Video Tactical Analysis: Southend United Match #2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Video Tactical Analysis: Southend United Match #2

Feb 17, 2017
Hi everyone, here is the new tactical analysis video for the second game against Southend United. I have tried a few new ideas in this one, including a few video clips from the game and some different effects. Hope you all enjoy it and let me know your thoughts, any suggestions welcome.

https://youtu.be/r4JZ982d-9Q
Updated video - Longer between frames - extra goal analysis - Walsall removed

I have also uploaded a short video explaining how we should build up from the back using a 4-3-3 as we seemed have stopped doing this so far this season.

https://youtu.be/4MHN5j_KQ4U

Yep, interesting vids again. I will comment on here rather than in the YT comments if thats ok with
you.
As i wrote in the pasoti synopsis thread i thought they were more a 4411 than 442 with a number 10
type in there finding space in front of our back 4 and then running at them. I agree with you about us
being very narrow. It helped them outnumber us at times in CM and also gave them lots of space out wide.
Though i thought we switched more to a 4141 and play more on the counter to combat this about 20mins or so in .
But i also felt we were too rigid in our play and lacked any fluidity. Very little short passing from back to front.
There was generally too much directness to our play.

Our 2 CBs the main culprits. Gotta hoof clear at times but they were doing it with time and in space.
Last season our CBs/FBs were carrying it forward when in space to draw markers out. Our 2 No 10s could then
drop deeper into midfield areas to give us the numerical advantage to pass our way through them.
We need to get TLC involved much more. Their key players in the way we play. 2 games in and so far they
just havnt been used/effective enough.
Vyner and bradley were very comfortable on the ball last term. Eddy and woottsie though?
Jurys def out for me after watching the game saturday.

Your other vid describes how we need to pass our way out from the back.
Interesting with your diagram it shows the 433 spread wide to illustrate all of this.
i can actually see a 343 in there now with those WBs showing up high like that.
Just gotta put yanner in foxys position. Which we actually did do late on to pretty good effect on saturday.
Though he was more sitting in front rather than dropping back into a back 3.
Not far away from a 3CB/WB system though. A 343 would accomodate WBs. 2 no 10s and a playmaker if
required. It could also easily be switched from a 433. Obviously if we do decide to play a 433 with yanner
sitting then that would probably make us more direct not less. Though in a 343 one of the CMs could
play a deeper playmaker role to keep the short passing style.
Just have to wait and see what plan DA actually comes up with.
Or perhaps a bit more sweat on the training ground is all thats required.
All good stuff though. Thanks again for the vids and thread. :thumbs:

May 8, 2011
In the tactical analysis is it possible to identify when Southend decided to settle for a point and started time wasting at throw ins as well as the substitutions?

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I note there was confusion that Argyle were playing Walsall a couple of times rather than Southend, but that apart, I appreciate the analysis. It makes you wonder how DA did not better recognise Argyle's failings earlier in the game.

Feb 17, 2017
The video has now be re rendered- Walsall mention has being removed, extended time frames between slides and also extra goal analysis, i have also used a new converter so the quality is higher :)

HC Green they basically started time wasting when we brought Yann on they pretty much killed the game from that point on.
I really do not understand that adams could not see they had us outnumbered in midfield 4 v 3, im sure he probably did know but rectifying with the options on the bench maybe was the problem.
Good ideas there fat green belly, the 4-3-3 video is to illustrate ball rotation in possesion, the full backs are spread high to make the forwards make a decision on whether to mark the centre backs or the full backs which creates the space to play out.
I think the team at the moment is a little bit disjointed and we are playing a formation that does not suit all of our players.

Jun 10, 2011
Yes these are good videos however I would suggest one thing. There is not long enough to read your comments and look at the playing area diagram. It’s all a bit rushed. There needs to be time to read the comment then look at the diagram.

Keep up the good work though.

Feb 17, 2017
watkin":wlzpvjgx said:
Yes these are good videos however I would suggest one thing. There is not long enough to read your comments and look at the playing area diagram. It’s all a bit rushed. There needs to be time to read the comment then look at the diagram.

Keep up the good work though.

Hi watkin, i have now modified the video and extended the frames. In future videos i will make them longer but i did not want the video to be too long, i would suggest pausing at parts you do not get time to read and evaluate, sometimes it can take a minute in a slide to fully understand what is happening :)

Jul 29, 2010
Lots of work has gone into that so well done Neil, the question that follows in no way seeks to criticise your efforts or your undoubted good intentions.

Inadvertently however, does this not go at least some way to assist the planning and preparation for our forthcoming opponents?

As we know Derek doesn't vary his basic tactical blueprint too often. Scouts will scout, they always have, but does this not make it a bit easier for them to identify weaknesses, highlight trends and how other teams have sought to nullify us.

A team will usually have the opposition 'watched' but they tend to only do that once or maybe twice before a fixture. Having a universally available library built up over time exposing the long term trends of our tactics too might be counter productive.

Message boards exist and tactics are discussed, rightly so. But these just represent individual opinions, no use for scouting. Laying it out in pictorial/graphic form is however factual and thus more beneficial than opinion.

I would wager Derek would rather this wasn't 'out there'.

Feb 17, 2017
X Isle":29by9yq9 said:
Lots of work has gone into that so well done Neil, the question that follows in no way seeks to criticise your efforts or your undoubted good intentions.

Inadvertently however, does this not go at least some way to assist the planning and preparation for our forthcoming opponents?

As we know Derek doesn't vary his basic tactical blueprint too often. Scouts will scout, they always have, but does this not make it a bit easier for them to identify weaknesses, highlight trends and how other teams have sought to nullify us.

A team will usually have the opposition 'watched' but they tend to only do that once or maybe twice before a fixture. Having a universally available library built up over time exposing the long term trends of our tactics too might be counter productive.

Message boards exist and tactics are discussed, rightly so. But these just represent individual opinions, no use for scouting. Laying it out in pictorial/graphic form is however factual and thus more beneficial than opinion.

Im flattered X isle that you think my analysis could be used to that extent, i honestly believe though that teams have scouts that are more qualified than me when it comes to preparing a team. It is also one thing knowing what a team does but it is entirely different trying to stop it. There are numerous videos analysing Liverpool from last season and there counter attacking system, this did not help other teams in anyway from stopping it though.
This is also just my interpretation of the game, other people may not agree :)

Jun 24, 2008
Enjoyed your video once again. I cannot complain with any of your views and found it educational. Looking forward to more! Thanks for your efforts.

Jul 29, 2010
Neilz5419":2uj5n11l said:
X Isle":2uj5n11l said:

Im flattered X isle that you think my analysis could be used to that extent, i honestly believe though that teams have scouts that are more qualified than me when it comes to preparing a team. It is also one thing knowing what a team does but it is entirely different trying to stop it. There are numerous videos analysing Liverpool from last season and there counter attacking system, this did not help other teams in anyway from stopping it though.
This is also just my interpretation of the game, other people may not agree :)
We do not have Salah, Firminho and Mane mind.

I take your point though :wink: