Joe Mason (14 Feb - not coming) | Page 29 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Joe Mason (14 Feb - not coming)

Apr 21, 2007
I don't think anyone really believed this deal would happen. The offer we made to him was probably a token offer rather than a genuine offer that the board believed he would accept. It was just to try and make the fans believe we were trying for a player of his calibre. It seems to be that if we want to make a signing, then we need to be the only club interested, otherwise we will be outbid (even by league 2 teams).

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
The real reason that Mason isn't coming is obviously that he was bitterly disappointed that the number of pages on this thread only made it into the 30s. He would have been expecting AT LEAST the 60s or 70s for a player of his calibre.
And anyway, Adams has spoken too soon. It's not Friday yet - anything could still happen...

[so much is being stated by so many posters here with such certainty that I thought it would be okay to add a bit more truth to the thread]

May 9, 2011
paignton
If he don't want to come OK, it's his choice, he's been playing in the prem/championship, why would he want to drop to LG 1,we had him when he was young, he did us good then, let him move to where he wants to go, no loss to us

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Lost track of how many times I've had to say this on here, but we aren't in the 80's or 90's anymore, attendances are no longer the sole indication of a clubs financial clout, it's so outdated to assume that because a club has more fans, it must have more money.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
MarkMatthews":2x4wud1c said:
Voice_of_Reason":2x4wud1c said:
I think there is very reasonable evidence that location and length of contract weren't the issue.
It doesn't leave a lot else!

Perhaps he didn’t want to work for the manager. Until/if he says why he didn’t come back we will only ever be speculating.

Maybe we went in with wat we valued him at contractually.

He’s done very little and only having spent time at Cardiff and wolves attributing to his credibility. That’s pretty much what people are valuing him at, an ex premiership striker on a free.

Adams has seen his ‘potential’ in this league/team and whilst he’s likely to add something to us he’s still a pretty low scoring, had little game time and had a few injury’s. Some other clubs will take a punt on that with excessive wages and terms but we clearly won’t.

It was a low risk caluculated contract based on what he can do for us and what we could do with him getting his career back on track. He’s obviously motivated more for finance than development and match time so I don’t think Adams has sold us short on contract terms. He’s offered him what he thinks he is worth today which is probably an 18 month contract on £2.5-3k a week. If he gets a 2 year deal on £4-5k a week then I wouldn’t want us to go any where near the negotiating table.

Slightly disappointed with Joe’s decision but utterly approve of Adams stance.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Biggs":3dy931k5 said:
gaspargomez":3dy931k5 said:
Why is that Argyle can't compete financially with other clubs in the bottom two divisions when Home Park has some of the largest gates outside the Championship ?

This sentence has to be Pasoti bingo at this point, surely.

Unless I'm being whooshed :lol:

We haven't got the largest gates outside the Championship!
That is just where the builders have pulled the walls down to get plant and materials in!! :lol:

Oct 16, 2016
Gate receipts have little to do with a clubs position, add it up, subtract the overheads and running costs

People can be so naive

Aug 5, 2016
Sad news, really thought it was going to happen. He would have been beloved if he'd have come back.

That said I did think he must have had some demands to make the Charlton owner turn Bowyer down.

Knibbsworth":papzh2yh said:
Sad news, really thought it was going to happen. He would have been beloved if he'd have come back.

That said I did think he must have had some demands to make the Charlton owner turn Bowyer down.

Just what I had been thinking. I doubt Charlton are low payers by league one standards, so I doubt many clubs at our level will meet his demands.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Emu":2v3de15s said:
gaspargomez":2v3de15s said:
Why is that Argyle can't compete financially with other clubs in the bottom two divisions when Home Park has some of the largest gates outside the Championship ?

Forget this stuff about Mason not fitting into the formation. Adams obviously wanted him but did not have the playing budget. Yet other clubs in League One and Two can afford him it seems.

You keep banging on with the same old record, but attendances in this day and age are just a small influence on club budgets.

Exactly. This query has been covered many times before

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
In the last 3 calendar years, since he joined Wolves in January 2016, Joe Mason has made 54 first team appearances, including loans to Burton (4 games), Colorado Rapids (14) and Portsmouth (1), and scored 10 goals in that time.
At the age of 27, I sincerely hope that he will be given the chance to resurrect his career and realise the potential that he showed at Argyle, Cardiff and Bolton.
However, although it was reasonable for DA to offer him a lifeline at his home club, it would be understandable if that offer was way below the salary that he has been earning for the last 3 years.
As a comparison, in the same 3 year period, Graham Carey has played about 140 games for Argyle and scored about 36 goals with probably as many 'assists'.

Sep 2, 2008
Knibbsworth":2gvsc382 said:

The owner turned Bowyer down because he already had 3 strikers on the books.

Sep 2, 2008
davie nine":63s9s41h said:
In the last 3 calendar years, since he joined Wolves in January 2016, Joe Mason has made 54 first team appearances, including loans to Burton (4 games), Colorado Rapids (14) and Portsmouth (1), and scored 10 goals in that time.
At the age of 27, I sincerely hope that he will be given the chance to resurrect his career and realise the potential that he showed at Argyle, Cardiff and Bolton.
However, although it was reasonable for DA to offer him a lifeline at his home club, it would be understandable if that offer was way below the salary that he has been earning for the last 3 years.
As a comparison, in the same 3 year period, Graham Carey has played about 140 games for Argyle and scored about 36 goals with probably as many 'assists'.

Any salary Argyle offer him will be significantly lower than what he was on at Wolves. Be interesting to see if he's shot himself in the foot by rejecting Adams offer...I for one would much rather have something and the chance of first team football as opposed to getting nothing and twiddling my thumbs.