January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings | Page 20 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings

Sep 6, 2006
themightykeithfear":2qx764k5 said:
Balham_Green":2qx764k5 said:
Letheren looks to have got back in time but then loses his bearings and misses the ball. A keeper beaten ftom the opposition half HAS to be responsible and he will know it.

maybe so but hes a young lad and was his only mistake in the game, give him a break

It was the only thing of note he had to do! Would you say the same if it had cost us 2 points.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
themightykeithfear":1hajno3f said:
Balham_Green":1hajno3f said:
Letheren looks to have got back in time but then loses his bearings and misses the ball. A keeper beaten ftom the opposition half HAS to be responsible and he will know it.

maybe so but hes a young lad and was his only mistake in the game, give him a break

Young? Am I being whooshed?

Kyle turned 31 last month.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
samjones":1ozarzxi said:
Andy_S":1ozarzxi said:
Nobby":1ozarzxi said:
Today further highlighted the need for defensive reinforcements. We cant score three every week.

Oh for crying out loud!

Their first was a penalty - dubious at the very best, ball to hand - not hand to ball!

The second was a fluke! With the wind behind it and the keeper, rightly, off his line (the ball was all but in the opposition half) and the young lad took a punt!

Neither goal had the square root of bugger all to do with any defensive frailties!

Not so much defensive frailties but certainly a need for a proper keeper. Letheren has to take full responsibility for the 2nd goal

Totally agree. I’ve seen the 2nd Southend goal a few times and it’s just a speculative shot that whilst Letheren gets back to try to save it, he completely loses the flight of the ball and makes a hash of it. Poor goalkeeping to me, as I would expect most keepers to keep that effort out of the net. I still think we need a quality keeper, we are weak in that area. I hope DA recognises this and if Macey could go back to Arsenal that DA brings in a new keeper .. Matthews would be my 1st choice.

May 8, 2011
JannerinCardiff":1wojk81w said:
samjones":1wojk81w said:
Andy_S":1wojk81w said:
Nobby":1wojk81w said:
Today further highlighted the need for defensive reinforcements. We cant score three every week.

Oh for crying out loud!

Their first was a penalty - dubious at the very best, ball to hand - not hand to ball!

The second was a fluke! With the wind behind it and the keeper, rightly, off his line (the ball was all but in the opposition half) and the young lad took a punt!

Neither goal had the square root of bugger all to do with any defensive frailties!

Not so much defensive frailties but certainly a need for a proper keeper. Letheren has to take full responsibility for the 2nd goal

Totally agree. I’ve seen the 2nd Southend goal a few times and it’s just a speculative shot that whilst Letheren gets back to try to save it, he completely loses the flight of the ball and makes a hash of it. Poor goalkeeping to me, as I would expect most keepers to keep that effort out of the net. I still think we need a quality keeper, we are weak in that area. I hope DA recognises this and if Macey could go back to Arsenal that DA brings in a new keeper .. Matthews would be my 1st choice.

Despite Matthews also being error prone, like his mistake at Portsmouth last year that cost us 2 points?

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
I'm not so sure i'm on this Matthews love bus. He has a rick in him as well. More commanding than Macey and more of a voice but Macey is a much better shot stopper IMO. Matthews coincided with our marvellous run last season. No accident i'm sure but he was THAT good as to be the saviour!
Right now we are on the edge of putting a run together with our No 2 being a solid understudy and being quite able. Yes 1 mistake, but worth dropping for? In the long run, yes we need to sign a good long term keeper. Kell Roos for me but that won't happen.

Sep 19, 2015
Every goalkeeper at every level has a howler in him, this is only highlighted more than other positions as it usually leads to conceding a goal.

Kyle is OK at this level and is much more commanding and vocal than Macey. Matthews would be a massive improvement on them both though.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Andy_S":689ainm0 said:
Nobby":689ainm0 said:

Oh for crying out loud!

I won’t dispute that the goals were more unfortunate than other times, but my point is wider than just that one game. We’re not going to score three goals every week and if that is the case, we will lose more than we win. Goals conceded are goals conceded however they go in. Surely you can’t dispute we desperately need a central defender and possibly a keeper?

Beyton Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 19, 2005
Why is everyone (a lot of people) not prepared to give Letheren lots of credit for our mini 3 game run.

Aug 17, 2018
Beyton_Green":2m7eribt said:
Why is everyone (a lot of people) not prepared to give Letheren lots of credit for our mini 3 game run.

This, I feel we are lucky to have a seasoned GK like Letheren as a back up to the team.

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Pettgreen":1nu5l7z0 said:
I'm not so sure i'm on this Matthews love bus. He has a rick in him as well. More commanding than Macey and more of a voice but Macey is a much better shot stopper IMO. Matthews coincided with our marvellous run last season. No accident i'm sure but he was THAT good as to be the saviour!

Right now we are on the edge of putting a run together with our No 2 being a solid understudy and being quite able. Yes 1 mistake, but worth dropping for? In the long run, yes we need to sign a good long term keeper. Kell Roos for me but that won't happen.

This...Roos was the more impressive of the two

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
homepark_hobo":hpl2uu3x said:
Beyton_Green":hpl2uu3x said:

This, I feel we are lucky to have a seasoned GK like Letheren as a back up to the team.

Backup is the important word here.

Jun 24, 2008
Nobby":2po5hz10 said:
homepark_hobo":2po5hz10 said:
Beyton_Green":2po5hz10 said:

Backup is the important word here.

Agreed, Letheren is good back up. If Wikipedia can be trusted, then his stats state at 31 years of age he has less then 100 games over his career. Most starts coming from a season in National League with York. This suggests he is a journeyman back up keeper. Previous managers and coaches must all feel that's his role and he must've been happy with that over his career. Which in my opinion shows a lack of desire to be number 1, or ability to be a number 1.

His recent starts that coincide with our 2 wins is of course great but there was 2 massive errors in my opinion. The halfway line goal and the oxford ball catch with luckily did not end up in the net. Macey also has been poor but at League 1 level in a team which needs to be climbing the league, neither are good enough to be number one. That to me seems completely obvious.

EDIT TO ADD: This doesn't mean I disagree with him being between the posts. I would rather him then Macey, I think he deserves his chance currently. Macey has been shameful. However,I would hope signing a player with the intention to play ahead of both is high up on the agenda!!

The curious case of Kyle Letheren.....

Why he's content to make a living as a back up I've no idea, but it seems he's content with that as have been many managers.

However,his appearance in the team has led to an upturn in results and he deserves credit for his part in a more settled defence and team. Well done Kyle, I'd keep him in the team for a while unless we sign someone better than him and Macey.