Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy  
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Trialists you rated but managers didnt
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:49 pm 

There are times when I have seen a trialist and think we have to sign them up,only for the manager to not share my view and they are usually correct as I can't think of many that we tried who have gone on to better things
I remember not long after I started supporting Argyle,it was just after the 86 world cup and we had a trialist called Aharon Fadida,he not only resembled Maradonna but seemed similar in style All be at a much lower level lol
It may have been my young naive age but I couldn't believe when we didn't sign him,but Dave Smith knew best as I think he ended up playing for Saltash lol
Anyone else remember any such occasions ?

Post subject: Re: Trialists you rated but managers didnt
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:18 pm 

I assume Fadida couldn't handle it so well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:20 pm 

Nope lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:21 pm 

None that I fancied but manager didn't, plenty the other way round but also plenty gems came from trials

If pushed I'd say I was impressed with a guy who I think had a decent career at Coventry or Norwich or summin, scored a cracker from 30+yards bout 12 years ago...that's all I've got I'm afraid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:26 pm 

Thanks for that Greenfrom85'. I'd wondered for years what that Maradona lookalike was called, now I know.

Saw him play against Chelsea and Charlton that pre-season, can't recall him making a great impression on me I'm afraid. I think we were turned over about 6-0 in the Charlton game, so perhaps he wasn't the only one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:32 pm 

lipsonlad67 wrote:
Thanks for that Greenfrom85'. I'd wondered for years what that Maradona lookalike was called, now I know.

Saw him play against Chelsea and Charlton that pre-season, can't recall him making a great impression on me I'm afraid. I think we were turned over about 6-0 in the Charlton game, so perhaps he wasn't the only one.

I probably got carried away with the Maradonna resemblance lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:36 pm 
Auction Winner

We had a trialist who scored a worldie in a 7-3 win over Bristol Rovers. We thought he was an absolute shoe-in to sign but Ollie sent him back. I remember nothing except that he was a short-arse. Edit: Wikipedia informs me it was Paul McVeigh.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:02 pm 

Ham Green wrote:
We had a trialist who scored a worldie in a 7-3 win over Bristol Rovers. We thought he was an absolute shoe-in to sign but Ollie sent him back. I remember nothing except that he was a short-arse. Edit: Wikipedia informs me it was Paul McVeigh.

All of 5ft 6in.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:29 pm 

Not necessarily trialists but does anybody remember the "almost" signings of Mario Haas and Jurgen Saumel?

Seemed like they were signing for ages and then never did...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:10 am 

Like all signatures of trialists and apprentice retention decisions they are all by definition largely subjective. Some will come back to bite the manager in the bum, but I reckon they are at least 90% correct. It would be interesting to know whether it is done by committee amongst the coaches at Argyle, or by DA solely.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:42 am 

Thomas Edwards wrote:
Not necessarily trialists but does anybody remember the "almost" signings of Mario Haas and Jurgen Saumel?

Seemed like they were signing for ages and then never did...

Also not a trialist, but I thought Nathan Thomas was an exciting and fantastic player at the time as Sheridan wasn't playing him and wanted him out. Most fans seemed non plussed when we released him. He was the best thing about watching Argyle back then in my opinion, a terrific aggressive threat to have. It didn't surprise me he impressed enough clubs after Argyle to warrant a few big money moves.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:31 am 
Auction Winner

Talking to trialists, remember seeing Luke Daley rip a QPR full back to shreds and was so chuffed we signed him but looked bang average in the league

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:14 am 

Deacster wrote:
Talking to trialists, remember seeing Luke Daley rip a QPR full back to shreds and was so chuffed we signed him but looked bang average in the league

You're being very generous. For my money the worst player i've seen for us and that year we had a few real bad ones. Ladji Soukouna running him very close along with Craig Sutherland. Even madder to think we had Ben Gibson in that squad.