Adams - Further sanctions | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Adams - Further sanctions

May 8, 2011
up_the_line":1cuf5loh said:
HC Green":1cuf5loh said:
up_the_line":1cuf5loh said:
Cobi Budge":1cuf5loh said:
I'm pretty sure this is the first time he's been sent off for us in over 3 seasons in charge, therefore I'm not sure how it's apparently becoming a 'pattern'.

Not him being sent off, oooooobviously
More the almost weekly bust ups with opposition managers
We're quick to point the finger at Ainsworth, Evans, Ferguson and now probably Powell but there's a common denominator. I'd rather Adams got our players fired up to put in a gut busting performance than routinely getting into spats on the touchline.
If Ainsworth goes into wind up mode when Wycombe visit I hope not to hear too much complaining from the same people who would applaud Adams for his antics

When you say ‘almost weekly’ you actually mean not very often. Most opposition managers don’t agree with his post match summaries not his actions. Can’t remember the last time we’ve seen Adams so animated at a match.

I can remember him this animated. When he inflamed an already volatile situation by sarcastically waving at the Bristol Rovers fans without a thought for the security staff etc who were already dealing with a very angry mob.

Was that a bust up with an opposition manager?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
IJN":7qxv4c3t said:
There's a double negative in your second paragraph Tuggers.
You know what I mean :lol:

Heathrow Green

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 12, 2011
An airport just outside London
Cobi Budge":1xljyqt2 said:
I'm pretty sure this is the first time he's been sent off for us in over 3 seasons in charge, therefore I'm not sure how it's apparently becoming a 'pattern'.

This. I mentioned it in the live chat.
It looks to be an odd one. I’ve seen him agitated before but always under control. I’d have to see exactly what went on.

If he’s been accused of swearing, I’d seriously need to hear it, because I understand he does not swear.

Aug 5, 2016
up_the_line":1flszl7m said:
Tugboat":1flszl7m said:
Get a grip ffs UTL.

You seem hell bent on berating anything remotely negative to do with Argyle.

Why even bother with Argyle at all i it makes you so miserable?

All I'm saying is we could do with Adams toning down his wind up tactics and theatrics. I'd prefer him not to be getting on the wrong side of every other club we play and making us a team they love to beat. As I said Powell is regarded as one of football's nice guys, I can't imagine he'd have tried to strangle Adams without verbal provocation. Players winding each other up happens I get it, but managers should be able to reign it in

It's quite odd you suddenly seem interested in the importance of being seen as a nice positive personality. Given your persona on these boards at least. Remember when Argyle were picking up points left right and centre, everyone was in a good mood and there was nothing to moan about, so you logged out for five months?

Anyone would be forgiven for thinking you've just picked up the latest possible stick you could beat DA with. For having a touchline argument. You make out he's got some kind of psychiatric temperament problem when he hasn't had a case to answer with the FA in the three previous seasons he's been at Argyle. You should have a think to yourself as a supporter about what it is you actually 'support'? It genuinely eludes me.

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
up_the_line":2ufhandl said:
Cobi Budge":2ufhandl said:
Not him being sent off, oooooobviously
More the almost weekly bust ups with opposition managers
We're quick to point the finger at Ainsworth, Evans, Ferguson and now probably Powell but there's a common denominator. I'd rather Adams got our players fired up to put in a gut busting performance than routinely getting into spats on the touchline.
If Ainsworth goes into wind up mode when Wycombe visit I hope not to hear too much complaining from the same people who would applaud Adams for his antics
If it was weekly bust ups with opposition managers then maybe - but it's not.

If he was routinely getting into spats on the touchline then maybe - but he's not.

So what's your point?

Aug 2, 2011
up_the_line":3fm6mleg said:
Tugboat":3fm6mleg said:
Get a grip ffs UTL.

You seem hell bent on berating anything remotely negative to do with Argyle.

Why even bother with Argyle at all i it makes you so miserable?

All I'm saying is we could do with Adams toning down his wind up tactics and theatrics. I'd prefer him not to be getting on the wrong side of every other club we play and making us a team they love to beat. As I said Powell is regarded as one of football's nice guys, I can't imagine he'd have tried to strangle Adams without verbal provocation. Players winding each other up happens I get it, but managers should be able to reign it in

I am not convinced UTL is a regular attendee of matches. DA is general extremely self contained and unemotional at games compared to most managers. To suggest he is a master of wind up tactics and theatrics is bizarre. Perhaps you should actually turn up for a few games.

Feb 8, 2005
EFL highlights reveal that Powell was gesticulating with his arms close to Adams, who padded them away, and Powell then grabbed him by the throat, before letting go again.
There's no trace on PAFC highlights or extended highlights.

Mar 14, 2009
I think if Adams wasn’t Argyle manager he would be looked at like many of the lower leagues managers we love to hate.

He is confrontational. He loves to wind up opposition managers and fans.

However, he is the Argyle manager so we excuse his bad behaviour. There are times it amusing and times where he goes too far. Personally, all l care about is how this impacts our players.

So far you have to say it brings the group of players together but l do fear he alienates people. If l was Ainsworth for example l would be thinking

1. Why on earth did you sign me?

2. Why have you never given me a run in the side, considering there has been some really poor results in the past 12 months?

I am not convinced Adams attitude and behaviour is any better than a lot of lower league managers we have berated on here but we are fickle fans and let it go mainly unnoticed because he has brought successful results and that means people will forgive a lot of his antics.

Aug 2, 2011
Metal_Green_Mickey":8v19i6it said:
I think if Adams wasn’t Argyle manager he would be looked at like many of the lower leagues managers we love to hate.

