Trialists you rated but managers didnt | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Trialists you rated but managers didnt

Jun 28, 2018
There are times when I have seen a trialist and think we have to sign them up,only for the manager to not share my view and they are usually correct as I can't think of many that we tried who have gone on to better things
I remember not long after I started supporting Argyle,it was just after the 86 world cup and we had a trialist called Aharon Fadida,he not only resembled Maradonna but seemed similar in style All be at a much lower level lol
It may have been my young naive age but I couldn't believe when we didn't sign him,but Dave Smith knew best as I think he ended up playing for Saltash lol
Anyone else remember any such occasions ?

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
None that I fancied but manager didn't, plenty the other way round but also plenty gems came from trials

If pushed I'd say I was impressed with a guy who I think had a decent career at Coventry or Norwich or summin, scored a cracker from 30+yards bout 12 years ago...that's all I've got I'm afraid

lipsonlad67

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 17, 2016
Deepest Lincolnshire
Thanks for that Greenfrom85'. I'd wondered for years what that Maradona lookalike was called, now I know.

Saw him play against Chelsea and Charlton that pre-season, can't recall him making a great impression on me I'm afraid. I think we were turned over about 6-0 in the Charlton game, so perhaps he wasn't the only one.

Jun 28, 2018
lipsonlad67":1lpn3ejs said:
Thanks for that Greenfrom85'. I'd wondered for years what that Maradona lookalike was called, now I know.

Saw him play against Chelsea and Charlton that pre-season, can't recall him making a great impression on me I'm afraid. I think we were turned over about 6-0 in the Charlton game, so perhaps he wasn't the only one.

I probably got carried away with the Maradonna resemblance lol

May 22, 2006
We had a trialist who scored a worldie in a 7-3 win over Bristol Rovers. We thought he was an absolute shoe-in to sign but Ollie sent him back. I remember nothing except that he was a short-arse. Edit: Wikipedia informs me it was Paul McVeigh.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Ham Green":3sqwzbx8 said:
We had a trialist who scored a worldie in a 7-3 win over Bristol Rovers. We thought he was an absolute shoe-in to sign but Ollie sent him back. I remember nothing except that he was a short-arse. Edit: Wikipedia informs me it was Paul McVeigh.

All of 5ft 6in.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Not necessarily trialists but does anybody remember the "almost" signings of Mario Haas and Jurgen Saumel?

Seemed like they were signing for ages and then never did...

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Like all signatures of trialists and apprentice retention decisions they are all by definition largely subjective. Some will come back to bite the manager in the bum, but I reckon they are at least 90% correct. It would be interesting to know whether it is done by committee amongst the coaches at Argyle, or by DA solely.

Aug 5, 2016
Thomas Edwards":18p4k6at said:
Not necessarily trialists but does anybody remember the "almost" signings of Mario Haas and Jurgen Saumel?

Also not a trialist, but I thought Nathan Thomas was an exciting and fantastic player at the time as Sheridan wasn't playing him and wanted him out. Most fans seemed non plussed when we released him. He was the best thing about watching Argyle back then in my opinion, a terrific aggressive threat to have. It didn't surprise me he impressed enough clubs after Argyle to warrant a few big money moves.

Mar 23, 2008
Talking to trialists, remember seeing Luke Daley rip a QPR full back to shreds and was so chuffed we signed him but looked bang average in the league

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Deacster":27dpfx93 said:
Talking to trialists, remember seeing Luke Daley rip a QPR full back to shreds and was so chuffed we signed him but looked bang average in the league

You're being very generous. For my money the worst player i've seen for us and that year we had a few real bad ones. Ladji Soukouna running him very close along with Craig Sutherland. Even madder to think we had Ben Gibson in that squad.

Apr 1, 2009
Knibbsworth":fi4h30qx said:
Thomas Edwards":fi4h30qx said:

Also not a trialist, but I thought Nathan Thomas was an exciting and fantastic player at the time as Sheridan wasn't playing him and wanted him out. Most fans seemed non plussed when we released him. He was the best thing about watching Argyle back then in my opinion, a terrific aggressive threat to have. It didn't surprise me he impressed enough clubs after Argyle to warrant a few big money moves.

A few big money moves? I think Sheff Utd paid £300-350k for him from Hartlepool, but that's the only significant money paid for him.

I agree that he was exciting, but he was also inconsistent. He had a good spell at Hartlepool, but otherwise seems to have flattered to deceive throughout his career. Three and a half years after leaving us, he's just signed a season's loan at L2 Notts County, suggesting that the undoubted potential remains unfulfilled.

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Ham Green":ynbgy55x said:

Exactly the one I was thinking of in my post. Good work, didn't sleep well not knowing