Paying off his contract | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Paying off his contract

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Biggs":jxu8cnqz said:
Since I Was 33":jxu8cnqz said:
At the end of the day the grandstand needs doing. It was well overdue and we will benefit for years to come from the development

This.

League position is temporary, the stadium and its facilities are permanent.

Plus attracting players is linked to the standard of facilities anyway. Upping sticks to come to Plymouth is a hard decision in the first place, imagine coming all the way to HP and seeing your new place of work is a crumbling and dilapidated hulk of concrete.

Not as simple as that because football in the non league with a shiny gin palace and no crowds doesn't pay the new bills either.

There has to be a balance. Sadly in the past when we have had the chance to push on and up the leagues the owners have always been too conservative. How many January transfer windows have we seen quality players leave or players not added to the squad to get over the line.

Sometimes you have to take a calculated risk.

Not many teams in League 1 have crowds like us or big budgets and TBH with DA's record I'm not sure I would want him handling my £500k for players

Aug 5, 2016
The board and Adams seem content to be building a long term club together.

Maybe Adams is happy to wait for the redevelopment, for the additional income to trickle in, but has to get through the initial years punching above his weight with a budget no better than clubs on 5,000 attendances.

Yes it means losing the likes of Bradley, Nelson, possibly Carey soon, but it's a period Adams needs to get to getting the absolute maximum out of his budget to compete. Is there a manager more qualified to do it? What's the alternative, Phil Brown, or another coach from the merry-go-round? Are they delivering a play off finish with signings of the kind we have, players spotted playing for Grimsby, Falkirk and Wycombe last season, or bench options from other clubs at this level such as Ladapo, Canavan, Riley and Conor Grant.

Those players are our starting team now, that's the reality. Is a formation tweak and a different training preparation going to turn them into world beaters? If not it's an expensive decision to pay Adams up in desperation for a 14th place finish, when no manager has better recent form for turning such desperate form around.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Shankster":2gwssjxa said:
A lovely shiny stand and stadium

I bet Bolton and Sunderland fans are in agreement with those on here who constantly bang on about a bloody stadium week in week out, after all they have lovely big (empty) stadiums with lovely facilities . Z

They’re where they are because of appalling management, not their stadiums. Their new grounds were the catalyst for their extended stays in the Premier League, which they couldn’t have achieved at Burnden or Roker Park.

It beggars belief that suddenly we don’t need to replace our dilapidated, crumbling, embarrassment of a stand, that also serves as our main club facility.

There are all sorts of reactive ramblings going on today, but the idea that we don’t need a new grandstand is by far the barmiest. It’s what happened when things are going badly on the pitch though, there has to be a scapegoat.

A

andyr1963

Knibbsworth":1eunamzv said:
Derek Adams was always brought in to get success out of freebies and bargain bucket signings while the Grandstand took priority.

I don't see any other manager out there more qualified than DA to other sort this season out, or get us to the Championship on a restricted budget.

Nailed on. :scarf: :thumbs:

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
It isn’t and never was a case of stand vs. squad.

The money injected for the redevelopment is tantamount to a gift, given the repayment plan. I didn’t see a queue of others willing to do the same. The work is badly needed and will be a benefit in the future.

A terrible start doesn’t change that. Bashing the board for not binning Adams is a perfectly fair opinion in these circumstances. Bashing them for improving the facilities really isn’t.

Apr 12, 2016
Hull City, Bolton, Swansea, Reading and you could probably pick a few others were all clubs that built new stadiums or re-developed the old ones when they were low in the leagues. I'm sure their fans complained in the same way about money spent on development but in all those cases the clubs were playing in the top level within a few years. At the end of the day you have to speculate to accumulate.
Quite frankly the Grandstand was a dilapidated eye sore that restricted the amount of non-match day income the club can make so that will from next season come to an end. Some of the photos on GOS show just how much we needed to sort it out and now, not later.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Since I Was 33":3n32mb8d said:
Hull City, Bolton, Swansea, Reading and you could probably pick a few others were all clubs that built new stadiums or re-developed the old ones when they were low in the leagues. I'm sure their fans complained in the same way about money spent on development but in all those cases the clubs were playing in the top level within a few years. At the end of the day you have to speculate to accumulate.
Quite frankly the Grandstand was a dilapidated eye sore that restricted the amount of non-match day income the club can make so that will from next season come to an end. Some of the photos on GOS show just how much we needed to sort it out and now, not later.

