Signed and sealed The Grandstand contract has been signed!! | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Signed and sealed The Grandstand contract has been signed!!

Mar 21, 2013
The Grumpy Loyal":2fv59c0c said:
Biggs":2fv59c0c said:
Don't_Panic":2fv59c0c said:
Doesn’t matter what it is or how stupid, any ammo will do.

:lol:

Have I read that right? Grumps is criticising James Brent for publicly confirming he was trying to get the best possible deal for PAFC?

Ridiculous, though he’s entirely reasonable compared to the vitriol on other platforms.

Come on Biggsy, there were obviously bigger things afoot to delay things for months than James doing a bit of negotiating. But to suggest it was, for me, is laughable and embarrassingly small-time.

Can you imagine getting a quote for an extension on your house from a builder, then you spend the next few months desperately trying to haggle to price down? The builder is before long going to think " who is this joker".

That's where PAFC is at this moment in history though. More's the pity.

Just because you believe that, doesn’t make it so. To think that Argyle currently appear a joke?? Because the owner wanted to negotiate the best deal for us, whilst work has been currently going on??? I really don’t think anyone here will convince you otherwise & vice versus I’m sure, but you really need to be challenged when you come out with such hyperbole.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
That’s exactly what it is... hyperbole.

To suggest that a small delay in negotiating a large scale construction contract points negatively to where we are ‘at this moment in history’ is somewhere between laughable and pathetic.

To use a phrase like that when we’ve seen year on year improvement on and off the pitch, a promotion and finally a grandstand development is actually rather insulting to everyone who works at Home Park.

With an entirely straight face, you’re criticising our chairman for haggling to get the best possible price for possibly a few weeks or even days delay (or maybe none at all with the changing rooms. You can bet Daniel Levy will have done the same with Spurs’ new stadium, which has missed its target date by a lot longer than the grandstand will. Are they at a low moment in their history too?

The sad thing is, if it had gone substantially over budget, you’d have been saying ‘some businessman Brent is, how the hell did he let that happen?’

Mar 21, 2013
Well reading the link to the Herald on the ‘changing rooms’ thread about the temporary changing rooms which will help speed up the development is good news isn’t it grumpy? Good to know they’re thinking about these things to help enable things to be completed on schedule.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Don't_Panic":34cprhra said:
The Grumpy Loyal":34cprhra said:
Biggs":34cprhra said:
Don't_Panic":34cprhra said:

Have I read that right? Grumps is criticising James Brent for publicly confirming he was trying to get the best possible deal for PAFC?

Ridiculous, though he’s entirely reasonable compared to the vitriol on other platforms.

Come on Biggsy, there were obviously bigger things afoot to delay things for months than James doing a bit of negotiating. But to suggest it was, for me, is laughable and embarrassingly small-time.

Can you imagine getting a quote for an extension on your house from a builder, then you spend the next few months desperately trying to haggle to price down? The builder is before long going to think " who is this joker".

Just because you believe that, doesn’t make it so. To think that Argyle currently appear a joke?? Because the owner wanted to negotiate the best deal for us, whilst work has been currently going on??? I really don’t think anyone here will convince you otherwise & vice versus I’m sure, but you really need to be challenged when you come out with such hyperbole.

I don''t ever mind being challenged. Can you imaging how dull these boards would be if every single poster thought the sun shone out of Brents arse?

As I've said before though, everyone has different aspirations. The typical Janner mentality depresses me. I'm not and never have been happy to just exist, which so many on here are - just happy to have a club to support. I want more. A city this size deserves more. So when I see what Brent brought to the table with his original plans, I'm alarmed. Nothing much he has done since has broke any mould, has it?

As I say, unlike many, I'm just not easily impressed.

Aug 5, 2005
dunlop":22yczpgm said:
There is none so blind as those who can see.

Dunlop - you're like some random phrase generator in a fortune cookie factory.

It would be lovely if you could at some point tell us what you mean. At least Grumps explains why he is concerned.

Mar 21, 2013
Quizmike":1e5lvgkn said:
dunlop":1e5lvgkn said:
There is none so blind as those who can see.

Dunlop - you're like some random phrase generator in a fortune cookie factory.

It would be lovely if you could at some point tell us what you mean. At least Grumps explains why he is concerned.

Indeed, I don’t have a problem so much that grumpy is concerned it’s what he believe he’s concerned about & how he goes about it. Nothing comments like that from Dunlop are clearly just fishing for attention.

Mar 21, 2013
The Grumpy Loyal":x3k19rm1 said:
Don't_Panic":x3k19rm1 said:
The Grumpy Loyal":x3k19rm1 said:
Biggs":x3k19rm1 said:
Don't_Panic":x3k19rm1 said:

I don''t ever mind being challenged. Can you imaging how dull these boards would be if every single poster thought the sun shone out of Brents arse?

As I've said before though, everyone has different aspirations. The typical Janner mentality depresses me. I'm not and never have been happy to just exist, which so many on here are - just happy to have a club to support. I want more. A city this size deserves more. So when I see what Brent brought to the table with his original plans, I'm alarmed. Nothing much he has done since has broke any mould, has it?

