Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy  
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94  Next
 Post subject: Re: Government Brexit Proposal & DD Resignation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:37 am 

Ave_IT wrote:
It's more than that though.........Much more than just rich, xenophobic idiots.......... It is a hardline right wing dream to turn the UK into the Singapore of Europe. A low tax, low wage, totally deregulated economy that isn't burdened with things like workers rights, human rights, animal rights, any 'rights', minimum wage, contracts of employment, environmental laws etc. etc....

Zackly. This is what so many people completely fail to grasp when they slavishly repeat the words of the wealthy politicians, business people and newspaper proprietors who bang on about small government, cutting through all the red tape, deregulating, freeing ourselves from the yoke of those beastly Brussels bureaucrats, and so on.

It's all that "red tape" that protects us (at least to a degree) from the utter toe-rags of this world who will do anything it takes to maximise their own power and profits and who care not a jot for the damage and suffering they inflict while they're at it. The only thing keeping them in check - at least for now - is those pesky regulations.

Even the less toe-raggishly inclined can be tempted to cut corners at the best of times, and if those corners are legally removed, and that mentality passes right through all the supply chains (as it inevitably will because those who maintain their own high standards won't be competitive) what you're left with is a seriously degraded and damaged country and citizenry.

Post subject: Re: Government Brexit Proposal & DD Resignationn
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:45 pm 

Totally agree Micky, it is so easy to settle for the lowering of standards in the chase for a fast buck., and the private firms, individuals and even politicians who are set to gain won't give a flying fig for the consequences of their greed upon the general public who have been 'nudged' into trusting them. (referring to one of your previous posts)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:53 am 

I would have thought Singapore would be an outstanding example for the UK to aspire to. On the majority of international indexes they are very near the top, far above poor old UK, one example being 90% home ownership!!
Check it out!

I have lived and worked there, such a clean, modern and safe country. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:12 am 

greeneagle wrote:
I would have thought Singapore would be an outstanding example for the UK to aspire to. On the majority of international indexes they are very near the top, far above poor old UK, one example being 90% home ownership!!
Check it out!

I have lived and worked there, such a clean, modern and safe country. Just my opinion.

As a 'city-state' tax-haven of 5.5 million, whose goal is to attract the uber-rich by not bothering about things like tax, employment rights, inequality, welfare etc. and turning a blind eye to the 'unacceptable face of Capitalism' ..... it works brilliantly. If you can stomach that the upsides are impressive and given its History who can blame them from making the dash from poverty to become a global commercial hub with one of the highest GDPs per capita in the world in barely a generation?

But as a model for a European nation of 65 million with a long tradition of liberal democracy? Sorry mate - but I'd fight you and anyone else tooth-and-nail to stop such an abomination .......actually, there is a lot I'm very proud of about "the poor old UK".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:20 am 

Ave_IT wrote:
greeneagle wrote:
Check it out!

As a 'city-state' tax-haven of 5.5 million, whose goal is to attract the uber-rich by not bothering about things like tax, employment rights, inequality, welfare etc. and turning a blind eye to the 'unacceptable face of Capitalism' ..... it works brilliantly. If you can stomach that the upsides are impressive and given its History who can blame them from making the dash from poverty to become a global commercial hub with one of the highest GDPs per capita in the world in barely a generation?

But as a model for a European nation of 65 million with a long tradition of liberal democracy? Sorry mate - but I'd fight you and anyone else tooth-and-nail to stop such an abomination .......actually, there is a lot I'm very proud of about "the poor old UK".

And how on earth are we in the UK ever likely to achieve anywhere near 90% home ownership with our current property prices ? We already have Arab, Chinese and Russian billionaires speculating at the top end pushing the ordinary people further down the wealth scale, and this process will only increase as we become a low tax haven where the extremes between wealth and poverty will be more like that of Brazil rather than Singapore.

It will be predominately the young non property owning native population who will lose out in the long term who will be forced to move abroad to better their prospects. Who knows it may be our grandchildren in rubber dingies crossing the channel in the opposite direction.

Last edited by Mike E on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:58 am 

Mike E wrote:
Who knows it may be our grandchildren in rubber dingies crosssing the channel in the opposite direction.

Now there's a picture to conjure with! :) :thumbup: :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:22 pm 
PALFC Sponsor #1 18/19, PALFC Sponsor #2 18/19, PASOTI Punmaster and Player Sponsor #1 18/19

MickyD wrote:
Mike E wrote:
Who knows it may be our grandchildren in rubber dingies crosssing the channel in the opposite direction.

Now there's a picture to conjure with! :) :thumbup: :clap:

You know we can't grow rubber here? We would need a trade agreement with a rubber producing country. :whistle:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:48 pm 

There you go, with your Project Fear. We'd simply convert all the windbags, and we have near-limitless reserves of hot air.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:11 pm 
PALFC Sponsor #1 18/19, PALFC Sponsor #2 18/19, PASOTI Punmaster and Player Sponsor #1 18/19

MickyD wrote:
There you go, with your Project Fear. We'd simply convert all the windbags, and we have near-limitless reserves of hot air.

All sorted. Chris Grayling has signed a £10m contract to supply rubber sourced from a newly formed (but experienced) company in The Independent Republic of Durexia :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:37 pm 

With another Government defeat tonight (albeit not a binding vote), but a significant vote for the EU take notice of, shows absolute chaos, in Parliament, on all sides. There is a majority for nothing.

It proves that it IS a time for a people’s vote. Or just tear up Art 50.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:47 pm 

Martyn wrote:
With another Government defeat tonight (albeit not a binding vote), but a significant vote for the EU take notice of, shows absolute chaos, in Parliament, on all sides. There is a majority for nothing.

It proves that it IS a time for a people’s vote. Or just tear up Art 50.

To lose one vote may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose several looks like carelessness. :whistle:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:50 pm 

Looks like the remain MPs are running down the clock to a no deal Brexit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:56 pm 

Greenrod wrote:
Looks like the remain MPs are running down the clock to a no deal Brexit.

I think you'll find that the 'remain MPs' (is that a thing?) are looking to remain in the EU and won't accept a no deal Brexit.

Remember Theresa promised: 'Brexit means f*ck*p and I'm going to c*ck it up'. So far she is delivering on that pledge!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94  Next