To try to compare the cobbled together retro fit of the Mayflower with any of the stadiums you refer to is frankly quite amusing. In all those cases those clubs actually increased their capacity, probably to accommodate the extra fans their improved football would generate. In ours we are reducing it. As far as statements of intent go that tells me everything I need to know about where our football club sees itself

Apr 12, 2016
up_the_line":19zla73u said:
Since I Was 33":19zla73u said:

To try to compare the cobbled together retro fit of the Mayflower with any of the stadiums you refer to is frankly quite amusing. In all those cases those clubs actually increased their capacity, probably to accommodate the extra fans their improved football would generate. In ours we are reducing it. As far as statements of intent go that tells me everything I need to know about where our football club sees itself
All those teams had a plan and a vision and it paid off. In the cases of all four quoted they weren't succeding at any level, their success followed the re-development. The development was responsible for their later success not the other way around

Oct 16, 2016
Since I Was 33":3gxuefjr said:
up_the_line":3gxuefjr said:
Since I Was 33":3gxuefjr said:

All those teams had a plan and a vision and it paid off. In the cases of all four quoted they weren't succeding at any level, their success followed the re-development. The development was responsible for their later success not the other way around

Really? They had benefactors, that was behind their success.

Bournemouth springs to mind

Apr 12, 2016
Shankster":jyljir6c said:
Since I Was 33":jyljir6c said:
up_the_line":jyljir6c said:
Since I Was 33":jyljir6c said:

They certainly had people like Madejski at Reading and Pearson at Hull who put the initial cash up because after all stadiums don't build themselves but without the stadium development they would have stayed precisely where they were. The re-development of the stadia was part of the business model that allowed them to grow and become more succesfull. Bournemouth is slightly different as they have a Russian benefactor who has pumped lots of cash into the playing side.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Since I Was 33":mgh3rum0 said:
Shankster":mgh3rum0 said:
up_the_line":mgh3rum0 said:

They certainly had people like Madejski at Reading and Pearson at Hull who put the initial cash up because after all stadiums don't build themselves but without the stadium development they would have stayed precisely where they were. The re-development of the stadia was part of the business model that allowed them to grow and become more succesfull. Bournemouth is slightly different as they have a Russian benefactor who has pumped lots of cash into the playing side.

Garside at Bolton, do not forget. All these guys were/are multi-millionaires. Argyle's main shareholders are not in the same quartile, sadly.

Apr 12, 2016
Quintrell_Green":1fi74or8 said:
Since I Was 33":1fi74or8 said:
Shankster":1fi74or8 said:
up_the_line":1fi74or8 said:

Garside at Bolton, do not forget. All these guys were/are multi-millionaires. Argyle's main shareholders are not in the same quartile, sadly.
Agreed and that's why I think the stand needs doing. Firstly it's showing it's age and must be costing a fair bit just to maintain. Secondly the non-match day income should increase significantly which will benefit the club in years to come.

Sep 25, 2003
Carbis Bay
Willis88":91k6zd8i said:
The funds were never available to the team. They were put into the club for the sole purpose of the grandstand.

It seems like we’ve had a similar budget to when we were in league two and obviously have had to give improved contracts to players etc.

Adams can only do so much with what he’s given but you’d think he will go back to a tried and tested formula when the going gets tough... unless it’s because other teams have worked us out - a la the end of last season.

I questioned some of the defensive signings in the summer as they all seemed to be ‘squad’ players rather than improvements on Bradley/Threlkeld.

You’ve got to give him some time, although it does appear like we have wasted pre season and are playing catch up.

We’ve not really been hammered every game we’ve lost either.

Apr 15, 2008
London
Dalton Is God":3utha9wn said:
It seems like we’ve had a similar budget to when we were in league two and obviously have had to give improved contracts to players etc.

Adams can only do so much with what he’s given but you’d think he will go back to a tried and tested formula when the going gets tough... unless it’s because other teams have worked us out - a la the end of last season.

I questioned some of the defensive signings in the summer as they all seemed to be ‘squad’ players rather than improvements on Bradley/Threlkeld.

You’ve got to give him some time, although it does appear like we have wasted pre season and are playing catch up.

Just Pompey and Posh - where we were well and truly stuffed.

Aug 5, 2005
Dalton Is God":33pfjtzt said:
Willis88":33pfjtzt said:
The funds were never available to the team. They were put into the club for the sole purpose of the grandstand.

Nope. Budget increased 'materially' at the start of the season. Those saying all the budget was spent on the stadium are talking nonsense

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/ ... ms-1551767