Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy   IJN Payments
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Centre Back issue... (merged)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:30 pm 

It's a tough situation.

Wooton - Good pedigree but in a relegated team last season and wasn't rated at all by their fans, so far for us I think he's looked weak, slow & his positional sense poor.

Edwards - Unpopular thing to say, but I think he's definitely overrated, he's good at winning aerial battles but his positional sense is (like Wooton's) poor and his distribution is Guy Branston-esc.

Canavan - Thought he put in good performances against Coventry & Wycombe, I also hear he played well against Bristol. I'm not saying he's been anything special, but better than the two above.

Grant - We know nothing about him, but considering how poorly we've been defending, he can't be doing brilliantly in training considering he can't even get a place in the squad.

Post subject: Re: The centre backs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:35 pm 

Balham_Green wrote:
Justin wrote:
Balham_Green wrote:
WOOTON Has a good pedigree but then had a serious injury ACL. Perhaps not the same player. Regular in MK Dons relegated team!
CAN AVAN Released by Rochdale having played very few games last season. Hill is a good manager who rarely gets it wrong.
GRANT Released by Falkirk. Way below our level.
Need I say more.

Who says Hill is a good manager?

Playing in a relegation team does not make you a bad player.

Being ‘released’ has become a euphemism but can mean all sorts of things. You just choose to focus on the negative ones.

I say he's a good manager. How many manager's do well at Rochdale and get them up keep them at this level with a small budget?

Do you think Adams is a good manager?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:44 pm 

No. Lucky one. Negative football and dependant on Carey.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:13 pm 

Have a look at his track record.

What defines lucky to you?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:26 pm 

I missed the Peterborough game but up to that point our central defenders (Wootton, Canavan and Edwards) were doing well. We only conceded five goals in the first five games, three of which were penalties and one a free kick outside the box. In the Wycombe and Bristol City games Wootton and Canavan were very impressive as a partnership; we did a lot of defending in both games but looked solid and only conceded one goal. It seems crazy to write them off after one dodgy game against Peterborough. Adams sourced and brought these players to the club so he should show faith in his own judgement and in the players he signed and not discard them after one poor performance (which couldn’t have been that poor considering we only gave up eleven attempts on our goal).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:28 pm 

Wootton was run silly & bullied by both Wycombe & Southend. He's definitely not a starter for me despite his past CV.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:59 pm 

esmer wrote:
I missed the Peterborough game but up to that point our central defenders (Wootton, Canavan and Edwards) were doing well. We only conceded five goals in the first five games, three of which were penalties and one a free kick outside the box. In the Wycombe and Bristol City games Wootton and Canavan were very impressive as a partnership; we did a lot of defending in both games but looked solid and only conceded one goal. It seems crazy to write them off after one dodgy game against Peterborough. Adams sourced and brought these players to the club so he should show faith in his own judgement and in the players he signed and not discard them after one poor performance (which couldn’t have been that poor considering we only gave up eleven attempts on our goal).

Yes wasn't poor just the lucky five goals. Plus a couple of sitters they missed. Unbelievable some of the nonsense on here.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:24 pm 

Cobi Budge wrote:
Wootton was run silly & bullied by both Wycombe & Southend. He's definitely not a starter for me despite his past CV.

We only conceded two goals in those games, one a very soft penalty. The Edwards/Sawyer pairing has conceded six in two games.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:25 pm 

Balham_Green wrote:
esmer wrote:

Yes wasn't poor just the lucky five goals. Plus a couple of sitters they missed. Unbelievable some of the nonsense on here.

A large proportion of it posted by you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:27 pm 

Balham_Green wrote:
esmer wrote:

Nonsense? Does that include denigrating Adams’ consistent achievements in management as ‘lucky’?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:03 pm 

Balham_Green wrote:
esmer wrote:

Just the lucky 87 points in League Two using the same logic.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:45 pm 

Knibbsworth wrote:
Balham_Green wrote:
esmer wrote:

K

Just the lucky 87 points in League Two using the same logic.

What on earth has that logic got to do with letting in 5 v Posh? Totally bizarre.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:36 pm 

It doesn't help that we don't have a settled back four but I don't think any of our CB's are League 1 standard.

Edwards is probably the best of the bunch although that isn't a compliment and he still looks iffy, Wootton looks pretty awful & he was in a side that got relegated from this league last season, Canavan looks like a steady L2 player not much more and he was in a struggling side in this league last season, Peter Grant can't be League one standard if he can't get in ahead of any of the above. Our weakest area & that's down to poor recruitment.

Nothing against O'Keefe but I'd have much rather we looked to get a quick & comfortable Vyner-esc CB in. I thought CB was quite obviously more of a problem area than CM.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next