Adams - Further sanctions | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Adams - Further sanctions

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Forest of Dean Green":ge79alkn said:
Cobi Budge":ge79alkn said:
I wasn't going to weigh in this heavily but I've got to be honest and say that I think some of the stuff posted on this thread is absolute garbage.

It almost seems like some people just want Adams to fail, and because they can't go after his record as a manager they're going to unfairly go after his character.

When we first appointed Adams, with the reports we were getting from Scottish fans & media, I was expecting this short tempered, controversial figure who would have weekly bust ups with opponents and maybe even his own players. I don't think that could be more wrong. What I've seen is a composed, sensible manager who very rarely looses his temper, and simply tries to gain a psychological edge at times. The vast majority of the time, Adams looks calm and composed in his thoughts on the touch line, like ALL managers, he occasionally becomes animated and these incidents are magnified in the media & therefore blown up.

As a fan I don't 'excuse' Adams for his 'antics' because I don't believe I need to. I'm happy to have a manager who cares about this club, a manager who has committed his long term future to the club, a manager who embraces the club, the fan base and the local community. On the occasions I've spoken to Derek Adams and asked him questions, I've always found him to be very polite, interested and very attentative to fans.

When he arrived at Argyle, he said "I'll look after your football club" and for me, he hasn't let us down in the slightest.

:clap: :clap: :clap: . Accurate assessment to the word in my book Cobi
Agreed - very good post CĆ²bi. However, UTL has a point that Chris Powell is widely regarded as one of football's 'nice' guys so his actions were very out of character (apparently). So presumably DA did say or do something quite bad to provoke him? - or maybe even nice blokes sometimes lose it in the heat of the moment? - or more likely it was a bit if both where DA and CP both went a bit OTT and behaved badly....... but Hey, no one died, no,one was hurt, and I very much doubt either harbours any grudge. So what the Hell?

Mar 14, 2009
There is no Adams agenda from me in terms of wanting or getting him out of the football club. Adams will still be the Argyle manager even if we were relegated back to league two this season. Brent sees the future with Adams at the helm and even if he gets it badly wrong this season l think Brent gave him that 5 year deal because he trusts and believes him to get it right.

So this club, until Adams decides, will be run by him.

So l really am not wasting my breath thinking ā€œAdams outā€ at any stage of any post I make.

Adams has got a 46% win ratio at Argyle. He is a manager who seemingly knows how to win more games than he loses. Being a successful manager means most fans with tolerate anything if their club is successful. I think that is why fans will always be on his side regarding his behaviour.

He isnā€™t going to fail because he has run ins with other managers and officials.

However it isnā€™t garbage when you see at Ross County he had an 18 game touchline ban. For the way he dealt with officials. This happened in 2010. So what are we saying? This type of fact is an inconvenient truth when describing his displinary record? I donā€™t care who you are to be banned for that length of time shows some kind of indiscipline issue. Especially when that ban covers more than one incident.

Ever since this time he has continued to have run ins with officials and managers in Scotland and England. The man has passion. Iā€™ve got no problem with that. Itā€™s great he cares.

You can differentiate between the different types of Derek Adams you may encounter. The Derek Adams that meets a fan is going to be different to the Derek Adams whoā€™s involved in a high intensity match day environment. Iā€™m sorry but there must be a number of nice mangers before or after a football match, but during it they are a different animal. Just like Derek Adams.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ‡³šŸ‡æ
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 15, 2003
Cobi Budge":mv4f03zx said:
I wasn't going to weigh in this heavily but I've got to be honest and say that I think some of the stuff posted on this thread is absolute garbage.

It almost seems like some people just want Adams to fail, and because they can't go after his record as a manager they're going to unfairly go after his character.

When we first appointed Adams, with the reports we were getting from Scottish fans & media, I was expecting this short tempered, controversial figure who would have weekly bust ups with opponents and maybe even his own players. I don't think that could be more wrong. What I've seen is a composed, sensible manager who very rarely looses his temper, and simply tries to gain a psychological edge at times. The vast majority of the time, Adams looks calm and composed in his thoughts on the touch line, like ALL managers, he occasionally becomes animated and these incidents are magnified in the media & therefore blown up.

As a fan I don't 'excuse' Adams for his 'antics' because I don't believe I need to. I'm happy to have a manager who cares about this club, a manager who has committed his long term future to the club, a manager who embraces the club, the fan base and the local community. On the occasions I've spoken to Derek Adams and asked him questions, I've always found him to be very polite, interested and very attentative to fans.

When he arrived at Argyle, he said "I'll look after your football club" and for me, he hasn't let us down in the slightest.

Good post Cobi.

Agreed that there are some out there that desperately want DA to fail. Hell, they are that desperate that they want Argyle to fail...full stop!

I read an article on DA when he was appointed. Swearing? I doubt it very, very much. DA is a God-fearing Baptist and as such, profanities would not be used under any circumstances.

As for Powell...I'll take DA's word over Powell's, any day of the week.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Cobi Budge":1nk55scs said:

couldn't agree more.derek understands the supporters.there will always be the "english ailment" of wanting someone who is doing well to fail.i see this frequently in my business.

