Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
IJN":uxn3kseq said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngE9RCAdWaE

Fantastic
I always thought the 1970 team was better than the 1966 team, I’m sure if he did not pick up a mysterious illness before the quarter finals against Germany we would have at least got to the final.

Apr 7, 2006
I am sure that he played for Stoke City at Home Park in the Watney Cup game in 1973 as I remember collecting his autograph at the Holiday Inn on the Hoe.

May 31, 2010
Plymouth
Gordon Banks played in goal for Chesterfield at Home Park on March 21st 1959 during the later stages of Argyle's promotion run.
Argyle won the game 2-0 with Jenkins and Carter scoring. Millbrook's Reg Jenkins scored his first ever league goal against 21 year old Banks The previous goalkeeper Ron Powell had made 248 consecutive up to the previous November.
My old Football Herald of the time records that after 8 minutes Banks could only parry a fierce shot by Carter and Jenkins forced it over the line. Over 17000 were in the crowd, including me, but doubt anybody realised that they were watching the early days of an England legend.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
pilgrimB173":1z8kqh3v said:
Gordon Banks played in goal for Chesterfield at Home Park on March 21st 1959 during the later stages of Argyle's promotion run.
Argyle won the game 2-0 with Jenkins and Carter scoring. Millbrook's Reg Jenkins scored his first ever league goal against 21 year old Banks The previous goalkeeper Ron Powell had made 248 consecutive up to the previous November.
My old Football Herald of the time records that after 8 minutes Banks could only parry a fierce shot by Carter and Jenkins forced it over the line. Over 17000 were in the crowd, including me, but doubt anybody realised that they were watching the early days of an England legend.
That information is confirmed on page 35 of our own Memory Man’s book ‘Plymouth Argyle - Thanks for the Memory’. “Jenkins (Reg) and Carter scored in a 2-0 win. The former notched his first goal, pouncing quickly when the young Chesterfield goalkeeper dropped the ball. The goalkeeper’s name was Gordon Banks! It would be another seven years before Reg could appreciate the real significance of just who it was he beat to score his first League goal”.
RIP Gordon Banks.

Feb 12, 2019
I think John Farmer played in goal for Stoke in the Watney Cup tie. Banksy had left the club earlier that summer

I've found a team-sheet for the Football League XI game at Home Park in 1966 which says Peter Bonetti was in goal for the League

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Quintrell_Green":1b4cpgom said:
I always had my own thoughts about the food poisoning he suffered which put him out of the quarter final against Germany in the 1970 World Cup in Mexico. I felt it strange that nobody else in the squad suffered the same problem with eating in the same hotel. Bonetti of Chelsea stood him for him and did not cover himself with the same level of glory. I accept that Alf Ramsey substituting Bobby Charlton when England were winning did not help.

yep lots of dirty tricks afoot in that World Cup including the bobby Moore fiasco...never investigated at the time....banks was a key player after his World Cup save...he was targeted by unknowns...as you say the only England player to be affected despite all the team eating the same food...england were never ever going to win that tournament....

Leo's Grandad

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
Another of our World Cup winners has gone. RIP

Oct 3, 2005
'Lanson'
RIP Gordon Banks, a real gentleman and giant of the game. I sat next to him for the whole of the Stoke game, he had lost an eye in an RTA some weeks before. I was a 15 year old St.John's cadet with my perch on the touchline in front of the dugouts, he was gracious enough to offer me a seat on the bench and kept chatting throughout the game. Lovely man, huge respect.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Sad news, the 66 team is fast disappearing. Saw the Feb 1965 semi final that we lost 1-0 with Banks in goal. I also saw the previous cup game against Northampton who were also in the top tier that season.
Interesting to read that Bonetti played for the Football League team that won 12-0 soon after the world cup. I attended that too and thought Ron Springett was in goal. It was over 50 years ago though.
I agree too that the 1970 team without all the advantages of playing at home was a better team than the 1966 team. The loss of Banks proved costly and with hindsight, saving Charlton for the semi final by subbing him wasn't a great move. We would have been hard pushed to beat Brazil anyway as they were probably the best World Cup winning team ever that year.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Rip Gordon. What a sad loss to football, without doubt one of the greatest keepers of all time. Reading the tributes today, not just from English players, but also the likes of Pele, Buffon, etc., makes you realise what a gentleman he was and an inspiration to so many.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
pilgrimB173":18x73qw4 said:

RIP maestro! :nworthy:

He played for Leicester City at HP in the year before the WC. 10/2/65 Argyle 0 Leicester 1. League Cup semi.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
jerryatricjanner":18jsoxm1 said:
Sad news, the 66 team is fast disappearing. Saw the Feb 1965 semi final that we lost 1-0 with Banks in goal. I also saw the previous cup game against Northampton who were also in the top tier that season.
Interesting to read that Bonetti played for the Football League team that won 12-0 soon after the world cup. I attended that too and thought Ron Springett was in goal. It was over 50 years ago though.
I agree too that the 1970 team without all the advantages of playing at home was a better team than the 1966 team. The loss of Banks proved costly and with hindsight, saving Charlton for the semi final by subbing him wasn't a great move. We would have been hard pushed to beat Brazil anyway as they were probably the best World Cup winning team ever that year.
Ron Springett was in the party that travelled. There is a group photo taken at the Brickfields and Springett is in that (as is John Newman, a colleague of Banks when he first broke into the Leicester side).

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Worthing_Green":1pea6yzh said:
I am sure that he played for Stoke City at Home Park in the Watney Cup game in 1973 as I remember collecting his autograph at the Holiday Inn on the Hoe.
He was injured the year before. The goalkeeper for Stoke that day was John Farmer and he played most of the season.