I have ambition for the city like I do Argyle, I think sometimes you can’t go from 0 to 100 just like that & if the alternative is to just stick with what you have hoping for something that isn’t possible or instead a more realistic, affordable proposal then that it was it is. I look at the janner approach differently in that too many people would rather nothing happens & to leave what is (both argyle & the city) as opposed to steady & achievable progression. There’s things happening in the city centre that I wouldn’t maybe choose myself but if the alternative was to leave a building or site derelict for years for the perfect, impossible dream development then I’ll take steady progress & improvement any day, the same logic I apply to Argyle.

And to show I’m not in a love in with Brent, he’s progress with the pavilions site & when he had the Civic centre has been incredibly disappointing so far.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
The Grumpy Loyal":ps094r3j said:

Who are these people that are happy just to exist?

Every person that is happy with how the club is run, will point to year-on-year progress on and off the pitch, and a promotion. What are YOU expecting?

Feb 8, 2005
The Grumpy Loyal":3elgde6e said:
Don't_Panic":3elgde6e said:
The Grumpy Loyal":3elgde6e said:
Biggs":3elgde6e said:
Don't_Panic":3elgde6e said:

I think this is where the problem lies.

Nearly all of the fanbase are more than happy that Brent prevented us from going out of existence.

Plymouth Argyle would have been no more.

Home Park would have been covered in cobwebs because the ground was in the hands of the Council and they could not have prevented the football club from going out of existence. No-one could prevent that from happening, except that a Mr James Brent, reluctantly, bought the Club (and all its huge debts) for £1. Can you imagine doing that yourself? Paying £1 in order that your club might survive, but having to pay the day to day running costs, the players wages, the staff wages, and on top of that taking on over £millions of football debt that had to be repaid to people who were owed it from previous years. No getting out of all that, I'm afraid.

Plymouth Argyle would have folded. No more football team (although I expect it would have started again at the lowest level); no more Home Park (although there were those that thought Albion may have been able to have taken over the rental, the rugby posts wouldn't have been a problem, the facility was already there!).

Maybe Plymouth Parkway would have then been the main football club to progress in Plymouth.

We are all aware what James Brent has done for this football club. It hasn't gone out of existence. Over time all debts have been paid, Home Park has returned to the Club's ownership, we didn't lose our football league status (some will say that was down to John Sheridan, and I would agree, but who put him in as manager?), we have progressed on and off the field of play every year on year since he has been at the helm, and although his original plans for a new grandstand were scuppered, he has brought Simon Hallett and his wife on board, who have provided the finance (at very favorable interest rates for the club) for the grandstand to be refurnished instead, with the provision of creating extra revenue for the Club in order that it can continue to progress forwards into the future.

Now I may be wrong, but how can anyone criticise what James Brent has done with the football club since he purchased it? Not all things have gone his way, and there have been alterations as he has gone along, and not everybody will have agreed with what he has done or how he has done it, not everyone ever does, but hey, could YOU have done any better? Could you have put your hand in your pocket, taken out a pound coin and say "I'll save this football club from going out of existence, I'll pay off all the football debt, I'll pay all the staff wages, I'll purchase the ground from the Council, I'll get a manager to stop us from going out of the football league, I'll even get us a manager that will get us promoted and I'll give him a 5 year contract when he does. I'll even find extra investment so that we can have a grandstand worthy of the twenty first century, to provide a bit more comfort for our customers, to help find new ones and to increase the day to day income to help the Club in the future.

We can all pick holes in what he has done, is doing and will do, that is the nature of the human in us all, but they are minor details and are insignificant in this scenario.

When somebody suggests that they want more, then they must remember that Rome wasn't built in a day.

I'm sure that we would all like more, Grumpy, and you do sound like a spoilt child who wants everything NOW, but we all know that a bit of patience is needed if our ambitions are to be realised. Slowly slowly catchee monkey. We cannot travel too fast because the infrastructure isn't there to take things too quickly, but there are plans in place to make our future worth waiting for.

Mar 21, 2013
A great post well put, but then I would say that as I agree with everything in it, sadly I think however well said it was it still won’t convince those who’s minds are already made up regarding Brent.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

jimsing":3addrou8 said:
The Grumpy Loyal":3addrou8 said:
Don't_Panic":3addrou8 said:
The Grumpy Loyal":3addrou8 said:
Biggs":3addrou8 said:
Don't_Panic":3addrou8 said:

I think this is where the problem lies.

You've demonstrated my point perfectly in 8 words there.

Your Janner mentality see's it to be a 'problem' to not want what we've had for our entire history - humdrum mediocrity.

That's not me, I'm afraid.

Feb 8, 2005
Wow, Grumps, you think Brent's time at PAFC is "humdrum mediocrity"?

It's worse than I thought, Sister, get him into the operating theatre immediately!!!

Aug 5, 2005
Until a new investor turns up, which the new facilities will help, I don't see how supporting the current regime is settling for mediocrity.

Brent knows that he doesnt have the funds for the Championship and will have to stand aside sometime. The Halletts know this as well- don't forget their loan will build the new facilities and will increase the value of their shareholding in the end. But attacking the Chairman (as other do elsewhere) will not help the search for new money.