Neil Hague

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
ghost of hughie reed":igsw6scj said:
I remember as a kid entering the ground 5 mins before the end to see Neil heading a last minute winner from a corner v non league Yeovil in an early early round of the fa cup.
A brilliant memory to but it looks as if he scored in a 1-0 win over Hendon in the first round in 1972 which led us to a second round tie away at Yeovil where we won 2-0. Dowling and Welsh got the goals. The crowd at Yeovil was nearly twice as big as the Argyle attendance against Hendon.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
memory man":1l0yll0f said:
ghost of hughie reed":1l0yll0f said:
I remember as a kid entering the ground 5 mins before the end to see Neil heading a last minute winner from a corner v non league Yeovil in an early early round of the fa cup.
A brilliant memory to but it looks as if he scored in a 1-0 win over Hendon in the first round in 1972 which led us to a second round tie away at Yeovil where we won 2-0. Dowling and Welsh got the goals. The crowd at Yeovil was nearly twice as big as the Argyle attendance against Hendon.

Ah Hendon....I can see why they call you memory man.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
ghost of hughie reed":2mdf50il said:
memory man":2mdf50il said:
ghost of hughie reed":2mdf50il said:

Ah Hendon....I can see why they call you memory man.
I do have back-up to check on the memory. I just recall Tony Waiters organising a practice match on a sloping pitch somewhere in Plymouth in readiness for a trip to Yeovil. We had quite a run of early round games against non-League in those days.

Oct 24, 2010
Does anybody remember Jim McAnearney scoring a wonder goal at Home Park circa 1962/3? I have a vivid recall of a volley from only a few yards in the opposition half and near to the right touchline flying into the top corner at the Barn Park end. I maybe mistaken, I was very young at the time and I used to dream about Argyle (instead if the nightmares in later years) so it may never have happened.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
esmer":2hdfetbz said:
Does anybody remember Jim McAnearney scoring a wonder goal at Home Park circa 1962/3? I have a vivid recall of a volley from only a few yards in the opposition half and near to the right touchline flying into the top corner at the Barn Park end. I maybe mistaken, I was very young at the time and I used to dream about Argyle (instead if the nightmares in later years) so it may never have happened.
I saw every home game he played but cannot recall that one! I met Jim a lot during his final years and despite his modesty he would have relived such a goal over and over. I will have a look back at his career and see if that will help me summon up a memory. During the 61-62 resurgence under Ellis Stuttard he was a regular scorer.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
memory man":37vfc8rz said:
esmer":37vfc8rz said:
I saw every home game he played but cannot recall that one! I met Jim a lot during his final years and despite his modesty he would have relived such a goal over and over. I will have a look back at his career and see if that will help me summon up a memory. During the 61-62 resurgence under Ellis Stuttard he was a regular scorer.
Did he re-live the 'goal' he 'scored' against Preston in August 1962, MM?
I was standing on the Mayflower Terrace, in line with the penalty area at the Devonport End, and I, like many others, was certain that Jimmy's shot went in through the side netting. The referee was persuaded to inspect the netting by the Preston players but he still awarded the goal.
It didn't affect the result as we won 7-1.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
davie nine":1t76wv4o said:
memory man":1t76wv4o said:
esmer":1t76wv4o said:
Did he re-live the 'goal' he 'scored' against Preston in August 1962, MM?
I was standing on the Mayflower Terrace, in line with the penalty area at the Devonport End, and I, like many others, was certain that Jimmy's shot went in through the side netting. The referee was persuaded to inspect the netting by the Preston players but he still awarded the goal.
It didn't affect the result as we won 7-1.
That is where I was inclined to go, but I don't think it went flying into the top corner from the right touchline. I have match reports of every Saturday game from 1959 to 1963 but not midweek games. But I will look at what the Football Herald said the next Saturday and want the Independent said the next Sunday. Jim himself talked of a game that season against Walsall being one of his best - I think we won 3-0 and he scored twice. He also had a magnificent game on Boxing Day 1962 when we came from 2 down to beat Cardiff 4-2 on a frozen HP pitch. I am sure he scored twice that day and that one of them was a bit special.

Oct 24, 2010
memory man":2wsk5klw said:
esmer":2wsk5klw said:
Sounds like I dreamt it then. It is a bit suspicious that around the same time I scored an identical one at the Devonport End when we beat Real Madrid on our way to our third European Cup win