Centre Back issue... (merged) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Centre Back issue... (merged)

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
It doesn't help that we don't have a settled back four but I don't think any of our CB's are League 1 standard.

Edwards is probably the best of the bunch although that isn't a compliment and he still looks iffy, Wootton looks pretty awful & he was in a side that got relegated from this league last season, Canavan looks like a steady L2 player not much more and he was in a struggling side in this league last season, Peter Grant can't be League one standard if he can't get in ahead of any of the above. Our weakest area & that's down to poor recruitment.

Nothing against O'Keefe but I'd have much rather we looked to get a quick & comfortable Vyner-esc CB in. I thought CB was quite obviously more of a problem area than CM.

Sep 18, 2010
When have fullbacks made good central defenders and central defenders made good fullbacks????

Very, very rare in pro football.

Sawyer is not the answer. Was completely out of his depth at Portsmouth until their number 9 went off injured.

Clutching at straws if we play him there.

Aug 11, 2013
If your final offer to Sonny fell short of his demands by £300 a week would you have backed down and paid it [whistling emoji]?

Nov 2, 2004
Not heard anything official but Canavans injury on Saturday looked to be a serious one (groin).A type of injury that takes a long time to fix. That leaves us without any choice but to try and get Edwards and Wootton working as a partnership.For this to work Edwards needs to regain his confidence, he appears to enter a state of panic every time the ball comes near him.He never possessed pace but he did have composure, fingers crossed this returns with a decent result.I do think it would be a good idea to move Sawyer to right back and recall Brown to left back.In his last two games Brown had a couple of defensive disasters, caused mostly by a lack of urgency.He is a promising player and has served his sentence.Riley looks shot of confidence,he spent half of Saturday shaking his head and Moore is just nowhere near ready for first team football. This back four would need to be persevered with,we cannot keep changing the team.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
I think Edwards will be OK – needs a bit of time but we know he can be good in a settled defence and pops up with a goal or two – but I would be seriously looking for a loanee. Oh for another Elliott Ward !! ………. Remember how he transformed us under Pulis? I gather he’s at Notts County now but well into his thirties.

Jul 6, 2011
Danknight98":3kjq4pqs said:
Derek Adams in his post-match presser summed up what we were all thinking about our defending today: “To defend the way we did, I have had to take off three centre-halves in the game, which is unheard of."
Now, more to the point: What do we do with our centre backs? both Canavan and Wootton were abysmal in every aspect today, whilst Wootton hasn't performed at all since joining. Canavan has been more convincing but was woefully exposed by Godden and Cummings. Meanwhile Songo'o failed to protect the back 4 at all.

My question is, what does Derek do? And does he need to change the centre backs completely? Peter Grant hasn't had a chance at all. Gary Sawyer is capable of playing there, and Ryan Edwards must surely crop up as an option. It is however very worrying how poor the replacements of Sonny Bradley and Zak Vyner have been. :sigh:

How about for a start we put Fox on for Songóo? Yann is a fitsn'starts man who isn't consistent enough, Fox is the glue of the team, he like Lameiras needs to play.

Sep 6, 2006
ealinggreen":bpid9ckc said:
Not heard anything official but Canavans injury on Saturday looked to be a serious one (groin).A type of injury that takes a long time to fix. That leaves us without any choice but to try and get Edwards and Wootton working as a partnership.For this to work Edwards needs to regain his confidence, he appears to enter a state of panic every time the ball comes near him.He never possessed pace but he did have composure, fingers crossed this returns with a decent result.I do think it would be a good idea to move Sawyer to right back and recall Brown to left back.In his last two games Brown had a couple of defensive disasters, caused mostly by a lack of urgency.He is a promising player and has served his sentence.Riley looks shot of confidence,he spent half of Saturday shaking his head and Moore is just nowhere near ready for first team football. This back four would need to be persevered with,we cannot keep changing the team.

You have no idea if Canavan injury is serious or not do you?

Sep 6, 2006
briangreen":kmrepya6 said:
Danknight98":kmrepya6 said:
Derek Adams in his post-match presser summed up what we were all thinking about our defending today: “To defend the way we did, I have had to take off three centre-halves in the game, which is unheard of."
Now, more to the point: What do we do with our centre backs? both Canavan and Wootton were abysmal in every aspect today, whilst Wootton hasn't performed at all since joining. Canavan has been more convincing but was woefully exposed by Godden and Cummings. Meanwhile Songo'o failed to protect the back 4 at all.

My question is, what does Derek do? And does he need to change the centre backs completely? Peter Grant hasn't had a chance at all. Gary Sawyer is capable of playing there, and Ryan Edwards must surely crop up as an option. It is however very worrying how poor the replacements of Sonny Bradley and Zak Vyner have been. :sigh:

How about for a start we put Fox on for Songóo? Yann is a fitsn'starts man who isn't consistent enough, Fox is the glue of the team, he like Lameiras needs to play.

Take it you weren't there on Saturday? He was our best player. So when we have lots of players off form let's drop one of the players who is! Clueless.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
briangreen":16ms7xyv said:
Danknight98":16ms7xyv said:

Songo was our best player on Saturday – a bloke behind me was calling him “the black Pirlo” :lol: - some of his passes were unbelievable at times to be fair. Agree about Lameiras though - he has to start after his cameo appearance transformed our attacking threat.

Nov 2, 2004
Balham_Green":3tbmsgr5 said:
ealinggreen":3tbmsgr5 said:

Do you have to row with everyone,you are a very strange chap.As it happens the incident was right in front of me,I played at a decent level and suffered what looks to be the same injury.I was out for 6 months.Hope I am wrong but thats what my opinion is based on.What is your opinion? I suspect you do not have one.

Sep 6, 2006
ealinggreen":2ldgv10s said:
Balham_Green":2ldgv10s said:
ealinggreen":2ldgv10s said:

Do you have to row with everyone,you are a very strange chap.As it happens the incident was right in front of me,I played at a decent level and suffered what looks to be the same injury.I was out for 6 months.Hope I am wrong but thats what my opinion is based on.What is your opinion? I suspect you do not have one.

No I don't have an opinion as I have no idea what the injury is whereas you are making something up when you don't have a clue. Could be a mild strain could be a tear. You certainly can't tell because 'the incident was right in front of you'.

Balham_Green":3i24zmx9 said:
ealinggreen":3i24zmx9 said:
As it happens the incident was right in front of me,I played at a decent level and suffered what looks to be the same injury.I was out for 6 months.Hope I am wrong but thats what my opinion is based on.What is your opinion? I suspect you do not have one.

No I don't have an opinion as I have no idea what the injury is whereas you are making something up when you don't have a clue. Could be a mild strain could be a tear. You certainly can't tell because 'the incident was right in front of you'.

You have an awful lot to say given that you don't have an opinion.