, not later.

To try to compare the cobbled together retro fit of the Mayflower with any of the stadiums you refer to is frankly quite amusing. In all those cases those clubs actually increased their capacity, probably to accommodate the extra fans their improved football would generate. In ours we are reducing it. As far as statements of intent go that tells me everything I need to know about where our football club sees itself

All those teams had a plan and a vision and it paid off. In the cases of all four quoted they weren't succeding at any level, their success followed the re-development. The development was responsible for their later success not the other way around

Really? They had benefactors, that was behind their success.

Bournemouth springs to mind

They certainly had people like Madejski at Reading and Pearson at Hull who put the initial cash up because after all stadiums don't build themselves but without the stadium development they would have stayed precisely where they were. The re-development of the stadia was part of the business model that allowed them to grow and become more succesfull. Bournemouth is slightly different as they have a Russian benefactor who has pumped lots of cash into the playing side.

Garside at Bolton, do not forget. All these guys were/are multi-millionaires. Argyle's main shareholders are not in the same quartile, sadly.

Agreed and that's why I think the stand needs doing. Firstly it's showing it's age and must be costing a fair bit just to maintain. Secondly the non-match day income should increase significantly which will benefit the club in years to come.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:53 pm 

Willis88 wrote:
The funds were never available to the team. They were put into the club for the sole purpose of the grandstand.

It seems like we’ve had a similar budget to when we were in league two and obviously have had to give improved contracts to players etc.

Adams can only do so much with what he’s given but you’d think he will go back to a tried and tested formula when the going gets tough... unless it’s because other teams have worked us out - a la the end of last season.

I questioned some of the defensive signings in the summer as they all seemed to be ‘squad’ players rather than improvements on Bradley/Threlkeld.

You’ve got to give him some time, although it does appear like we have wasted pre season and are playing catch up.

We’ve not really been hammered every game we’ve lost either.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:56 pm 

Dalton Is God wrote:

It seems like we’ve had a similar budget to when we were in league two and obviously have had to give improved contracts to players etc.

Adams can only do so much with what he’s given but you’d think he will go back to a tried and tested formula when the going gets tough... unless it’s because other teams have worked us out - a la the end of last season.

I questioned some of the defensive signings in the summer as they all seemed to be ‘squad’ players rather than improvements on Bradley/Threlkeld.

You’ve got to give him some time, although it does appear like we have wasted pre season and are playing catch up.

Just Pompey and Posh - where we were well and truly stuffed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:46 pm 

Dalton Is God wrote:
Willis88 wrote:
The funds were never available to the team. They were put into the club for the sole purpose of the grandstand.

Nope. Budget increased 'materially' at the start of the season. Those saying all the budget was spent on the stadium are talking nonsense

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/ ... ms-1551767

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:04 pm 

Fair bit of knee jerk going on here. We've been here before guys. Getting shot of a manager who has taken us further each season is not a good idea. He WILL turn it around when the right combo is found..we're not far off it. He's made some strange signings..we need to have the threat of Taylor and the speed of Ladapo up front, yes 442. He's stubborn but we need to stick with him, he is a good manager and I don't see what a new manager would bring to the current squad. Probably split it and start again which would set us back another year or so..
Don't know the answer to the current goal drought but I reckon having Ladapo and Taylor together in front of Carey and Ruben, bit off pace on the wings..Wylde and Joel Grant. Back 4.. it isn't working at present...Edwards and Canavan CB and Moore and Sawyer taking normal positions...Songo'o has stood out for me so he'd be in the mix and probably Fox to plug the last place in midfield..

Gotta give it a try surely...Macey is a half decent keeper but needs protection from his CB's

Anyway that's my tuppence worth...Let's not give up on them just yet!! lot of football to be played..just need a win/goal from somewhere

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:11 pm 

Guess you wouldn't make a manager. You can't even choose the right number of players for a team which goes to confirm rest of post is not credible either.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:48 pm 

LOL Oh yeah 13 players..gotta give us a chance..as for your comment on not being credible..its all about opinions pal!

Last edited by Laido on Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:50 pm 

I made it 13. That may be enough.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:54 pm 

Laido wrote:
Balham_Green wrote:
Laido wrote:
Fair bit of knee jerk going on here. We've been here before guys. Getting shot of a manager who has taken us further each season is not a good idea. He WILL turn it around when the right combo is found..we're not far off it. He's made some strange signings..we need to have the threat of Taylor and the speed of Ladapo up front, yes 442. He's stubborn but we need to stick with him, he is a good manager and I don't see what a new manager would bring to the current squad. Probably split it and start again which would set us back another year or so..
Don't know the answer to the current goal drought but I reckon having Ladapo and Taylor together in front of Carey and Ruben, bit off pace on the wings..Wylde and Joel Grant. Back 4.. it isn't working at present...Edwards and Canavan CB and Moore and Sawyer taking normal positions...Songo'o has stood out for me so he'd be in the mix and probably Fox to plug the last place in midfield..

Gotta give it a try surely...Macey is a half decent keeper but needs protection from his CB's

Anyway that's my tuppence worth...Let's not give up on them just yet!! lot of football to be played..just need a win/goal from somewhere

Basically my team would be
Macey
Moore, Canavan, Edwards, Sawyer
j Grant, Lamerias, Carey, Wylde
Taylor, Ladapo

Guess you wouldn't make a manager. You can't even choose the right number of players for a team which goes to confirm rest of post is not credible either.

LOL Oh yeah 13 players..
gotta give us a chance..as for your comment on not being credible..its all about opinions pal!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:04 pm 

Willis88 wrote:

Not true. Adams has stated himself that he now has a top ten budget for this season so if his signings are poor he’s only got himself to blame.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:40 pm 

up_the_line wrote:
Since I Was 33 wrote:

I get your point about the clubs vision for the future, really i do.

But, Let me ask you if you recall our flirt with the top end of the championship all those years ago.

Even when we hit the highest position of 4th, the crowds were barely reaching 17,000. So what’s the point in a 30-40,000 capacity stadium, on the off chance we make the Premiership one day, just to have it half empty.

I’d rather have a small compact full stadium than a nice big shiny super expensive massively over capacitied one.

Think Bournemouth, not Tottenham, Man City et al........

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:44 pm 

JannerinCardiff wrote:
Willis88 wrote:

Not true. Adams has stated himself that he now has a top ten budget for this season so if his signings are poor he’s only got himself to blame.

I was replying to a post where someone stated they shouldn't be wasting the funds on the refurb but put it into the team.

Nothing to do with budget.

I cant remember Adams saying top 10 though

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next