Oct 24, 2010
I'd put good money on that Adams and Powell have already had a telephone conversation joking about it and telling each other what idiots they were. Heat of the moment stuff. I would also guess that Adams gets on very well with Gareth Ainsworth, not so sure about Steve Evans though.

Jul 18, 2011
Metal_Green_Mickey":106gdaqn said:
There is no Adams agenda from me in terms of wanting or getting him out of the football club. Adams will still be the Argyle manager even if we were relegated back to league two this season. Brent sees the future with Adams at the helm and even if he gets it badly wrong this season l think Brent gave him that 5 year deal because he trusts and believes him to get it right.

So this club, until Adams decides, will be run by him.

So l really am not wasting my breath thinking ā€œAdams outā€ at any stage of any post I make.

Adams has got a 46% win ratio at Argyle. He is a manager who seemingly knows how to win more games than he loses. Being a successful manager means most fans with tolerate anything if their club is successful. I think that is why fans will always be on his side regarding his behaviour.

He isnā€™t going to fail because he has run ins with other managers and officials.

However it isnā€™t garbage when you see at Ross County he had an 18 game touchline ban. For the way he dealt with officials. This happened in 2010. So what are we saying? This type of fact is an inconvenient truth when describing his displinary record? I donā€™t care who you are to be banned for that length of time shows some kind of indiscipline issue. Especially when that ban covers more than one incident.

Ever since this time he has continued to have run ins with officials and managers in Scotland and England. The man has passion. Iā€™ve got no problem with that. Itā€™s great he cares.

You can differentiate between the different types of Derek Adams you may encounter. The Derek Adams that meets a fan is going to be different to the Derek Adams whoā€™s involved in a high intensity match day environment. Iā€™m sorry but there must be a number of nice mangers before or after a football match, but during it they are a different animal. Just like Derek Adams.

Sorry, absolute rubbish. That was 8 years ago when he last had a serious problem, he has been in charge of teams for around 500 games since then. Pretty much every manager has had problems similar to what happened on Saturday so making it sound like an ongoing and permanent behaviour is neither fair nor accurate.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Agree with Cobi on this. Mickey is bringing up his Ross County ban from 2010, simply because thereā€™s been nothing at Argyle to point to a consistent disciplinary issue. Every single manager has confrontations throughout a season, but even on Saturday it seemed to be Powell who snapped first.

I too was expecting fireworks after his time in Scotland, but we simply havenā€™t seen them and instead have witnessed a mostly calm presence both on the touchline and in interviews.

Itā€™s worth reestablishing that Ross County was his first job as a young manager, and the likelihood is that heā€™s found ways to cope with anger and stress since then. It would certainly make sense for such an analytical and reflective man to do so.

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
My view before Saturday was that Adams was going struggle with the new rules. The reason being solely he winds every opposition manager and player up; we all know someone like that. You donā€™t have to swear to be an irritating @rse.

The risk was always that another manager or player would react and boom. To be honest with Wycombe and Peterborough coming up soon I thought heā€™d last a bit longer.

He will have to learn. Letā€™s move on. He is a great manager btw.

Jun 24, 2008
Cobi Budge":1fmtu985 said:

Agree with every word and couldn't of put it better.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Tony_Flags":nd85nxid said:
My view before Saturday was that Adams was going struggle with the new rules. The reason being solely he winds every opposition manager and player up; we all know someone like that. You donā€™t have to swear to be an irritating @rse.

The risk was always that another manager or player would react and boom. To be honest with Wycombe and Peterborough coming up soon I thought heā€™d last a bit longer.

Very true. To be honest I'm disappointed the first blow up happened with 'nice guy' Chris Powell - I'd love to see it against Ainsworth or Evans ........ does that make me a bad person ? :oops:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Ave_IT":8qbz7v60 said:
Tony_Flags":8qbz7v60 said:

Very true. To be honest I'm disappointed the first blow up happened with 'nice guy' Chris Powell - I'd love to see it against Ainsworth or Evans ........ does that make me a bad person ? :oops:

If I was going at it with someone, I'd choose a nice guy every time. It's called sensible self preservation.
Chris Powell will shake hands and make up with you. If it was the other two you'd never feel safe in their presence again and would never ever turn your back on them!!

May 8, 2011
An interesting point about the new rule is that if Wotton, Nancekivell or any of the other back room staff breaks the rules it will be Adams as manager who will get the yellow or red card.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Pogleswoody":2zk49a07 said:
Ave_IT":2zk49a07 said:
Tony_Flags":2zk49a07 said:

If I was going at it with someone, I'd choose a nice guy every time. It's called sensible self preservation.
Chris Powell will shake hands and make up with you. If it was the other two you'd never feel safe in their presence again and would never ever turn your back on them!!
:) Good point - especially with Evans ...... allegedly :whistle:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Last paragraph on official website topic headed 'Robins Next' :-

Derek has been cited by the FA for misconduct follow his sending off against Southend at the weekend, but he will be in the dugout at Ashton Gate.