However, he is the Argyle manager so we excuse his bad behaviour. There are times it amusing and times where he goes too far. Personally, all l care about is how this impacts our players.

So far you have to say it brings the group of players together but l do fear he alienates people. If l was Ainsworth for example l would be thinking

2. Why have you never given me a run in the side, considering there has been some really poor results in the past 12 months?

I am not convinced Adams attitude and behaviour is any better than a lot of lower league managers we have berated on here but we are fickle fans and let it go mainly unnoticed because he has brought successful results and that means people will forgive a lot of his antics.

Absolute nonsense. Adams stands in the box, arms folded and rarely makes any emotional gestures. He has never been one for running back and forwards making wild gstures at one and all - as many managers do. Some people need to attend more games or open their eyes.

Mar 14, 2009
Presto":2tsdkpbr said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2tsdkpbr said:

Absolute nonsense. Adams stands in the box, arms folded and rarely makes any emotional gestures. He has never been one for running back and forwards making wild gstures at one and all - as many managers do. Some people need to attend more games or open their eyes.

I’m a season ticket holder.

It’s not like he doesn’t have previous. Just look at his record at Ross County. We are talking a confrontation with Chris Powell here, hardly a Steve Evans is he? Powell shouldn’t of grabbed Adams. However, Adams shouldn’t of come out of his technical area and antagonise him. Are we honestly saying Adams doesn’t have any responsibility for his actions and that all those incidents at Ross County weren’t his fault either.

It’s all handbags at dawn. It’s what makes Adams and many other managers tick. It’s like great threatre with the odd occasional bad performance.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I couldn’t see what happened from the Lyndhurst. As I understand it, Ryan Taylor and Demetriou had a ‘coming together’ and Demetriou went to the ground as though he had been knocked unconscious.
Did he have to be substituted with a broken jaw or was he bleeding profusely? Was Taylor booked by the referee for that incident?
Can Powell not understand that Adams was annoyed that Cox was trying to suggest that Taylor, a fellow professional, should be sent off?
A ‘heat of the moment’ incident that both managers should be gentlemanly enough to resolve between themselves.

Feb 8, 2005
Likewise, on the Lyndhurst, but Taylor and Demetrou went up for a ball, Demetrou stayed down for longer than was really necessary. Cox came over to the fourth official, trying to persuade him that Taylor had used excessive force. Adams shouted at Cox to be quiet and Powell took exception. Both managers exchanged words and I think Powell then saw red and things escalated.

Prior to the match Powell talked about getting revenge - http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/16411012.shrimpers-boss-chris-is-seeking-revenge/

Centre back John White talksed about having a physical battle with Taylor and talks about how sharp Taylor's elbows were on Michael Turner's face the last time we met - http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/16411082.southend-united-defender-john-white-sets-away-day-targets/

It was obvious that Southend were going to target Taylor, because of the previous encounter last season and this incident is just one example of one team trying to influence the referee, and the other team getting on and trying to play football.

Unfortunately, Southend were the better team on the day, and we were fortunate to come away with a point. We didn't have many battlers, we didn't tackle, we tried to play football but it didn't work out. Southend were the stronger team with a much stronger will to win the ball.

It will be interesting to see what will happen in the return game.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I wasn't going to weigh in this heavily but I've got to be honest and say that I think some of the stuff posted on this thread is absolute garbage.

It almost seems like some people just want Adams to fail, and because they can't go after his record as a manager they're going to unfairly go after his character.

When we first appointed Adams, with the reports we were getting from Scottish fans & media, I was expecting this short tempered, controversial figure who would have weekly bust ups with opponents and maybe even his own players. I don't think that could be more wrong. What I've seen is a composed, sensible manager who very rarely looses his temper, and simply tries to gain a psychological edge at times. The vast majority of the time, Adams looks calm and composed in his thoughts on the touch line, like ALL managers, he occasionally becomes animated and these incidents are magnified in the media & therefore blown up.

As a fan I don't 'excuse' Adams for his 'antics' because I don't believe I need to. I'm happy to have a manager who cares about this club, a manager who has committed his long term future to the club, a manager who embraces the club, the fan base and the local community. On the occasions I've spoken to Derek Adams and asked him questions, I've always found him to be very polite, interested and very attentative to fans.

When he arrived at Argyle, he said "I'll look after your football club" and for me, he hasn't let us down in the slightest.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Cobi Budge":1xz3jq5b said:
I wasn't going to weigh in this heavily but I've got to be honest and say that I think some of the stuff posted on this thread is absolute garbage.

It almost seems like some people just want Adams to fail, and because they can't go after his record as a manager they're going to unfairly go after his character.

When we first appointed Adams, with the reports we were getting from Scottish fans & media, I was expecting this short tempered, controversial figure who would have weekly bust ups with opponents and maybe even his own players. I don't think that could be more wrong. What I've seen is a composed, sensible manager who very rarely looses his temper, and simply tries to gain a psychological edge at times. The vast majority of the time, Adams looks calm and composed in his thoughts on the touch line, like ALL managers, he occasionally becomes animated and these incidents are magnified in the media & therefore blown up.

As a fan I don't 'excuse' Adams for his 'antics' because I don't believe I need to. I'm happy to have a manager who cares about this club, a manager who has committed his long term future to the club, a manager who embraces the club, the fan base and the local community. On the occasions I've spoken to Derek Adams and asked him questions, I've always found him to be very polite, interested and very attentative to fans.

When he arrived at Argyle, he said "I'll look after your football club" and for me, he hasn't let us down in the slightest.

:clap: :clap: :clap: . Accurate assessment to the word in my book Cobi